Deficiency of ADAMTS13 in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Han-Mou Tsai
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, characterized by the presence of systemic hyaline thrombi in the arterioles and capillaries, is a potentially fatal disease that responds to plasma infusion or exchange. Recent studies have demonstrated that a metalloprotease in the normal plasma cleaves endothelial von Willebrand factor to a series of multimers. A deficiency of the protease, due to autoimmune IgG inhibitors or genetic mutations’, is detected in patients with thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Positional cloning based on kindreds with a genetic deficiency of the protease and amino acid sequencing of the purified protein have identified the protease as a novel member of the ADAMTS (a disintegrin and metalloprotease with thrombospondin type 1 repeat) zinc metalloprotease family located on the long arm of chromosome 9. Mutations of the gene are detected in patients with the congenital form of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. In the circulation, proteolysis of von Willebrand factor is critical in regulating vWF-platelet interaction. These advances in knowledge provide the basis for a rational approach to improving the diagnosis and treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Moschcowitz E. Hyaline thrombosis of the terminal arterioles and capillaries: A hitherto undescribed disease.Proc NYPathol Soc. 1924;24:21–24.
- Ridolfi RL, Bell WR., Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Report of 25 cases and review of the literature.Medicine (Baltimore). 1981;60:413–428. CrossRef
- Rock GA, Shumak KH, Buskard NA, et al. Comparison of plasma exchange with plasma infusion in the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Canadian Apheresis Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1991;325:393–397.
- Bell WR, Braine HG, Ness PM, Kickler TS. Improved survival in thrombotic hrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome. Clinical experience in 108 patients.N Engl J Med. 1991;325:398–403.
- Torok TJ, Holman RC, Chorba TL. Increasing mortality from thrombotic hrombocytopenic purpura in the United States--analysis of national mortality data, 1968–1991.Am J Hematol. 1995;50:84–90. CrossRef
- Shumak KH, Rock GA, Nair RC. Late relapses in patients successfully treated for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Canadian Apheresis Group.Ann Intern Med. 1995;122:569–572.
- Bell WR. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura/hemolytic uremic syndrome relapse: frequency, pathogenesis, and meaning.Semin Hematol. 1997;34:134–139.
- Moake JL, Rudy CK, Troll JH, et al. Unusually large plasma factor VIII: von Willebrand factor multimers in chronic relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.N Engl J Med. 1982;307:1432–1435.
- Asada Y, Sumiyoshi A, Hayashi T, Suzumiya J, Kaketani K. Immunohistochemistry of vascular lesion in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, with special reference to factor VIII related antigen.Thromb Res. 1985;38:467–479. CrossRef
- Chow TW, Turner NA, Chintagumpala M, et al. Increased von Willebrand factor binding to platelets in single episode and recurrent types of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Am J Hematol. 1998;57:293–302. CrossRef
- Tsai HM, Nagel RL, Hatcher VB, Seaton AC, Sussman II. The high molecular weight form of endothelial cell von Willebrand factor is released by the regulated pathway.Br J Haematol. 1991;79:239–245. CrossRef
- Handin RI, Wagner DD. Molecular and cellular biology of von Willebrand factor.Prog Hemost Thromb. 1989;9:233–59.
- Dent JA, Berkowitz SD, Ware J, Kasper CK, Ruggeri ZM. Identification of a cleavage site directing the immunochemical detection of molecular abnormalities in type IIA von Willebrand factor.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1990;87:6306–6310. CrossRef
- Tsai HM, Sussman II, Nagel RL. Shear stress enhances the proteolysis of von Willebrand factor in normal plasma.Blood. 1994;83:2171–2179.
- Tsai HM. Physiologic cleavage of von Willebrand factor by a plasma protease is dependent on its conformation and requires calcium ion.Blood. 1996;87:4235–4244.
- Furlan M, Robles R, Lamie B. Partial purification and characterization of a protease from human plasma cleaving von Willebrand factor to fragments produced by in vivo proteolysis.Blood. 1996;87:4223–4234.
- Tsai HM, Sussman II, Ginsburg D, Lankhof H, Sixma JJ, Nagel RL. Proteolytic cleavage of recombinant type 2A von Willebrand factor mutants R834W and R834Q: inhibition by doxycycline and by monoclonal antibody VP-1.Blood. 1997; 89:1954–1962.
- Siedlecki CA, Lestini BJ, Kottke-Marchant KK, Eppell SJ, Wilson DL, Marchant RE. Shear-dependent changes in the three-dimensional structure of human von Willebrand factor.Blood. 1996;88:2939–2950.
- Slayter H, Loscalzo J, Bockenstedt P, Handin RI. Native conformation of human von Willebrand protein. Analysis by electron microscopy and quasi-elastic light scattering.J Biol Chem. 1995;260:8559–8663.
- Gralnick HR, Williams SB, McKeown LP, et al. In vitro correction of the abnormal multimeric structure of von Willebrand factor in type IIa von Willebrand’s disease.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 1985;82:5968–5972. CrossRef
- Batlle J, Lopez Fernandez MF, Campos M, et al. The heterogeneity of type IIA von Willebrand’s disease: studies with protease inhibitors.Blood. 1986;68:1207–1212.
- Furlan M, Robles R, Galbusera M, et al. von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1578–1584. CrossRef
- Tsai HM, Lian EC. Antibodies to von Willebrand factorcleaving protease in acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1585–1594. CrossRef
- Moake JL, McPherson PD. Abnormalities of von Willebrand factor multimers in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome.Am J Med. 1989;87:9N-15N. CrossRef
- Moake JL, Byrnes JJ, Troll JH, et al. Effects of fresh-frozen plasma and its cryosupernatant fraction on von Willebrand factor multimeric forms in chronic relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Blood. 1985;65:1232–1236.
- Tsai HM, Rice L, Sarode R, Chow TW, Moake JL. Antibody inhibitors to von Willebrand factor metalloproteinase and increased binding of von Willebrand factor to platelets in ticlopidine-associated thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Ann Intern Med. 2000;132:794–799.
- Tsai HM, Li A, Rock G. Inhibitors of von Willebrand factorcleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Clin Lab. 2001;47:387–392.
- Tsai HM. High titers of inhibitors of von Willebrand factor-cleaving metalloproteinase in a fatal case of acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Am J Hematol. 2000;65:251–255. CrossRef
- Schulman I, Pierce M, Lukens A, Currimbhoy Z. Studies on thrombopoiesis. I. A factor in normal human plasma required for platelet production; Chronic thrombocytopenia due to its deficiency.Blood. 1960;16:943–957.
- Upshaw JD Jr. Congenital deficiency of a factor in normal plasma that reverses microangiopathic hemolysis and thrombocytopenia.N Engl J Med., 1978;298:1350–1352.
- Chintagumpala MM, Hurwitz RL, Moake JL, Mahoney DH, Steuber CP. Chronic relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura in infants with large von Willebrand factor multimers during remission.J Pediatr. 1992;120:49–53. CrossRef
- Levy GG, Nichols WC, Lian EC, et al. Mutations in a member of the ADAMTS gene family cause thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Nature. 2001;413:488–494. CrossRef
- Tang BL. ADAMTS: a novel family of extracellular matrix proteases.Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2001;33:33–44. CrossRef
- Sieron AL, Tretiakova A, Jameson BA, et al. Structure and function of procollagen C-proteinase (mTolloid) domains determined by protease digestion, circular dichroism, binding to procollagen type I, and computer modeling.Biochemistry. 2000;39:3231–3239 CrossRef
- Gerritsen HE, Robles R, Lammle B, Furlan M. Partial amino acid sequence of purified von Willebrand factor — cleaving protease.Blood. 2001;98:1654–1661. CrossRef
- Fujikawa K, Suzuki H, McMullen B, Chung D. Purification of human von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease and its identification as a new member of the metalloproteinase family.Blood. 2001;98:1662–1666. CrossRef
- Soejima K, Mimura N, Hirashima M, et al. A novel human metalloprotease synthesized in the liver and secreted into the blood: possibly, the von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease?J Biochem (Tokyo). 2001;130:475–480.
- Zheng X, Chung D, Takayama TK, Majerus EM, Sadler JE, Fujikawa K. Structure of von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease (ADAMTS13), a metalloprotease involved in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.J Biol Chem. 2001;276:41059–41063. CrossRef
- Tsai HM, Chandler WL, Sarode R, et al. Von Willebrand Factor and Von Willebrand Factor-Cleaving Metalloprotease Activity in Escherichia coli O157:H7-Associated Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome.Pediatr Res. 2001;49:653–659. CrossRef
- Hunt BJ, Lammle B, Nevard CH, Haycock GB, Furlan M. von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in childhood diarrhoea-associated haemolytic uraemic syndrome.Thromb Haemost. 2001;85:975–958.
- Veyradier A, Obert B, Houllier A, Meyer D, Girma JP. Specific von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thrombotic microangiopathies: a study of 111 cases.Blood. 2001;98:1765–1772. CrossRef
- van der Plas RM, Schiphorst ME, Huizinga EG, et al. von Willebrand factor proteolysis is deficient in classic, but not in bone marrow transplantation-associated, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Blood. 1999;93:3798–3802.
- Arai S, Allan C, Streiff M, Hutchins GM, Vogelsang GB, Tsai HM. Von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease activity and proteolysis of von Willebrand factor in bone marrow transplant-associated thrombotic microangiopathy.Hematol J. 2001;2:292–299. CrossRef
- Fontana S, Gerritsen HE, Hovinga JK, Furlan M, Lammle B. Microangiopathic haemolytic anaemia in metastasizing malignant tumours is not associated with a severe deficiency of the von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease.Br J Haematol. 2001; 113:100–102. CrossRef
- Gutterman LA, Kloster B, Tsai HM. Rituximab therapy for refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Blood Cells, Molecules, and Diseases 2002 (in press).
- Oleksowicz L, Bhagwati N, DeLeon-Fernandez M. Deficient activity of von Willebrand’s factor-cleaving protease in patients with disseminated malignancies.Cancer Res. 1999;59:2244–2250.
- Moore JC, Hayward CP, Warkentin TE, Kelton JG. Decreased von Willebrand factor protease activity associated with thrombocytopenic disorders.Blood. 2001;98:1842–1846. CrossRef
- Mannucci PM, Canciani MT, Forza I, Lussana F, Lattuada A, Rossi E. Changes in health and disease of the metalloprotease that cleaves von Willebrand factor.Blood. 2001;98:2730–2735. CrossRef
- Obert B, Tout H, Veyradier A, Fressinaud E, Meyer D, Girma JP. Estimation of the von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in plasma using monoclonal antibodies to vWF.Thromb Haemost. 1999;82:1382–1385.
- Gerritsen HE, Turecek PL, Schwarz HP, Lammle B, Furlan M. Assay of von Willebrand factor (vWF)-cleaving protease based on decreased collagen binding affinity of degraded vWF: a tool for the diagnosis of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP).Thromb Haemost. 1999;82:1386–1389.
- Deficiency of ADAMTS13 in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 76, Issue 2 Supplement, pp 132-138
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Han-Mou Tsai (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Hematology, Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine Bronx, New York, USA