Limited value of interictal brain perfusion SPECT for detection of epileptic foci: High resolution SPECT studies in comparison with FDG-PET
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Accurate localization of epileptic foci is important for pre-surgical evaluation of patients with medically intractable epilepsy, and F-18 FDG PET has been proved to be a valuable method for this purpose. To examine the clinical value with interictal brain perfusion SPECT, we performed brain perfusion SPECT of Tc-99m HMPAO by means of a high resolution SPECT camera, and compared the results with F-18 FDG PET images and MRI in 10 patients with medically intractable epilepsy. In 9 of 10 patients (90%), FDG PET images showed focal hypo-metabolism in the area corresponding with the results of electroencephalography (EEG). SPECT images, however, demonstrated hypo-perfused lesions which corresponded with hypo-metabolic lesions on FDG PET images in only 6 cases (60%). Although MRI showed abnormal findings in 8 cases, the lesions were not directly related to epileptic foci in 2 cases. In conclusion, FDG PET is a valuable tool for accurate localization of epileptic foci. Brain perfusion SPECT, however, may not always be paralleled to metabolism visualized on FDG PET images.
- Abou-Khalil BW, Sackellares JC, Latack JT, Vaderzant CW. Magnetic resonance imaging in refractory epilepsy.Epilepsia 25: 650, 1984.
- Laster DW, Penry JK, Moody DM. Chronic seizure disorders: contribution of MR imaging when CT is normal.Am J Neuroradiol 6: 177–180, 1985.
- Latack JT, Abou-Khalil BW, Siegel GJ, Sackellares JC, Gabrielson T, Aisen AM. Patients with partial seizures: evaluation by MR, CT and PET imaging.Radiology 159: 159–163, 1986.
- Sussman NM, Scanlon M, Garfinkle W. Magnetic resonance imaging in temporal lobe epilepsy: comparison with EEG and computed tomography.Epilepsia 25: 650–651, 1984.
- Sperling MR, Wilson G, Engel J Jr, Babb TL, Phelps M, Bradley W. Magnetic resonance imaging in intractable partial epilepsy: correlative studies.Ann Neurol 20: 57–62, 1986. CrossRef
- Ryding E, Rosen I, Elmqvist D, Ingvar DH. SPECT measurements with Tc-99m-HMPAO in focal epilepsy.J Cereb Bloob Flow Metab 8: 95–100, 1988.
- Duncan R, Patterson J, Hadley DM, Wyper DJ, McGeorge AP, Bone I. Tc-99m-HMPAO single photon emission computed tomography in temporal lobe epilepsy.Acta Neurol Scand 81: 287–293, 1990. CrossRef
- Grasso E, Ambrrogio L, Cognazzo A, Gerbino-Promis PC, Zagnoni P, Camuzzini GF, et al. Single photon emission computed tomography with Tc-99m-HMPAO in the study of focal epilepsy.Ital J Neurol Sci 10: 175–179, 1989. CrossRef
- Bonte FJ, Devous MD, Stokely EM, Homan RW. Singlephoton tomographic determination of resional cerebral blood flow in epilepsy.AJNR 4: 544–546, 1983.
- Neirinckx RD, Canning LR, Piper IM, Nowotnik DP, Pickett RD, Holmes RA, et al. Technetium-99m-d,1-HMPAO: A new radiopharmaceutical for SPECT imaging of regional cerebral blood perfusion.J Nucl Med 28: 191–202, 1987.
- Theodore WH, Newmark ME, Sato S, Brooks R, Patronas N, Paz R De La, et al. F-18 Fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in refractory complex partial seizures.Ann Neurol 14: 429–437, 1983. CrossRef
- Henry TR, Mazziotta JC, Engel Jr J, Christenson PD, Zhang JX, Phelps ME, et al. Quantifying interjctal metabolic activity in human temporallobe epilepsy.J Cereb Blood Flow Metab 10: 748–757, 1990.
- Abou-Khalil BW, Siegel GJ, Sackellares JC, Gilman S, Hichwa R, Marshall R. Positron emission tomography studies of cerebral glucose matabolism in chronic partial epilepsy.Ann Neurol 22: 480–486, 1987. CrossRef
- Engel J Jr, Brown WJ, Kuhl DE, Phelps ME, Mazziotta JC, Crandall PH. Pathological findings underlying focal temporal lobe hypometabolism in partial epilepsy.Ann Neurol 12: 518–528, 1982. CrossRef
- Kuhl DE, Engel J Jr, Phelps ME, Selin C. Epileptic patterns of local cerebral metabolism and perfusion in humans determined by emission computed tomography of F-18 FDG and N-13 NH3.Ann Neurol 8: 348–360, 1980. CrossRef
- Engel J Jr, Kuhl DE, Phelps ME, Crandall PH. Comparative localization of epileptic foci in partial epilepsy by PCT and EEG.Ann Neurol 12: 529–537, 1982. CrossRef
- Stefan H, Pawlik G, Bocher-Schwarz HG, Biersack HJ, Burr W, Penin H, et al. Functinal and morphological abnormalities in temporal lobe epilepsy: a comparison of interictal and ictal EEG, CT, MRI, SPECT and PET.J Neurol 234: 377–384, 1987. CrossRef
- Ryvlin P, Philippon B, Cinotti L, Froment JC, Bars D Le, Mauguiere F. Functional neuro imaging strategy in temporal lobe epilepsy: a comparative study of F-18 FDG-PET and Tc-99m HMPAO-SPECT.Ann Neurol 31: 650–656, 1992. CrossRef
- Limited value of interictal brain perfusion SPECT for detection of epileptic foci: High resolution SPECT studies in comparison with FDG-PET
Annals of Nuclear Medicine
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 59-63
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- high resolution SPECT
- FDG PET
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Radiology, Shiga University of Medical Science, Seta Tsukinowacho, 520-21, Otsu, Japan
- 2. Kyoto University School of Medicine, Japan