Morphology and growth process of bainitic ferrite in steels
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The morphologies and the formation mechanisms of isothermally transformed Widmanstatten ferrite and bainite in various steels were investigated. Widmanstatten ferrite often grew from the grain boundary ferrite allotriomorph formed by a diffusional mechanism in the temperature range of the upper C-curve, whereas, bainite grew directly from an austenite grain boundary showing its own C-curve in a TIT diagram at temperatures between Bs (bainite starting temperature) and Ms (martensite starting temperature). Both structures accompanied well-defined surface reliefs of the invariant plane strain-type, and were in the shape of a lath or a plate consisting of several parallel needle-like ferrite subunits with parallelogram cross sc:ctions. The crystallographic properties of Widmanstatten ferrite and upper bainite were similar to those of lath martensite. Therefore, it was concluded that the difference between bainitic ferrite and Widmanstatten ferrite existed only in the nucleation events, where both structures grew by the same mechanism.
- T. Araki, K. Shibata and M. Enotnoto,Mater. Sci. Forum 56, 275 (1990). CrossRef
- G. R. Purdy and M. Hillert,Acta metall. 32, 823 (1984). CrossRef
- J. D. Watson and P. G. McDougall,Acta metall. 21, 961 (1973). CrossRef
- T. Ko and S. A. Cottrell,JISI 172, 307 (1952).
- K. R. Kinsman, E. Eichen and H. I. Aaronson,Metall. Trans. 6A, 303 (1975).
- M. Takahashi and H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia,Mater. Sci. and Tech. 6, 592 (1990).
- Y. Ohmori, H. Ohtsubo, Y. C. Jung, S. Okaguchi and H. Ohtani,Metall. Trans. 25A, 1981 (1994).
- Y. Ohmori, H. Ohtani and T. Kunitake,Trans. ISIJ 11, 250 (1971).
- H. Ohtani, S. Okaguchi, Y. Fujishiro and Y. Ohmori,Metall. Trans. 21A, 877 (1990).
- M. Oka, H. Okamoto and K. Ishida,Metall. Trans. 21A, 845 (1990).
- Y. Ohmori,Mater. Trans. JIM 30, 487 (1989).
- J. W. Christian,Metall. Trans. 21A, 799 (1990).
- R. F. Hehemann, K. R. Kinsman and H. I. Aaronson,Metall. Trans. 2, 1077 (1972). CrossRef
- H. Goldstein and H. I. Aaronson.Metall. Trans. 21A, 1465 (1990).
- J. R. Bradley and H. I. Aaronson,Metall. Trans. 12A, 1729 (1981).
- Y. C. Jung, K. Nakai, H. Ohtsubo and Y. Ohmori,ISIJ Int. 34, 43 (1994). CrossRef
- Y. Ohmori,ISIJ Int. 35, 962 (1995). CrossRef
- H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia and D. V. Edmonds,Acta metall. 28, 1265 (1980). CrossRef
- H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia and J. W. Christian,Metall. Trans. 21A, 767 (1990).
- J. M. Rigsbee and H. I. Aaronson,Acta metall. 27, 351 (1979). CrossRef
- G. J. Shiflet and H. I. Aaronson,Acta metall. 27, 377 (1979). CrossRef
- G. B. Olson, H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia and M. Cohen,Acta metall. 37, 381 (1989). CrossRef
- H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia,Acta metall 29, 1117 (1981). CrossRef
- H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia,Met. Sci. 16, 159 (1982).
- K. Tsuzaki, A. Kodai and T. Maki,Mater. Trans. JIM 32, 667 (1991).
- M. Enomoto and H. Tsubakino,Bulletin Japan Inst. Metals. 28, 732 (1989).
- H. I. Aaronson,Decomposition of Austenite by Diffusional Processes (eds., V. F. Zackay and H. I. Aaronson), p. 387, Interscience, New York, NY (1962).
- S. A. Mujahid and H. K. D. H. Bhadeshia,Acta metall. 41, 967 (1993). CrossRef
- Y. Ohmori, K. Nakai, H. Ohtsubo and Y. Isshiki,ISIJ Intl. 35, 969 (1995). CrossRef
- P. L. Ryder and W. Pitsch,Acta metall. 14, 1437 (1966). CrossRef
- G. Kurdjumov and G. Sachs,Z. Physik. 64, 325 (1930). CrossRef
- Morphology and growth process of bainitic ferrite in steels
Metals and Materials
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 125-134
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- The Korean Institute of Metals and Materials
- Additional Links
- Widmanstätten ferrite
- bainitic ferrite
- upper bainite
- lower bainite
- surface relief
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Materials Engineering Department, Korea Institute of Machinery & Materials, 66 Sangnam-dong, Changwon, 641-010, Kyungnam, Korea
- 2. Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Ehime University, 3 Bunkyo-cho, Matsuyama 790, Japan