The use of high-dose insulin-glucose euglycemia in beta-blocker overdose: A case report
The management of life-threatening beta-blocker toxicity and its associated low cardiac output state is clinically challenging. Previous case reports and case series describe the use of hyperinsulinemia/euglycemia therapy in mono-ingestions of calcium channel blockers and mixed ingestions, including calcium channel and beta-blockers. In this case report we describe the use of high-dose insulin (10 IU/kg per hour) in a case of massive metoprolol ingestion (5 g) in which hypotension was unresponsive to conventional therapies. Although the metoprolol concentrations measured in plasma were approximately 100–200 times therapeutic concentrations, the pharmacokinetics appeared to be similar to therapeutic metoprolol dosing.
- Dollery C. Therapeutic Drugs, Volume 2. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 1991;156–164.
- Wax PM, Erdman AR, Chyka PA, et al. B-blocker ingestion: An evidence-based consensus guideline for out-of-hospital management.Clin Toxicol 2005;43:131–146.
- Reith DM, Dawson AH, Whyte IM, et al. Relative toxicity of beta blockers in overdose.J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 1996; 34(3):273–278. CrossRef
- Dart RC. Medical Toxicology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2004;679–689.
- Kerns W. Management of B-adrenergic blocker and calcium channel antagonist toxicity.Emerg Med Clin N Am 2007;309–331.
- Reikeras O, Gunnes P, Sorlie D, et al. Haemodynamic effects of low and high doses of insulin during beta-receptor blockade in dogs.Clin Physiol 1985;5:455–467. CrossRef
- Kerns W, Schroeder D, Williams C, et al: Insulin improves survival in a canine model of acute B-blocker toxicity.Ann Emerg Med 1997;29 (6):748–757. CrossRef
- Krukenkamp I, Sorlie D, Silverman N, et al. Direct effect of high-dose insulin on the depressed heart after beta-blockade or ischemia.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1986;34:305–309. CrossRef
- Holger JS, Engebretsen KM, Fritzlar SJ, et al. Insulin versus vasopressin and epinephrine to treat b-blocker toxicity.Clin Toxicol 2007;45(4):396–401. CrossRef
- Baselt RC. Disposition of Toxic Drugs and Chemicals in Man, 6th ed. Seal Beach, CA: Biomedical Publications, 2002;700–703.
- Megarbane B, Karyo S, Baud FJ. The role of insulin and glucose (hyperinsulinemia/euglycemia) therapy in acute calcium channel antagonist and b-blocker poisoning.Toxicol Rev 2004;23(4):215–222. CrossRef
- Weinstein RS. Recognition and management of poisoning with beta-adrenergic blocking agents.Ann Emerg Med 1984;13:1123–1131. CrossRef
- The use of high-dose insulin-glucose euglycemia in beta-blocker overdose: A case report
Journal of Medical Toxicology
Volume 5, Issue 3 , pp 139-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- high-dose insulin
- beta-blocker toxicity
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Clinical Toxicology and Pharmacology, Calvary Mater Newcastle Hospital, 2310, Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
- 2. Department of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, Path West Laboratory Medicine WA, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
- 3. Discipline of Clinical Pharmacology, Faculty of Health, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, NSW, Australia
- 4. Tropical Toxicology Unit, Menzies School of Health Research, Charles Darwin University, Darwin, Australia