The validity of Australian Ancestry Statistics
- Robert V. Horn
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The collection of statistics on ancestry has been discussed previously in this Journal and Australian Bureau of Statistics publications. This article examines the contrast between objective and subjective perceptions of ancestry hidden in the 1986 Census definitions which vitiates the published results and points to the limitations of validating uncertain collections by relating them to cognate series. It looks at the collection of ancestry statistics as a bold attempt at an impossible task which has yielded results that are often inaccurate, sometimes misleading and liable to abuse in their interpretation. It is suggested that some of the features of cultural structure could be more reliably ascertained by small sample surveys of perceptions and aspirations.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 1984.The Measurement of Ethnicity in the Australian Census of Population and Housing. Report of the Population Census Ethnicity Committee. Catalogue No. 2172.0. Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 1986.Census Dictionary. Catalogue No. 2174.0. Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 1988.c in Profile. Catalogue No. 2S02.0. Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 1990.Data Quality. Catalogue No. 2603.0. Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 1991.Multicultural Australia. Catalogue No. 2505.0. Canberra.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. 1993.1996 Census of Population and Housing: ABS Views on Content and Procedures. Catalogue No. 2007.0. Canberra.
- Commonwealth Bureau of Census and Statistics. 1972.1966 Census of Population and Housing. Vol. I(11). Canberra.
- Farley, Reynolds. 1991. The new census question about ancestry: what did it tell us?Demography 3:411–429. CrossRef
- Horn, R.V. 1987. Ethnic origin in the Australian census.Journal of the Australian Population Association 4:1–12.
- Khoo, Siew-Ean. 1991. Consistency of ancestry reporting between parents and children in the 1986 Census.Journal of the Australian Population Association 8:129–139.
- Mead, M. 1969.Culture and Commitment. A Study of the Generation Gap. London: Panther.
- Price, C.A. 1989. Ethnic groups in Australia. Canberra: Office of Multi-cultural Affairs.
- Price, C.A. 1990. In J. Jupp (ed.),The Challenger of Diversity, Policy Options for the National Agenda for a Multi-cultural Australia. Discussion Paper. Canberra: Office of Multicultural Affairs.
- Price, C.A. 1991. Religion and ancestry in Australia. Working Paper No. 3. Canberra: Australian Immigration Research Centre.
- Quesera, W. 1991.La Volonti du Peuple. Unpublished Paper. Aries: Bas Mile.
- The validity of Australian Ancestry Statistics
Journal of the Australian Population Association
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 119-126
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Robert V. Horn (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. 35 Johnston Crescent, Lane Cove, N.S.W.