Date: 08 Jan 2009
The computer-aided discovery of new embedded minimal surfaces
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
- Costa, C. (1984) “Imersões minimas completas em R3 de gênero um e curvatura total finita,” Doctoral thesis, IMPA, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 1982. (Example of a complete minimal immersion in R3 of genus one and three embedded ends. Bull. Soc. Bras. Mat. 15: pp. 47-54 CrossRef
- L. Barbosa and G. Colares,Examples of Minimal Surfaces, to appear in Springer Lecture Notes series.
- J-P. Bourguignon, H. B. Lawson and C. Margenn, “Les surfaces minimales,”Pour la Science, January 1986.
- Hildebrandt, S., Tromba, A. J. (1985) The Mathematics of Optimal Form. W. H. Freeman, New York
- Hoffman, D. (1984) The discovery of new embedded minimal surfaces: elliptic functions; symmetry; computer graphics. Proceedings of the Berlin Conference on Global Differential Geometry, Berlin
- D. Hoffman,The construction of families of embedded minimal surfaces, to appear in the Proceddings of the Stanford Conference on Variational Methods for Free Surface Interfaces, September 1985.
- D. Hoffman and W. Meeks III, “Complete embedded minimal surfaces of finite total curvature,”Bull. A.M.S., January 1985, 134-136.
- D. Hoffman and W. Meeks III, “A complete embedded minimal surface with genus one, three ends and finite total curvature,”Journal of Differential Geometry, March 1985.
- D. Hoffman and W. Meeks III,The global theory of embedded minimal surfaces, to appear.
- Jorge, L., Meeks, W. (1983) The topology of complete minimal surfaces of finite total Gaussian curvature. Topology 22: pp. 203-221 CrossRef
- Lawson, H. B. (1971) Lectures on Minimal Submanifolds. Publish or Perish Press, Berkeley
- J. C. C. Nitsche,Minimal surfaces and partial differential equations, inStudies in Partial Differential Equations, Walter Littman, ed., MAA Studies in Mathematics, Vol. 23, Mathematical Association of America, 1982.
- Osserman, R. (1984) Global properties of minimal surfaces in E3 and En. Ann. of Math. 80: pp. 340-364 CrossRef
- Osserman, R. (1986) A Survey of Minimal Surfaces. Dover Publications, New York
- Schoen, R. (1983) Uniqueness, symmetry, and embeddedness of minimal surfaces. J. Dif. Geom. 18: pp. 791-809
- I. Peterson, “Three Bites in a Doughnut,”Science News 127, No. 11, 16 March 1985.
- Dr. Crypton, “Shapes that eluded discovery,”Science Digest, April 1986.
- Papert, S. (1980) Mindstorms; Children, Computers, and Powerful Ideas. Basic Books, New York
- The computer-aided discovery of new embedded minimal surfaces
The Mathematical Intelligencer
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 8-21
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors