Effects of amiodarone in a swine model of nortryptiline toxicity
Antiarrhythmics can have devastating effects in cardiotoxic poisonings. Amiodarone is recommended for treatment of wide complex tachycardia, but its hemodynamic effects in wide complex tachycardia induced by tricyclic antidepressant poisoning are unknown. The objective of this study was to compare the effects of sodium bicarbonate, amiodarone, and normal saline in treating wide complex tachycardia secondary to nortriptyline poisoning.
This unblended randomized controlled animal study involved 18 anesthetized, intubated pigs with arterial and venous lines. Nortriptyline (2 mg/mL) was infused at 20 mg/min until the onset of toxicity, defined as a systolic blood pressure ≤50 mmHg or QRS ≥120 ms. At that point, the pigs were randomized into three groups of six. Group I received 0.9% normal saline, 10 ml/kg. Group II received hypertonic sodium bicarbonate, 1 mEq/kg. Group III received amiodarone, 15 mg/kg. The pigs were observed until death or survival at 60 minutes.
After treatment, the changes in QRS were as follows: Group I, −2.0 ms; Group II, −33.0 ms; Group III, −21.7 ms. ANOVA demonstrated no significant difference between the groups (p = 0.28). Mean arterial pressures 10 minutes after treatment were as follows: Group I, 19.4 mmHg; Group II, 23.7 mmHg; Group III, 12.5 mmHg. Based on ANOVA, there was no significant difference between any of the groups (p = 0.50).
In this model of nortriptyline poisoning, the administration of amiodarone to correct wide complex tachycardia did not have a harmful effect.
- Van Deusen SK, Birkhahn RH, Gaeta TJ. Treatment of hyperkalemia in a patient with unrecognized digitalis toxicity.J Toxicol Clin Toxicol 2003; 41(4): 373–376. CrossRef
- Lange RA, Cigarroa RG, Flores ED, McBride W, Kim AS, Wells PJ, et al. Potentiation of cocaine-induced coronary vaso-constriction by beta-adrenergic blockade. Ann Intern Med1990; 112(12): 897–903.
- Pentel P, Peterson CD. Asystole complicating physostigmine treatment of tricyclic antidepressant overdose.Ann Emerg Med 1980; 9(11): 588–590. CrossRef
- Caron MF, Kluger J; White CM. Amiodarone in the new AHA guidelines for ventricular tachyarrhythmias.Ann Pharmacother 2001; 35: 1248–1254. CrossRef
- Kudenchuk PJ, Cobb LA, Copass MK, Cummins RO, Doherty AM, Fahrenbruch CE, et al. Amiodarone for resuscitation after out-of-hospital cardiac arrest due to ventricular fibrillation.N Engl J Med 1999; 341: 871–878. CrossRef
- Barrueto F Jr, Chuang A, Cotter BW, Hoffman RS, Nelson LS. Amiodarone fails to improve survival in amitriptyline-poisoned mice.Clin Toxicol 2005; 43(3): 147–149.
- McCabe JL, Cobaugh DJ, Menegazzi JJ, Fata J. Experimental tricyclic antidepressant toxicity: a randomized, controlled comparison of hypertonic saline solution, sodium bicarbonate and hyperventilation.Ann Emerg Med 1998; 32: 329–333. CrossRef
- Zhou L, White CM, Chen BP, Chow MS, Fan C, Kluger J. A comparison of the antifibrillatory effects of desethylamio-darone to amiodarone in a swine model.J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 1999; 34(3): 440–5. CrossRef
- Hutchins GM, Silverman KJ. Pathology of the stone heart syndrome: massive myocardial contraction band necrosis and widely patent coronary arteries.Am J Pathol 1979; 95(3): 745–752.
- Effects of amiodarone in a swine model of nortryptiline toxicity
Journal of Medical Toxicology
Volume 2, Issue 4 , pp 147-151
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- tricyclic antidepressants
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Division of Emergency Medicine, University of Maryland School of Medicine, 110 South Paca Street-6th floor, Suite 200, 21201, Baltimore, MD
- 2. Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University, Greenville, NC