Two new mutants, ‘trembler’ and ‘reeler’, with neurological actions in the house mouse (Mus musculus L.)
- D. S. Falconer
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Trembler (Tr) is a new dominant gene of the house mouse. It arose by spontaneous gonosomic mutation resulting in a mosaic gonad. It produces a spastic paralysis, more severe in the hind legs, and in the adult a generalized tremor that ceases when the animal is at rest. The young exhibit convulsions when stimulated. Viability is probably somewhat reduced, and this may have been the cause of a deficiency of Tremblers in the progeny of
The method used for the culturing ofCoprinus lagopus, and for the production of X-ray mutants, has been described.
The mating type exhibited by this group has been outlined and the independent inheritance of the mating type genes has been shown.
Four morphological mutants have been described, one of which is linked with one of the mating type genes.
The action of natural selection with regard to the binucleate condition of the secondary mycelium has been discussed.
- Beadle, G. W. &Coonradt, V. L. (1944). Heterocaryosis inNeurospora crassa.Genetics,29, 290.
- Bensaude, M. (1918).Recherches sur le cycle évolutif et la sexualité chez les Basidiomycèles. Pp. 1–156. Paris: Nemours.
- Buller, A. H. R. (1924).Researches on fungi,3. London: Longman, Green and Co.
- Buller, A. H. R. (1931).Researches on fungi,4. London: Longman, Green and Co.
- Fries, L. (1948). Mutations induced inCoprinus fimetarius (L.) by nitrogen mustard.Nature, Lond.,162, 846. CrossRef
- Hanna, W. F. (1924). The dry-needle method of making monosporous cultures of hymenomycetes and other fungi.Ann. Bot., Lond.,38, 791.
- Hanna, W. F. (1925). The problem of sex inCoprinus lagopus.Ann. Bot., Lond.,39, 431.
- Two new mutants, ‘trembler’ and ‘reeler’, with neurological actions in the house mouse (Mus musculus L.)
Journal of Genetics
Volume 50, Issue 2 , pp 192-205
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- D. S. Falconer (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Genetics Laboratory, Animal Breeding and Genetics Research Organization, Institute of Animal Genetics, West Mains Road, Edinburgh 9