Coastal landform mapping around the Gulf of Khambhat using Landsat TM data
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Landsat TM data was utilised for coastal geomorphic mapping around the Gulf of Khambhat. Various landforms like shoreline, estuaries, mudflats, islands, mangroves, relict aluvium, cliffs, dunes, flood plains, paleochannel, paleomeanders, oxbow lake, etc. were delineated. The estuaries were divided into salt-wedge estuary, fully mixed estuary and partially mixed estuary based on amount of freshwater discharge and nature of tidal currents. The mudflats were classified into high tide flats, intertidal slopes and subtidal zones. These classes were further classified based on their composition. It was concluded that TM data has broughtout many new features and improved the classification of coastal landforms. The presence of coastal features like drowned river valleys, paleomudflats, relict alluvium, dunes, paleomeanders, oxbow lake and terraces clearly indicate the sea-level changes of the Quarternary period.
- Davies, J.L. (1972). Geographical variation in coastal development, Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, 204 p.
- Langbein, W.B. (1963). The hydraulic geometry of a small tidal estuary. Bull. Int. Asso. Scien. Hydrol., 8:84–94.
- Nayak, S.R., and Shahi, B. (1983). Morphological changes in the Mahi estuary. In the Proc. of the National conf. on Application of Remote Snesing, Centre of studies in Resources Engineering, IIT, Bombay, pp. 152–154.
- Nayak, S.R., and Sahai, B. (1984). Coastal morphology of the Gulf of Khambhat, In the Proc. of the symp. on Quarternay Episodes in India: Neotectonism, Eustasy and Paleoclimates. Dept. of Geology, M.S. University, Baroda, pp. 87–96.
- Nayak, S.R., and Sahai, B. (1985). Coastal morphology a case study of the Gulf of Khambhat (Cambay), Int. J. of Remote Sensing, 6(4 & 4): pp. 559–567. CrossRef
- Nayak, S.R. Gupta, M.C. and Chauhan, H.B. (1985). Monitoring of wetland and shoreline on the part of Gujarat coast using Landsat data. In the Proc. of the 6th Asian Conf. on Remote Sensing, NRSA, Hyderbad, pp. 348–353.
- Nayak, S.R. Gupta, M.C. and Chauhan, H.B. (1986). Wetland and shoreline mapping of the part of Gujarat coast using Landsat data. Scientific Note. Sapce Applications Centre, Ahmedabad. IRS-UP/SAC/MCE/SN/06/86. 24p.
- Nayak, S.R., Shaikh, M.G., Shah, P.N., Patel, V.B. and Jambusaria, B.B. (1938). Application of aerial photographs in the Geomorphic mapping of the Mahi estuarine areas. Scientific Note. Space Applications Centre, Ahemdabad. IRS-UP/SAC/ MCE/SN/15/88 13p.
- Patel, M.P., Patel, S.G. and Merh, S.S. (1985). Geomorphic evidences of Quarternary sea level changes in Mahi-Tapi coastal segment of Gujarat. In the Proc. of the Symp. on Quaternary Episodes in India (S.S. Merh and N.M. Vashi, Editors), Dept. of Geology, M.S. University, Baroda, pp. 49–62.
- Pethick, J. (1984). An introduction to coastal geomorphology, Arnold-Heinemann, New Delhi 260p.
- Pritchard, D. (1952). Estuarine hydrology. Advances in Geophysics, Vol. 1, pp. 243–280.
- Shaikh, M.G., Nayak, S., Jambusaria, B.B. and Thatte C.D. (1987a). Monitoring of shoreline in the Mahl estuary. In Remote Sensing Applications in Coastal Studies. Scientific report. Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad. IRS-UP/SAC/ MCE/SN/08/87. pp. 34–38.
- Shaikh, M.G., Nayak, S., Shah, P.N. and Jambusaira, B.B. (1987b). Monitoring of shoreline changes in the Narmada estuary using Landsat data. In Remote Sensing Applications in Coastal Studies. Scientific report. Space Applications Centre, Ahmedabad. IRS-UP/SAC/MCE/SN/ 08/87. pp. 39–42.
- Coastal landform mapping around the Gulf of Khambhat using Landsat TM data
Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing
Volume 17, Issue 1 , pp 41-48
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links