Stability of a cylindrical plasma in the presence of a monotonic field—II
- S. Narasimha Murthy
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The stability of an incompressible inviscid, perfectly conducting cylindrical plasma against azimuthal disturbances in the presence of a monotonic decreasing magnetic field having a constant pitch is discussed by using energy principle. The results obtained by this principle are compared form = 1 mode (which is a dangerous mode in which there is a lateral shift of the entire column) with that obtained by normal mode analysis. It is found thatm = 1 mode is always unstable. Further, an axial line current, external axial field and the surface tension tend to stabilisem ≠ modes.
- Chandrasekhar, S. and FermiAstro. Physik. Journal, 1953,118, 116. CrossRef
- Kruskai, M. D., Johnson, J. L., Gottlie, M. B. and Goldman, L. M.Phys. Fluids, 1958,1, (5), 421. CrossRef
- Newcomb, W. A...Anna. Phys., 1960,10, 232. CrossRef
- Tayler, R. J...Proc. Roy. Soc. (Lond.), 1957,70 B, 1049.
- Narasimha Murthy, S. and Bhat, P. K. .. Under print inI.I.Sc. Journal, 1969.
- Lundquist, S...Phys. Rev., 1951,83, 307. CrossRef
- Schuurman, W., Bobeldijk, C. and Devries, R. F.Plasma Physics, 1969,11, 495. CrossRef
- Stability of a cylindrical plasma in the presence of a monotonic field—II
Proceedings of the Indian Academy of Sciences - Section A
Volume 72, Issue 3 , pp 134-143
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Applied Mathematics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore-12, India