Application of hash to data base machine and its architecture
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper we discuss the application of the dynamic clustering feature of hash to a relational data base machine. By partitioning the relation using hash, large load reductions in join and set operations are realized. Several machine architectures based on hash are presented. We propose a data base machineGRACE which adopts a novel relational algebraic processing algorithm based on hash and sort. Whereas conventional logic-per-track machines perform poorly in a join dominant environment,GRACE can execute join efficiently inO(N+M/K) time, whereN andM are the cardinalities of two relations andK the number of memory banks.
- Ozkarahan, E. A., Shuster, S. A., Smith, K. C. (1975) RAP-An Associative Processor for Data Base Management. Proc. AFIPS NCC 45: pp. 379-379 CrossRef
- Leilich, H. O., Steige, G. and Zeidler, H. C. H.: A Search Processor forData Base Management Systems, Proc. Int. Conf. on VLDB (1978) 280.
- Slotnick, D. L. (1970) Logic per Track Devices. Academic Press, New York
- Ozkarahan, E. A., Shuster, S. A., Smith, K. C. (1977) Performance Evaluation of a Relational Associative Processor. ACM Trans. Database Syst. 2: pp. 175-175 CrossRef
- DeWitt, D. J. (1979) DIRECT-A Multiprocessor Organization for Supporting Relational Database Management Systems. IEEE Trans. Comput. 28: pp. 395-395 CrossRef
- Menon, M. J. and Hsiao, D. K.: Design and Analysis of a Relational Join Operation for VLSI, Proc. Int. Conf. on VLDB (1981) 44.
- Oliver, E. J. and Berra, P. B.: RELACS-A Relational Associative Computer System, Proc. of the Fifth Workshop on Computer Architecture for Non-Numeric Processing (1980) 106.
- Kitsuregawa, M., Suzuki, S., Tanaka, H. and Moto-oka, T.: Relational Algebra Machine based on Hash and Sort,TGEC81-35 (IECE Japan, 1981).
- Babb, E. (1979) Implementing a Relational Database by Means of Specialized Hardware. ACM Trans. Database Syst. 4: pp. 1-1 CrossRef
- Uemura, S., Yuba, T., Kokubu, A., Ooomote, R. and Sugawara, Y.: The Design and Implementation of a Magnetic Bubble Database Machine, Proc. of IFIP Congress (1980) 433.
- Todd, S. (1978) Algorithm and Hardware for a Merge Sort Using Multiple Processors. IBM J. Res. & Dev. 22: pp. 509-509 CrossRef
- Kitsuregawa, M., Fushimi, S., Kuwabara, K., Tanaka, H. and Moto-oka, T.: An Organization of Pipeline Merge Sorter, Trans. IECE Japan,J66-D (1983) 332 [in Japanese].
- Kohara, H., Takahashi, K., Suga, S. and Fujiwara, S.: Novel megabit bubble memory chip organization and its characteristics, Proc. of ICMB-4,D-3 (1980).
- Application of hash to data base machine and its architecture
New Generation Computing
Volume 1, Issue 1 , pp 63-74
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Electrical Engineering and Electronics, Institute of Industrial Science, The University of Tokyo, 22-1 Roppongi 7-chome, Minato-ku, 106, Tokyo
- 2. Department of Electrical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, The University of Tokyo, 3-1 Hongo 7-chome, Bunkyo-ku, 113, Tokyo