Optimizing transfusion practice
- Spiess BD. Risks of transfusion: outcome focus. Transfusion 2004; 44: 4S-14S. CrossRef
- Hebert PC, Qun Hu L, Biro GP. Review of physiologic mechanisms in response to anemia. CMAJ 1997; 156(suppl): S27-S40.
- Kleinman S, Chan P, Robillard P. Risks associated with transfusion of cellular blood components in Canada. Transfus Med Rev 2003; 17: 120–62.
- Corwin HL, Gettinger A, Pearl RG, et al. The CRIT Study: Anemia and blood transfusion in the critically ill-current clinical practice in the United States. Crit Care Med 2004; 32: 39–52. CrossRef
- Weiskopf RB. Do we know when to transfuse red cells to treat acute anemia? Transfusion 1998; 38: 517–21. CrossRef
- Turgeon AF, Fergusson DA, Doucette S, Khanna MP, Tinmouth A, Hebert PC. Red blood cell transfusion practices amongst anesthesiologists: a survey. Can J Anesth 2006; 53: 344–52. CrossRef
- Hebert PC, Wells G, Blajchman MA, et al. A multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial of transfusion requirements in critical care. Transfusion Requirements in Critical Care Investigators, Canadian Critical Care Trials Group. N Engl J Med 1999; 340: 409–17. CrossRef
- Nuttall GA, Stehling LC, Beighley CM, Faust RJ;American Society of Anesthesiologists Committee on Transfusion Medicine. Current transfusion practices of members of the American Society of Anesthesiologists: a survey. Anesthesiology 2003; 99: 1433–43. CrossRef
- American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Perioperative Blood Transfusion and Adjuvant Therapies. Practice guidelines for perioperative blood transfusion and adjuvant therapies: an updated report (October 2005). Available from URL; http://www. asahq.org/publicationsAndServices/BCTGuidesFinal. pdf.
- Stehling LC, Ellison N, Faust RJ, Grotta AW, Moyers JR. A survey of transfusion practices among anesthesiologists. Vox Sang 1987; 52: 60–2.
- Wu WC, Rathore SS, Wang Y, Radford MJ, Krumholz HM. Blood transfusion in elderly patients with acute myocardial infarction. N Engl J Med 2001; 345: 1230–6. CrossRef
- Rao SV, Jollis JG, Harrington RA, et al. Relationship of blood transfusion and clinical outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes. JAMA 2004; 292: 1555–62. CrossRef
- Vara-Thorbeck R, Guerrero-Fernandez Marcote JA. Hemodynamic response of elderly patients undergoing major surgery under moderate normovolemic hemodilution. Eur Surg Res 1985; 17: 372–6. CrossRef
- Covin R, O’Brien M, Grunwald G, et al. Factors affecting transfusion of fresh frozen plasma, platelets, and red blood cells during elective coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003; 127: 415–23.
- Optimizing transfusion practice
Canadian Journal of Anesthesia
Volume 53, Issue 4 , pp 331-335
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors