Recent alcohol intake and suicidality — a neuropsychological perspective
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Alcohol use disorders and suicidal behaviours are among the most prevalent and damaging of all psychiatric phenomena in Ireland and worldwide. Furthermore, alcohol use both chronic and acute has long been identified as a potent risk factor for suicidal behaviour.
In this paper, the authors review the observational and experimental evidence for the acute neuropsychological effects of alcohol intake on suicidal ideation and behaviour.
A selective review of the literature was conducted, using the PubMed database. Search terms employed included ‘alcohol’, ‘suicide’, ‘binge’ and ‘acute alcohol intake’.
Cognitive mechanisms implicated include alcohol-induced deficits in attention-allocation, prospective cognition, autobiographical memory and disinhibition. Emotional mechanisms include alcohol-induced dysphoria, depression and aggression.
This paper serves to highlight the importance of identifying and tackling acute alcohol intake and binge drinking as a risk factor for suicidal behaviour.
- World Health Organization. www.who.int accessed 08/01/2005.
- O’Connell, H, Chin, AV, Lawlor, BA (2003) Alcohol use in Ireland-can we hold our drink?. Ir J Psychol Med 20: pp. 109-110
- Kessler, RC, McGonagle, KA, Zhao, S (1994) Lifetime and 12-month prevalence of DSM-III-R psychiatric disorders in the United States. Arch Gen Psychiatry 51: pp. 8-19
- O’Connell, H, Clare, AW (2004) Nearly lethal suicide attempt-implications for research and prevention. Ir J Psych Med 21: pp. 131-133
- Murphy, GE, Wetzel, RD (1990) The lifetime risk of suicide in alcoholism. Arch Gen Psychiatry 47: pp. 383-392
- Roy, A, Linnoila, M (1986) Alcoholism and suicide. Suicide Life Threat Behav 16: pp. 244-273
- Borges, G, Rovovsky, H (1996) Suicide attempts and alcohol consumption in an emergency room sample. J Stud Alcohol 57: pp. 543-548
- Young, MA, Fogg, LF, Scheftner, WA, Fawcett, JA (1994) Interactions of risk factors in predicting suicide. Am J Psychiatry 151: pp. 434-435
- Berglund, M, Ojehagen, A (1998) The influence of alcohol drinking and alcohol use disorders on psychiatric disorders and suicidal behaviour. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 22: pp. 333S-345S CrossRef
- Gorwood, P (2001) Biological markers for suicidal behaviour in alcohol dependence. Eur Psychiatry 16: pp. 410-417 CrossRef
- Foster, T (2001) Dying for a drink. BMJ 323: pp. 817-818 CrossRef
- Inskip, HM, Harris, EC, Barraclough, B (1998) Lifetime risk of suicide for affective disorder, alcoholism and schizophrenia. Br J Psychiatry 172: pp. 35-37 CrossRef
- Wasserman, D, Varnik, A, Eklund, G (1998) Female suicides and alcohol consumption during perestroika in the former USSR. Acta Psychiatr Scand Suppl 394: pp. 26-33 CrossRef
- James, A, Lai, FH, Dahl, C (2004) Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and suicide: a review of possible associations. Acta Psychiatr Scand 110: pp. 408-15 CrossRef
- Rao, R (1998) Suicide in patients with stroke. BMJ 317: pp. 1016-1016
- Gunnell, D, Magnusson, PKE, Rasmussen, F (2005) Low intelligence test scores in 18 year old men and risk of suicide: cohort study. BMJ 330: pp. 167-167 CrossRef
- James, IP, Scott-Orr, DN, Curnow, DH (1963) Blood alcohol levels following attempted suicide. Q J Stud Alcohol 24: pp. 14-22
- Mayfield, DG, Montgomery, D (1972) Alcoholism, alcohol intoxication, and suicide attempts. Arch Gen Psychiatry 27: pp. 349-353
- Merrill, J, Milner, G, Owens, J, Vale, A (1992) Alcohol and attempted suicide. Br J Addict 87: pp. 83-89 CrossRef
- Suokas, J, Lonnqvist, JK (1995) Suicide attempts in which alcohol is involved: a special group in general hospital emergency rooms. Acta Psychiatr Scand 91: pp. 36-40 CrossRef
- Brent, DA, Perper, JA, Aliman, CJ (1987) Alcohol, firearms and suicide among youth. JAMA 257: pp. 3369-72 CrossRef
- Hayward, L, Zubrick, SR, Silburn, S (1992) Blood alcohol levels in suicide cases. J Epidemiol Community Health 46: pp. 256-260 CrossRef
- Hlady, WG, Middaugh, JP (1988) Suicides in Alaska:firearms and alcohol. Am J Public Health 78: pp. 179-180 CrossRef
- Welte, JW, Abel, EL, Wieczorek, W (1988) The role of alcohol in suicides in Erie County, NY, 1972–84. Public Health Rep 103: pp. 648-652
- Cherpitel, CJ, Borges, GL, Wilcox, HC (2004) Acute alcohol use and suicidal behaviour: a review of the literature. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 28: pp. 18S-28S CrossRef
- Vinson, DC, Borges, G, Cherpitel, CJ (2003) The risk of intentional injury with acute and chronic alcohol exposures: a case-control and case-crossover study. J Stud Alcohol 64: pp. 350-7
- Powell, KE, Kresnow, MJ, Mercy, JA (2001) Alcohol consumption and nearly lethal suicide attempts. Suicide Life Threat Behav 32: pp. 30-41 CrossRef
- Hufford, MR (2001) Alcohol and suicidal behaviour. Clinical Psychol Rev 21: pp. 797-811 CrossRef
- Steele, CM, Josephs, RA (1990) Alcohol myopia: its prized and dangerous effects. Am Psychol 45: pp. 921-933 CrossRef
- Heeringen, C, Marusic, A (2003) Understanding the suicidal brain. Br J Psychiatry 183: pp. 282-4 CrossRef
- Marlatt, GA, Kosturn, CF, Lang, AR (1975) Provocation to anger and opportunity for retaliation as determinants of alcohol consumption in social drinkers. J Abnorm Psychol 84: pp. 652-659 CrossRef
- Sayette, MA, Wilson, GT, Elias, MJ (1993) Alcohol and aggression: a social information processing analysis. J Stud Alcohol 54: pp. 399-407
- Recent alcohol intake and suicidality — a neuropsychological perspective
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 174, Issue 4 , pp 51-54
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors