A psychological theory of indecisiveness
- Eric Rassin
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Decision-making and choosing is not always easy. Thus, indecisiveness seems to be a widespread phenomenon. However, the scientific literature on indecisiveness is rather limited. Indeed, even a clear definition of indecisiveness is lacking, let alone a model in which various indecisiveness-related concepts are integrated. The present article aims at developing an indecisiveness model. Within this model, indecisiveness refers to the experience of decision problems (i.e., lack of information, valuation difficulty, and outcome uncertainty) resulting in overt choice-related behaviours such as delay, tunnel vision, and post-decision dysfunctional behaviour (e.g., worry). Existing knowledge is discussed within the context of this model, and it is argued that the model may serve as a guideline for future research on indecisiveness. (Netherlands Journal of Psychology, 63, 2-13.)
- American Psychiatric Association (APA) (2000). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 4th edition, Text Revision (DSM-IV-TR). Washington: APA.
- Anderson, C.J. (2003). The psychology of doing nothing: Forms of decision avoidance result from reason and emotion. Psychological Bulletin, 129, 139-167. CrossRef
- Bastardi, A. & Shafir, E. (1998). On the pursuit and misuse of useless information. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 75, 19-32. CrossRef
- Beck, A.T. (1967). Depression: Clinical, experimental, and theoretical aspects. New York: Harper & Row.
- Davey, G.C.L., Hampton, J., Farrell, J., & Davidson, S. (1992). Some characteristics of worrying: Evidence for worrying and anxiety as separate constructs. Personality and Individual Differences, 13, 133-147. CrossRef
- Derogatis, L.R. (1977). SCL-90: Administration, scoring and procedures manual-I for the revised version. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins School of Medicine.
- Dhar, R. & Nowlis, S.M. (1999). The effect of time pressure on consumer choice deferral. Journal of Consumer Research, 25, 369-384. CrossRef
- Dugas, M.J., Hedayati, M., Karavidas, A., Buhr, K., Francis, K., & Philips, N.A. (2005). Intolerance of uncertainty and information processing: Evidence of biased recall and interpretations. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 29, 57-70. CrossRef
- Eysenck, H.J. & Wilson, G.D. (1991) The Eysenck Personality Profiler. London: Corporate Assessment Network ltd.
- Ferrari, J.R. (1993). Christmas and procrastination: Explaining lack of diligence at a ‘real-world’ task deadline. Personality and Individual Differences, 14, 25-33. CrossRef
- Ferrari, J.R. & Dovidio, J.F. (2000). Examining behavioural processes in indecision: Decisional procrastination and decision-making style. Journal of Research in Personality, 34, 127-137. CrossRef
- Ferrari, J.R., & Dovidio, J.F. (2001). Behavioral information search by indecisives. Personality and Individual Differences, 30, 1113-1123. CrossRef
- Ferrari, J.R., Johnson, J.L., & McCown, W.G. (1995). Procrastination and task avoidance: Theory, Research, and Treatment. London: Plenum press.
- Frost, R.O., Marten, P., Lahart, C., & Rosenblate, R. (1990). The dimensions of perfectionism. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 14, 449-468. CrossRef
- Frost, R.O. & Sher, K.J. (1989). Checking behaviour in a threatening situation. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 27, 385-389. CrossRef
- Frost, R.O. & Shows, D.L. (1993). The nature and measurement of compulsive indecisiveness. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 31, 683-692. CrossRef
- Hodgson, R.J. & Rachman, S. (1977). Obsessional-compulsive complaints. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 15, 389-395. CrossRef
- Gayton, W.F., Clavin, R.H., Clavin, S.L., & Broida, J. (1994). Further validation of the indecisiveness scale. Psychological Reports, 75, 1631-1634.
- Germeijs, V., & de Boeck, P. (2003). Career indecision: Three factors from decision theory. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 62, 11-25. CrossRef
- Germeijs, V., & de Boeck, P. (2002). A measurement scale for indecisiveness and its relationship to career indecision and other types of indecision. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 18, 113-122. CrossRef
- Gudjonsson, G.H. (2003). The Psychology of interrogations and confessions: A handbook. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Iyengar, S.S. & Lepper, M.R. (2000). When choice is demotivating: Can one desire too much of a good thing? Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 79, 995-1006. CrossRef
- Jackson, C.J., Furnham, A., & Lawty-Jones, M. (1999). Relationship between indecisiveness and neuroticism: The moderating effect of a tough-minded culture. Personality and Individual Differences, 27, 789-800. CrossRef
- Ladouceur, R., Rhéaume, J., Freeston, M.H., Aublet, F., Jean, K., Lachance, S., Langlois, F., & de Pokomandy-Morin, K. (1995). Experimental manipulations of responsibility: An analogue test for models of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 33, 937-946. CrossRef
- Ladouceur, R., Talbot, F., & Dugas, M.J. (1997). Behavioural expressions of intolerance of uncertainty in worry. Behavior Modification, 21, 355-371. CrossRef
- Mann, L. (1982). Decision-making questionnaire. Unpublished inventory. Flinders University of South Australia.
- Meyer, T.J., Miller, M.L., Metzger, R.L., & Borkovec, T.D. (1990). Development and validation of the Penn State Worry Questionnaire. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 28, 487-495. CrossRef
- Milgram, N.N., & Tenne, R. (2000). Personality correlates of decisional and task avoidant procrastination. European Journal of Personality, 14, 141-156. CrossRef
- Nickerson, R.S. (1998). Confirmation bias: A ubiquitous phenomenon in many guises. Review of General Psychology, 2, 175-220. CrossRef
- Patalano, A.L. & Wengrovitz, S.M. (2006). Cross-cultural exploration of the Indecisiveness Scale: A comparison of Chinese and American men and women. Personality and Individual Differences, 41, 813-824. CrossRef
- Pitz, G.F. & Harren, V.A. (1980). An analysis of career decision making from the point of view of information processing and decision theory. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 16, 320-346. CrossRef
- Rassin, E. & Muris, P. (2005b). Indecisiveness and the interpretation of ambiguous situations. Personality and Individual Differences, 39, 1285-1291. CrossRef
- Rassin, E. & Muris, P. (2005a). To be or not to be … indecisive: Gender differences, correlations with obsessive-compulsive complaints, and behavioural manifestation. Personality and Individual Differences, 38, 1175-1181. CrossRef
- Rassin, E., Muris, P., Franken, I., Smit, M., & Wong, M. (in press). Measuring general indecisiveness. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment.
- Roese, N.J. & Summerville, A. (2005). What we regret most … and why. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 31, 1273-1285. CrossRef
- Sanavio, E. (1988). Obsessions and compulsions: The Padua inventory. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 26, 169-177. CrossRef
- Schwartz, B. (2004). The paradox of choice: Why more is less. New York: HarperCollins Publishers.
- Schwartz, B., Ward, A., Monterosso, J., Lyubomirsky, S., White, K., & Lehman, D.R. (2002). Maximizing versus satisficing: Happiness is a matter of choice. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 83, 1178-1197. CrossRef
- Thordarson, D.S., Radomsky, A.S., Rachman, S., Shafran, R., Sawchuk, C.N., & Hakstian, A.R. (2004). The Vancouver Obsessional Compulsive Inventory (VOCI). Behaviour Research and Therapy, 42, 1289-1314. CrossRef
- Tversky, A. & Kahneman, D. (1973). Availability: A heuristic for judging frequency and probability. Cognitive Science, 5, 207-232.
- Tversky, A. & Kahneman, D. (1981). The framing of decisions and the psychology of choice. Science, 211, 453-458. CrossRef
- Tversky, A. & Shafir, E. (1992). Choice under conflict: The dynamics of deferred decision. Psychological Science, 3, 358-361. CrossRef
- van Eerden, W. (2003). A meta-analytically derived nomological network of procrastination. Personality and Individual Differences, 35, 1401-1418. CrossRef
- Ward, A., Lyubomirsky, S., Sousa, L., & Nolen-Hoeksema, S. (2003). Can’t quite commit: Rumination and uncertainty. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 29, 96-107. CrossRef
- A psychological theory of indecisiveness
Netherlands journal of psychology
Volume 63, Issue 1 , pp 1-11
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Bohn Stafleu van Loghum
- Additional Links