Date: 08 Jan 2009
The computer-aided discovery of new embedded minimal surfaces
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- C. Costa, “Imersões minimas completas em R3 de gênero um e curvatura total finita,” Doctoral thesis, IMPA, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 1982. (Example of a complete minimal immersion in R3 of genus one and three embedded ends.Bull. Soc. Bras. Mat., 15  47–54.) CrossRef
- L. Barbosa and G. Colares,Examples of Minimal Surfaces, to appear in Springer Lecture Notes series.
- J-P. Bourguignon, H. B. Lawson and C. Margenn, “Les surfaces minimales,”Pour la Science, January 1986.
- S. Hildebrandt and A. J. Tromba,The Mathematics of Optimal Form, Scientific American Library, 1985, W. H. Freeman, New York.
- D. Hoffman,The discovery of new embedded minimal surfaces: elliptic functions; symmetry; computer graphics, Proceedings of the Berlin Conference on Global Differential Geometry, Berlin, June 1984.
- D. Hoffman,The construction of families of embedded minimal surfaces, to appear in the Proceddings of the Stanford Conference on Variational Methods for Free Surface Interfaces, September 1985.
- D. Hoffman and W. Meeks III, “Complete embedded minimal surfaces of finite total curvature,”Bull. A.M.S., January 1985, 134-136.
- D. Hoffman and W. Meeks III, “A complete embedded minimal surface with genus one, three ends and finite total curvature,”Journal of Differential Geometry, March 1985.
- D. Hoffman and W. Meeks III,The global theory of embedded minimal surfaces, to appear.
- L. Jorge and W. Meeks III, “The topology of complete minimal surfaces of finite total Gaussian curvature,”Topology, 22 No. 2, 1983, 203–221. CrossRef
- H. B. Lawson Jr,Lectures on Minimal Submanifolds, Publish or Perish Press, Berkeley, 1971.
- J. C. C. Nitsche,Minimal surfaces and partial differential equations, inStudies in Partial Differential Equations, Walter Littman, ed., MAA Studies in Mathematics, Vol. 23, Mathematical Association of America, 1982.
- R. Osserman, “Global properties of minimal surfaces in E3 and En,”Ann. of Math., 80 (1984), 340–364. CrossRef
- R. Osserman,A Survey of Minimal Surfaces, 2d Edition, Dover Publications, New York, 1986.
- R. Schoen, “Uniqueness, symmetry, and embeddedness of minimal surfaces,”J. Dif. Geom. 18, 1983, 791–809.
- I. Peterson, “Three Bites in a Doughnut,”Science News 127, No. 11, 16 March 1985.
- Dr. Crypton, “Shapes that eluded discovery,”Science Digest, April 1986.
- S. Papert,Mindstorms; Children, Computers, and Powerful Ideas, Basic Books, New York, 1980.
- The computer-aided discovery of new embedded minimal surfaces
The Mathematical Intelligencer
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 8-21
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors