Baldcypress response to increased water levels, Caddo Lake, Louisiana-Texas
- Charles V. Klimas
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An investigation of baldcypress stands associated with Caddo Lake was undertaken as part of an evaluation of a proposed project to increase storage capacity of the lake. Existing stands either were impacted by or established in response to an increase in water levels that occurred seventy years ago. Examination of stand characteristics and hydrologic records indicated a predictable response to water fluctuation patterns that provided a basis for assessment of various proposed project alternatives. Baldcypress is able to persist in the face of hydrologic regime changes, but growth, reproduction, and survival are directly related to the frequency of substrate exposure. Relationships defined in this study may be useful in identifying impact thresholds and optimal water management strategies for other baldcypress stands.
- Beaufait, W.R., Nelson, T.C. (1957) Ring counts in second growth baldcypress. Jour. Forestry 55: pp. 588-588
- Eggler, W.A., Moore, W.G. (1961) The vegetation of Lake Chicot, Louisiana after eighteen years’ impoundment. Southwestern Nat. 6: pp. 175-183 CrossRef
- Fowells, H.A. 1965. Silvics of Forest Trees of the United States. U.S. Dep. Agric., For. Serv. Agric. Handbook No. 271. 762 pp.
- Hall, T.F., Penfound, W.T. (1943) Cypress-gum communities in the Blue Girth Swamp near Selma. Alabama. Ecology 24: pp. 208-217 CrossRef
- Harms, W.R., Schreuder, H.T., Hook, D.D., Brown, C.L., Shropshire, F.W. (1980) The effects of flooding on the swamp forest in Lake Ocklawaha, Florida. Ecology 61: pp. 1412-1421 CrossRef
- Kniffen, F.B. (1968) Louisiana. LSU Press, Baton Rouge
- Kurz, H., Demaree, D. (1934) Cypress buttresses and knees in relation to water and air. Ecology 15: pp. 36-41 CrossRef
- Nelson, W.A. (1924) Reelfoot- an earthquake lake. Nat. Geogr. 45: pp. 95-114
- Penfound, W.T. (1949) Vegetation of Lake Chicot, Louisiana, in relation to wildlife resources. Proc. La. Acad. Sci. 12: pp. 47-56
- Russ, D.P. 1975. The Quaternary geomorphology of the lower Red River valley, Louisiana. Ph.D. Thesis, Penn. State Univ. 207 pp.
- Shelford, V.E. (1954) Some lower Mississippi Valley floodplain biotic communties: their age and elevation. Ecology 35: pp. 126-142 CrossRef
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg District. 1983. Initial evaluation report, Caddo Lake enlargement study. Red River below Denison Dam, comprehensive basin study, Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas. 87 pp plus attachments.
- Baldcypress response to increased water levels, Caddo Lake, Louisiana-Texas
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 25-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Taxodium distichum
- Baldcypress, flooding
- impact assessment
- Author Affiliations
- 1. U.S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, MS