Selenium in Kashin-Beck disease areas
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this article, the duplication portion technique was used to determine the daily intakes of selenium and ten other elements in the 24-h total diets collected in the typical Kashin-Beck endemic areas, i.e., Shanxi Province and Inner Mongolia Autonomous of China. The contents of Ca, Mg, Cu, Fe, Zn, Mn, Al, Sr, Ba, and P in freeze-dried samples were determined by ICP-AES. Se was determined by differential pulse catalytic polarography.
The average Se contents in total diets of Shanxi Kashin-Beck endemic and nonendemic areas were 0.009 and 0.021 μg/g (dry weight), respectively (P<0.001), corresponding to the daily intakes for Se of 4.6 and 10.5 μg. After the Se-supplemented fertilizer was applied (225 g of Na2SeO3/ha), the average Se content in total diets of Kashin-Beck disease area was increased to 0.0336 μg/g, which corresponded to the average daily intake for Se of 16.8 μg.
In Inner Mongolia Kashin-Beck endemic and nonendemic areas, the average Se contents in total diets were 0.006 and 0.017 μg/g, respectively (p<0.001), corresponding to the average daily intakes for Se of 3 and 8.5μg. The contents of other ten elements in total diets in endemic and nonendemic areas were reported and compared.
- Z. Li,Environ. Science 2(5), 18 (in Chinese) (1981).
- S. Hou,Chinese J. End. Dis. 2, 21 (in Chinese) (1982).
- L. Xu,Z. Anal. Chem. 332, 45 (1988). CrossRef
- S. H. Harrison,Anal. Chem. 47, 1985 (1975).
- IAEA, Co-ordinated research program on human daily dietary intakes of nutritionally important trace elements, draft (1984).
- Q. Xiong,Symposium of Analytical Quality Control, Shanghai (in Chinese) (1987).
- S. Yin,Nutr. Acta 7(3), 195 (in Chinese) (1985).
- G. Xu,Nutr. Acta 4(3), 183 (in Chinese) (1982).
- Endemic Disease Research Group,Nutr. Acta 4(3), 175 (in Chinese) (1982).
- Selenium in Kashin-Beck disease areas
Biological Trace Element Research
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 1-9
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- trace elements
- total diets
- Kashin-Beck disease
- selenium-supplemented fertilizer
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Shanghai Institute of Metallurgy, Academia Sinica, 200050, Shanghai, China
- 2. Gesellschaft für Strahlen- und Umweltforschung mbH, Institut für Ökologische Chemie, D-8042, Neuherberg, Germany