, Volume 38, Issue 6, pp 700-703

Is preoperative haemoglobin testing justified in children undergoing minor elective surgery?

Abstract

The need for preoperative haemoglobin determination before the administration of general anaesthesia to paediatric patients has long been an issue for debate. This study was undertaken to determine the value of routine preoperative haemoglobin testing in paediatric patients scheduled for minor surgery. Two thousand patients ages one month to 18 yr scheduled for minor surgery were studied. The patients were grouped according to age, Group I ≤ yr, Group II 1–5 yr, Group III > 5 yr. The charts of patients whose preoperative haemoglobin concentration (Hb) was < 100 g · L−1 were reviewed at a later date to determine the course of their anaesthesia and surgery. Eleven patients, all of whom were > 5 yr (0.5%), had a Hb < 100 g · L−1. Of these, three patients, 27%, had their surgery deferred, whereas the remaining eight patients, 73%, underwent anaesthesia and surgery without complications. The three patients who were deferred returned for uneventful anaesthesia and surgery following oral iron therapy. We conclude that healthy paediatric patients five years and older scheduled for minor surgery do not require routine Hb determinations. Furthermore, the low incidence of anaemia and low deferral rate of anaemic children, 1–5 yr of age, lead us to question the value of preoperative Hb testing in this age group.

Résumé

La necéssité de déterminer l’hémoglobine en préopératoire avant l’administration de l’anesthésie générate aux patients pédiatriques a été débattue de longue date. Cette étude fut entreprise afin de déterminer la valeur de tester l’hémoglobine de routine en préopératoire chez les patients pédiatriques dont l’intervention est prévue pour une chirurgie mineure. Deux mille patients âgés de un mois à 18 ans cédulés pour chirurgie mineure furent étudiés. Les patients furent divisés en groupe selon leur âge. Groupe 1 <1 an, Groupe II 1–5 ans, Groupe III > 5 ans. Les dossiers des patients dont la concentration d’hémoglobine en préopératoire (Hb) était < 100 g · L−1 furent revus plus tard afin de déterminer l’évolution de la chirurgie et de l’anesthésie. Onze patients, tous plus âgés que 5 ans (0,5%), avaient une hémoglobine inférieure à 100 g · L−1. Parmi ceux-là, trois patients, 27%, out eu la chirurgie retardée alors que les huit autres, 73%, ont subi la chirurgie et l’anesthésie sans complication. Les trois patients qui ont eu leur chirurgie retardée sont relournés après le traitement avec du fer oral, ils ont subi plus tard l’anesthesie et une chirurgie sans incident. On conclut que les patients pédiatriques en bonne santé âgés de cinq ans et plus, cédulés pour une chirurgie mineure, ne requièrent pas la détermination de la concentration d’hémoglobine préopératoire de routine. De plus, la faible incidence d’anémie et de retard de chirurgie chez les enfants anémiques âgés de un à cinq ans nous fait douter de la valeur de la determination routinière de la concentration d’hémoglobine préopératoire pour ce groupe d’âge.

Presented in part at the annual meeting of the Canadian Anaesthetists’ Society, June 1990.