Self-perceived health status of Irish breast cancer survivors
- M. B. O’Sullivan
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
There is a paucity of data on the health status of breast cancer survivors.
To measure the self-perceived health status of a cohort of breast cancer survivors by means of the SF-36 questionnaire.
The questionnaire was administered to 120 survey participants. Findings were compared with those of an external comparison group.
The health status of the survey participants was found to be significantly better than that of the comparison group on four of the eight SF-36 dimensions — social functioning, mental health, vitality and general health perceptions.
The self-perceived health status of breast cancer survivors merits further research in the Irish context. Inclusion of the SF-36 questionnaire as an outcome measure is recommended.
- Long, A, Heaton, J (1995) (UK Clearing House on Health Outcomes). Quality of life: a case study of breast cancer. Outcomes Briefing 6: pp. 22-4
- A National Strategy. Department of Health. Stationary Office, Dublin
- Incidence and Mortality. National Cancer Registry, Ireland
- Scoring Manual for English Language Adaptations: Australia/New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom. Medical Outcomes Trust, Boston
- Ganz, PA, Coscarelli, , Fred, C (1996) Breast cancer survivors: psychosocial concerns and quality of life. British Cancer Research and Treatment 38: pp. 183-99 CrossRef
- Ware, JE, Snow, KK, Kosinski, M, Gandek, B (1993) SF-36 health survey manual and interpretation guide. The Health Institute, New England Medical Centre, Boston, MA
- Statistical package for the social sciences 6.1. SPSS, Chicago
- Lyons, RA, Fielder, H, Littlepage, B (1995) Measuring health status with the SF-36: the need for regional norms. J Public Health Med 17: pp. 46-50
- Epi-Info 6. Version 6.04a. Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), USA. July 1996.
- Winer, EP (1994) Quality of life research in patients with breast cancer. Cancer 74: pp. 410-5 CrossRef
- Self-perceived health status of Irish breast cancer survivors
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 170, Issue 1 , pp 14-17
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- M. B. O’Sullivan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Public Health, Southern Health Board, Sarsfield House, Wilton, Cork, Ireland