Lipid peroxidative damage on malathion exposure in rats
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Lipid peroxidation is one of the major outcomes of free radical-mediated injury to tissuein vivo, including the central nervous system (CNS). The aim of this study was to examine whether malathion, a commonly used organophosphorus (OP), might induce oxidative stress in cerebrospinal fluid, blood serum and brain structures in male Wistar rats. Malathion was administered intraperitoneally in the doses of 25, 50, 100 and 150 mg/kg for 28 days. Oxidative damage was determined by measuring the thiobarbituric acid reactive species (TBARS) content, as an index of lipid peroxidation. TBARS concentration in the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) and brain structures were increased, but a decrease in TBARS concentration in serum was observed. The results of the present study suggest the usefulness of TBARS measurement as a good biomarker in the estimation of malathion-induced oxidative stress affecting CSF and brain structures.
- Abdollahi M, M Donyavi, S Pournourmohammadi and M Saadat (2004a) Hyperglycemia associated with increased hepatic glycogen phosphorylase and phosphoenolpyruvate carboxykinase in rats following subchronic exposure to malathion.Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part C137, 343–347.
- Abdollahi M, S Mostafalou, S Pournourmohammadi and S Shadnia (2004b) Oxidative stress and cholinesterase inhibition in saliva and plasma of rats following subchronic exposure to malathion.Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part C137, 29–34.
- Ahmed RS, V Seth, ST Pasha and BD Banerjee (2000) Influence of dietary ginger(Zingiber officinales Rosc) on oxidative stress induced by malathion in rats.Food Chem. Toxicol. 38, 443–450. CrossRef
- Akhgari M, M Abdollahi, A Kebryaeezadeh, R Hosseini and O Sabzevari (2003) Biochemical evidence for free radical induced lipid peroxidation as a mechanism for subchronic toxicity of malathion in blood and liver of rats.Human Exp. Toxicol. 22, 205–211. CrossRef
- Arlt S, A Kontush, I Zerr, C Buhmann, C Jacobi, A Schröter, S Poser and U Beisiegel (2002) Increased lipid peroxidation in cerebrospinal fluid and plasma from patients with Creutzfeldt Jakob disease.Neurobiol. Dis. 10, 150–156. CrossRef
- Ayud S, J Verma and N Das (2003) Effect of endosulfan and malathion on lipid peroxidation, nitrite and TNF-α release by rat peritoneal macrophages.Int. Immunopharmacol. 3, 1819–1828. CrossRef
- Banerjee BD (1999) The influence of various factors on immune toxicity assessment of pesticide chemicals.Toxicol. Lett. 107, 21–31. CrossRef
- Banerjee DB, V Seth, A Bhattacharya, AK Chakraborty and ST Pasha (1998) Oxidative stress in human poisoning cases following malathion and propoxur ingestion.Toxicol. Lett. 95, 58. CrossRef
- Banerjee BD, V Seth, A Bhattacharya, ST Pasha and AK Chakraborty (1999) Biochemical effects of some pesticides on lipid peroxidation and free-radical scavengers.Toxicol. Lett. 107, 33–47. CrossRef
- Beckman JS, I Chen and H. Ischiropaules (1994) Oxidative chemistry of peroxynitrite.Methods Enzymol. 233, 229–240. CrossRef
- Blasiak J, P Jaloszynski, A Trzeciak and K Szyfter (1999)In vitro studies on the genotoxicity of the organophosphorus insecticide malathion and its two analogues.Mutat. Res. 445, 275–283.
- Bouchard M, NH Gosselin, RC Brunet, O Samuel, MJ Dumoulin and G Carrier (2003) A toxicokinetic model of malathion and its metabolites as a tool to assess human exposure and risk through measurements of urinary biomarkers.Toxicol. Sci. 73, 182–194. CrossRef
- Brocardo PS, P Pandolfo, RN Takahashi, ALS Rodrigues and AL Dafre (2005) Antioxidant defenses and lipid peroxidation in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus following acute exposure to malathion and/or zinc chloride.Toxicology 207, 283–291. CrossRef
- Cabello G, M Valenzuela, A Vilaxa, V Duran, I Rudolph, N Hrepic and G Calaf (2001) A rat mammary tumor model induced by the organophosphorous pesticides parathion and malathion, possibly through acetylcholinesterase inhibition.Environ. Health Perspect. 109, 471–479. CrossRef
- Draper HH and M Hadley (1990) Malondialdehyde determination as index of lipid peroxidation.Methods Enzymol. 186, 421–431. CrossRef
- Giri S, SB Prasad, A Giri and GD Sharma (2002) Genotoxic effects of malathion: an organophosphorus insecticide, using three mammalian bioassaysin vivo. Mutat. Res. 514, 223–231.
- Hazarika A, SN Sarkar, S Hajare, M Kataria, JK Malik (2003) Influence of malathion pretreatment on the toxicity of anilofos in male rats: a biochemical interaction study.Toxicology 185, 1–8. CrossRef
- John S, M Kale, N Rathore and D Bhatnagar (2001) Protective effect of vitamin E in dimethoate and malathion induced oxidative stress in rat erythrocytes.J. Nutr. Biochem. 12, 500–504. CrossRef
- Johnson VJ, AM Rosenberg, K Lee and BR Blakley (2002) Increased T-lymphocyte dependent antibody production in female S JL/mice following exposure to commercial grade malathion.Toxicology 170, 119–129. CrossRef
- Kale M, N Rathore, S John and D Bhatnagar (1999) Lipid peroxidative damage on pyrethroid exposure and alterations in antioxidant status in rat erythrocytes: a possible involvement of reactive oxygen species.Toxicol. Lett. 105, 197–205. CrossRef
- Kehrer JP (1993) Free radicals as mediators of tissue injury and disease.Crit. Rev. Toxicol. 34, 21–48. CrossRef
- Kock S and U Beisiegel (2000) Lipoproteins in the brain: A new frontier?, In:Lipids and Vascular Disease (Betteridge DJ, Ed) (Martin Dinitz: London), pp 51–64.
- Koner BC, BD Banerjee and A Ray (1997) Effect ofin vivo generation of oxygen free radicals on immune responsiveness in rabbits.Immunol. Lett. 59, 127–131. CrossRef
- Koner BC, BD Banerjee and A Ray (1998) Organochlorine pesticideinduced oxidative stress and immune suppression in rats. IndianJ. Exp. Biol. 36, 395–398.
- Liu J and CN Pope (1998) Comparative pre-synaptic neurochemical changes in rat striatum following exposure to chlorpyrifos or parathion.J. Toxicol. Environ. Health Part. A,53, 531–544. CrossRef
- Lowry OH, NJ Rosebrough, AL Farr and RJ Randal (1951) Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent.J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265–275.
- Masoud L, C Vijayasarathy, M Fernandez-Cabezudo, G Petroianu and AM Sale (2003) Effect of malathion on apoptosis of murine L929 fibroblasts: a possible mechanism for toxicity in low dose exposure.Toxicology 185, 89–102. CrossRef
- Montine TJ, MD Neely, JF Quinn, MF Beal, WR Markesbery, LJ Roberts II and JD Morrow (2002) Lipid peroxidation in aging brain and Alzheimer’s disease.Free Radic. Biol. Med. 33, 620- 626. CrossRef
- Montine TJ, KS Montine, EE Reich, ES Terry, NA Porter and JD Morrow (2003) Antioxidants significantly affect the formation of different classes of isoprostanes and neuroporstanes in rat cerebral synaptosomes.Biochem. Pharmacol. 65, 611–617. CrossRef
- Qureshi GA, S Baig, M Sarwar and SH Parvez (2004) Neurotoxicity, oxidative stress and cerebrovascular disorders.NeuroToxicology 25, 121–138. CrossRef
- Ranjbar A, P Pasalar and M Abdollahi (2002) Induction of oxidative stress and acetylcholinesterase inhibition in organophosphorus pesticide manufacturing workers.Human Exp. Toxicol. 21, 179- 182. CrossRef
- Rocha JBT, T Emanuelli and ME Pereira (1993) Effects of early undernutrition on kinetic parameters of brain acetylcholinesterase from adults rats.Acta Neurobiol. Exp. 53, 431–437.
- Rosenstock L, M Keifer, WE Daniell, R McConnell and K Claypoole (1991) Chronic central nervous system effects of acute organophosphate pesticide intoxication. The Pesticide Health Effects Study Group.Lancet 338, 223–227. CrossRef
- Santos HR, WM Cintra, Y Aracava, CM Maciel, NG Castro and EX Albuquerque (2004) Spine density and dendritic branching pattern of hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons in neonatal rats chronically exposed to the organophosphate paraoxon.NeuroToxicology 25, 481–494. CrossRef
- Shohami E, E Beit-Yannai and M Horowitz (1997) Oxidative stress in closed-head injury.J. Cereb. Blood Flow Metab. 17, 1007–1019. CrossRef
- Spiteller G (1996) Enzyme lipid peroxidation a consequence of cell injury.Free Radic. Biol. Med. 21, 1003–1009. CrossRef
- Srikanth NS and PK Seth (1990) Alterationinxenobioticmetabolizing enzymes in brain and liver of rats coexposed to endosulfan and malathion.J. Appl. Toxicol. 21, 333–337.
- Vidella LA, SBM Baros and VBC Junqueira (1990) Lindane induced liver oxidative stress.Free Radic. Biol. Med. 9, 169–179. CrossRef
- Lipid peroxidative damage on malathion exposure in rats
Volume 9, Issue 1 , pp 23-28
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Lipid peroxidation
- Oxidative stress
- Brain structures
- Cerebrospinal fluid
- Blood serum
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Laboratório de Neurociências, Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense, 88806-000, Criciúma, SC, Brasil
- 2. Laboratório de Fisiopatologia Experimental, Universidade do Extremo Sul Catarinense, 88806-000, Criciúma, SC, Brasil