Silicate bonding of inorganic materials
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The room-temperature setting process in compacts of various silicate and non-silicate mineral particles bonded with sodium silicate was found to be markedly accelerated by treatment with the acidic gases CO2, S02 and H2S, but was unaffected by neutral or alkaline gases. Strength development increases with gassing time up to a maximum value which depends on the Si to Na ratio of the sodium silicate, the nature of the mineral matter and the gas used. Longer gassing times are needed to achieve ultimate strength with sodium silicates of higher pH and gases of lower solubility in water. The chemical species formed by reaction of CO2, S02 and H2S with sodium silicate were investigated by IR spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction and 29-Si solid state NMR spectroscopy.
- Pepplinkhouse, H. J., Davern, W A (1975) J. Aust Ceram. Soc. 11: pp. 42-42
- M. E TYRRELL. I. L. FELD and J. A BARCLAY.US Bur. Mines Rept. Invest. 7605 (1972)
- Nichols, K. E L. (1972) The CO2-Silicate Process in Foundnes. British Cast Iron Research Association, Birmingham
- Ruskin, K, Cihlar, J. (1981) AFS Int. Cast Met. J 6: pp. 56-56
- Taniguchi, S., Ohmi, M, Matsubara, S, Hata, O. (1984) Technol. Rept Osaka Univ. 34: pp. 1759-1759
- K J. D. MACKENZIE, I. W M BROWN and T A. HILL, NZ Patent 212330 (1986).
- P. P BERG and N KH IVANOV.Liteinoe Proizvod. (1967) 17.
- Davies, M. J, Tsunei, H. (1972) Kinzoku 42: pp. 116-116
- Frocht, M. M (1948) “Photoelasticity”, Vol. 2. Wiley, New York
- Mägi, M., Lippmaa, E, Samoson, A, Engel-Hardt, G, Grimmer, A.-R (1984) J Phys. Chern 88: pp. 1518-1518 CrossRef
- Moenke, H. H. W. In: Farmer, V. C. eds. (1974) The Infrared Spectra of Minerals. Mineralogical Society, London
- Pierson, R H, Fletcher, A. N, Clair Gantz, E St (1956) Anal. Chern. 28: pp. 1218-1218 CrossRef
- Numan, Z (1967) Commun. Fac. Sci. Univ. Ankara A16: pp. 1-1
- Giggenbach, W (1971) Inorg. Chem. 10: pp. 1306-1306 CrossRef
- Eysel, H H, Weighardt, G., Kleinschmager, H, Weddigen, G. (1976) Z. Naturforsch. 31B: pp. 415-415
- Ziemann, A., Bues, W (1979) Z. anorg. allg. Chern. 455: pp. 69-69 CrossRef
- “Handbook of Chemistry and Physics”, 62nd Edn (Chemical Rubber Co., Cleveland, Ohio, 1981–2) B73–166.
- Silicate bonding of inorganic materials
Journal of Materials Science
Volume 26, Issue 3 , pp 763-768
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors