Wetlands and coal surface mining in Western Kentucky — A regional impact assessment
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A wetland atlas (Mitschet al. 1983) was developed for a 3960 km2 region of the Western Coalfield in Kentucky to inventory the wetlands there and to present a regional assessment of coal surface mining. Both the methodology and the results of the atlas are presented as they relate to wetland management. The atlas was designed to present the location, type, and extent of wetlands as well as useful environmental and ecological information for both wetland managers and coal mine operators. The study identified 460 km2 of wetlands with about 84 percent as broad-leaved deciduous forested wetlands. There were also 5.6 km2 of needle-leaved deciduous wetlands (bald cypress swamps) and 24.3 km2 of persistent emergent wetlands, scrub-shrub wetlands, and dead forested wetlands. Surface mines were also identified from aerial photography for the atlas and were often shown to be contiguous with existing wetlands. Data on hydrology, water chemistry, and fish and wildlife resources were gathered from several sources to supplement the mapping and inventory results. The complete inventory showed that surface mining had several impacts on wetlands, including 1) direct removal, 2) acid drainage, 3) sedimentation, and 4) altered hydroperiod.
- Bailey, R.G. (1976) Ecoregions of the United States. U.S. Forest Service, Ogden, UT
- Branson, B.A., Harker, D.F., Baskin, J.M., Medley, M.E., Batch, D.L., Monroe, B., Phillippe, L.R., Cupp, P. (1981) Endangered, threatened, and rare animals and plants of Kentucky. Trans. Ky. Acad. Sci. 42: pp. 77-89
- Braun, E.L. (1950) Deciduous forests of eastern North America. Hafner Publishing Co., New York
- Cardamone, M.A., J.R. Taylor, and W.J. Mitsch. 1984. Wetland and Coal Surface Mining: a management handbook. Kentucky Water Resources Research Report No. 154, Lexington, Kentucky. 99 p.
- Cowardin, L.M., V.G. Carter, F.C. Golet, and E.T. LaRoe. 1979. Classification of wetlands and deepwater habitats of the United States. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service 79/31, Washington D.C. 103 p.
- Holmes, D.F., Jones, J.E., VanHouse, E. (1981) An assessment of alternative fossil energy resources in Kentucky. Kentucky Department of Energy, Division of Technology Assessment, Frankfort, KY
- Jones, J.E., Enoch, H.G. (1981) The Kentucky synfuel industry: a basis for assessment and planning. Kentucky Department of Energy, Frankfort, KY
- The effects of coal mining activities on the water quality of streams in the western and eastern coalfields of Kentucky. Kentucky Dept. for Natural Resources and Environmental Protection, Division of Water, Frankfort, KY
- Kentucky Department of Mines and Minerals. 1981. Annual report. Lexington, KY.
- Western Kentucky coal field: preliminary investigations of natural features and cultural resources. Kentucky Nature Preserves Commission, Frankfort, KY
- Aquatic biota and water quality survey of the Western Kentucky Coal Field. Kentucky Nature Preserves Commission, Frankfort, NY
- Natural heritage program (computer printout). Kentucky Nature Preserves Commission, Frankfort, KY
- Mitsch, W.J., J.R. Taylor, K.B. Benson, and P.L. Hill, Jr. 1983. Atlas of wetlands in the principal coal surface mining of western Kentucky. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Report FWS/OBS 82/72 (in press).
- Quarterman, E., Powell, R.L. (1978) Potential ecological/geological natural landmarks on the Interior Low Plateaus. United States Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C.
- Sehlinger, B., Underwood, W.C. (1980) A fishing guide to the streams of Kentucky. Thomas Press, Ann Arbor, MI
- Shaw, S.P. and C.G. Fredine. 1956. Wetlands of the United States: their extent and their value to waterfowl and other wildlife. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Circular 39. Washington, D.C. 67 p.
- Smith, G.E., Brant, R.A. (1978) Western Kentucky coal resources. Institute for Mining and Minerals Research, Lexington, KY
- Water resources data for Kentucky, 1979. United States Geological Survey, Louisville, KY
- Water resources data for Kentucky, 1980. Water-data report KY-80-1. United States Geological Survey, Louisville, KY
- Wharton, C.H., W.M. Kitchens, E.C. Pendleton, and T.W. Sipe. 1982. The ecology of bottomland hardwood swamps of the Southeast: a community profile. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, FWS/OBS-81/37, Washington, D.C. 133 p.
- Wetlands and coal surface mining in Western Kentucky — A regional impact assessment
Volume 3, Issue 1 , pp 161-179
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links