Digital storytelling in higher education
- Hilary McLellan
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
DIGITAL STORYTELLING is a promising instructional strategy as well as an emerging field of study in higher education. Courses on digital storytelling are offered in communications and creative writing programs at a number of universities. However, the potential for digital storytelling extends far beyond the fields of communication and media studies across many fields of study, including history, American Studies, business and leadership, knowledge management, community planning, and much more. In addition, digital storytelling has been used to help students prepare for college. Digital storytelling applications include personal stories, digital story archives, memorial stories, avocational stories, educational stories, and stories in medicine and health. This paper examines the origins and practice of digital storytelling, highlighting a range of applications in higher education.
- Bernstein, M. (1998).Hypertext gardens: Delightful vistas. Eastgate Systems. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http://www.eastgate.com/garden/Enter.html.
- Brown, J.S. (2001).Storytelling: Scientist's perspective. Storytelling: passport to success in the 21st Century. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http:// www.creatingthe21stcentury.org/JSB.html.
- Corporate storytelling. (n.d.). Retrieved November 18, 2006, from tech-head.com/ cstory 1.html.
- Gergen, D. (1997, October 13). A dialogue with Janet Murray.Online NewsHour. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http://www.pbs.org/newshour/gergen/october97/murray_10–13.html.
- Harper, K. (1999, July).Quoted in the Center for Digital Storytelling Interview with Ken Harper. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http://www.storycenter.org/diner/pages/kh2.html.
- Kahan, S. (2003). Interview with John Seeley Brown. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http://www.sethkahan.com/Resources_0JohnSeelyBrown.html.
- Kirsner, S. (2000, October). Experience required.Fast Company. 184–186.
- Lambert, J. (2002).Digital storytelling: Capturing lives, creating community. Berkeley, CA: Digital Diner Press.
- Lambert, J. (2005 March 21). Personal communication.
- Matsunaga, G. (2005).Digital Storytelling Workshop Facilitates Healing Through Personal Video Stories. Office of Public Affairs at California State University, Fullerton.
- Miller, C.H. (2004).Digital storytelling: A creator's guide to digital entertainment. Amsterdam: Focal Press.
- Miller, C.H. (2005).Tales from the digital frontier: Breakthroughs in storytelling. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http://www.writersstore.com/article.php?articles_id=505.
- Montfort, N. (2003).Twisty little passages: An approach to interactive fiction. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Murray, J.H. (1997).Hamlet on the holodeck: The future of narrative in cyberspace. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Norman. D. (1993).Things that make us smart: Defending human attributes in the age of the machine. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- Stepanek, M. (May 15, 2000). The power of digital storytelling.Business Week. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http://www.businessweek.com/2000/00_20/ b3681104.htm.
- Weinberger, D. (1999). Narrative knowledge. Intranet Journal. Retrieved November 18, 2006, from http://www.intranetjournal.com/opinion/narrknow.shtml.
- Wardrip-Fruin, N., & Montfort, N. (Eds.). (2003).The new media reader. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- Wilson, E.O. (2002). Introduction: Life Is a narrative. In E.O. Wilson & B.Bilger (Eds.),The Best American Science & Nature Writing 2001. xiii.
- Digital storytelling in higher education
Journal of Computing in Higher Education
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 65-79
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- digital storytelling
- narrative learning
- digital media
- media studies
- interactive games
- digital movies
- oral history
- creative writing
- Dana Atchley
- Joe Lambert
- Center for Digital Storytelling
- Capture Wales
- Hilary McLellan (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. McLellan Wyatt Digital, 101 North St. Saratoga Springs, 12866, NY