Growth factors and hematopoietic recovery
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Availability of hematopoietic growth factors (GC-SF, GM-CSF, erythropoietin,etc.) has started a new arena of dose-intensification. The use of such growth factors has resulted in faster hematopoietic recovery of cancer patients and now offers several new treatment modifications. These include: (1)dose-intensification without hematopoietic stem cell support, (2) speedier hematopoetic recovery after hematoablative therapy and stem cell transplantation (allogeneic or autologous); (3) use of combination of growth factors, and (4) improvement in the delivery of anti-microbial drugs which are toxic towards hematopoietic cells (Gancyclovir, Bactrim,etc.). The above treatment strategies are under active clinical trials and can provide improved, cost-effective methods of treating patients with cancer.
- Lieschke G J and Burgess A W. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor.N Eng J Med,327,28–35 (1992).
- Lieschke G J and Burgess A W. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor.N Eng J Med,327,99–106 (1992).
- DeWitte T, Gratwohl A, Van Der Lely N, Bacigalupo A, Stern A C, Speck B, Schattenberg A, Nissen C, Gluckrnan E and Fibbe W E. Recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor accelerates neutrophil and monocyte recovery after allogeneic Tcelldepleted bone marrow transplantation.Blood,79,1359–1365 (1992).
- Fritsch G, Emminger W, Buchinger P, Printz D and Gadner H. CD34+ cell proportions in peripheral blood correlate with colonyforming capacity.Exp Hematol,19,1079–1083 (1991).
- Siena S, Bregni M, Brando B, Belli N, Ravagnani F, Gandola L, Stern A C, Landsdorp P M, Bonadonna G and Ganni A M. Flow cytometry for clinical estimation of circulating hematopoietic progenitors for autologous transplantation in cancer patients.Blood,77,400–409 (1991).
- Janssen W E, Farmelo M J, Lee C, Smilee R, Kronish L and Elfenbein G J. The CD34+ cell fraction in bone marrow and blood is not universally predictive of CFUGM.Exp Hematol 20,528–530 (1992).
- Siena S, Bregni M, Gianni A M and Janssen W E. Estimation of peripheral blood CD34+ cells for autologous transplantation in cancer patients:Exp Hematol,21,203–205 (1993).
- Jones R J, Sharkis S J, Celano P, Colvin O M, Rowley S C and Sensenbrenner L L. Progenitor cell assays predict hematopoietic reconstitution after syngeneic transplantation in mice.Blood,70,1186–1192 (1987).
- Gulati S C.Purging in bone marrow transplantation. R.G. Landes, CRC Press, 2000 Corporate Boulevard, Boca Raton, FL 33431 (1993).
- Douay L, Gorin N C, Mary J Y, Lemarie E, Lopez M, Najman A, Stachowiak J, Giarratana M C, Bailou C, Salmon C and Duhamel G. Recovery of CFUGM from cryo-preserved bone marrow andin vivo evaluation after autologous bone marrow transplantation are predictive of engraftment.Exp Hematol,14,358–365 (1986).
- Atkinson K, Biggs J C, Downs K, Juttner C, Bradstock K, Lowenthal R M, Dale B, Szer J. GMCSF after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation: accelerated recovery of neutrophils, monocytes and Iymphocytes.Aust NZ J Med 21,686–692 (1991).
- Nemunaitis J, Rabinowe S N, Singer J W, Bierman P J, Vose J M, Freedman A S, Onetto N, Giltis S, Oette D, Gold M, Buckner D, Hansen J A, Ritz J, Appelbaum F R, Armitage J O, Nadler L M. Recombinant granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor after autologous bone marrow transplantation for Iymphoid cancer.N Eng J Med,324,1773–1778 (1991).
- Gianni A M, Bregni M, Stern A C, Siena S, Tarella C, Pileri A and Bonadonna G. granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor to harvest circulating haemopoietic stem cells for autotransplantation.Lancet, 580–585 (1989).
- Gulati S C and Bennett C L. granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF) as adjunct therapy in relapsed Hodgkin Disease.Annals of lnternal Medicine,116,177–182 (1992).
- Bot F J, van Eijk L, Schipper P, Backx B and Lowenberg B. Synergistic effects between GMC-SF and GC-SF or MC-SF on highly enriched human marrow progenitor cells.Leukemia,4,325–328 (1990).
- Morstyn G, Campbell L, Lieschke G, Layton J E, Maher D, O’Connor M, Green M, Sheridan W, Vincent M, Alton K, Souza L, McGrath K, Fox R M. Treatment of chemotherapy-induced neutropenia by subcutaneously administered granulocyte colony-stimulating factor with optimization of dose and duration of therapy.J Clin Oncol,7,1554–1562 (1989).
- Bender J G, Bik To L, Williams S, Schwartzberg L S. Defining a therapeutic dose of peripheral blood stem cells.J Hematotherapy,1,329–341 (1992).
- To L B, Haylock D N, Dyson P G, Thorp D, Roberts M M, Juttner C A. An unusual patter of hematopoietic reconstitution in patients with acute myeloid leukemia transplanted with autologous recovery phase peripheral blood.Bone Marrow Transplant,5,109–114 (1990).
- Harrison D E, Jordan C T, Zhong R K and Astle C M. Primitive hemopoietic stem cells: direct assay of most productive populations by competitive repopulation with simple binomial, correlation and covariance calculations.Exp Hematol,21,206–219 (1993).
- Lopez M, Mary J Y, Sainteny F.Invitro purging of bone marrow with mafosfamide synergizes withinvivo chemotherapy to delay the hematological recovery in a murine model of autologous bone marrow transplantation.Exp Hematol,21,311–318 (1993).
- Brenner M K, Rill D, Moen R C,et al. Genemarking to trace origin of relapse after autologous bone marrow transplantation.Lancet,341,85–86 (1993). CrossRef
- MacKintosh F R, Adlish J, Hall S W, St.Joer S, Smith E, Tavassoli M and Zanjani E D. Suppression of normal human hematopoiesis by cytomegalovirusinvitro.Exp Hematol,21,243–250 (1993).
- Schwartzberg L S, Birch R, Hazelton B, Tauer K W, Lee P Jr, Altemose R, George C, Blanco R, Wittlin F, Cohen J, Muscato J and West W H. Peripheral blood stem cell mobilization by chemotherapy with or without recombinant human granulocyte colony-stimulating factor.J Hematotherapy,1,317–327 (1992).
- Moore M A S. Does stem cell exhaustion result from combining hematopoeitic growth factors with chemotherapy? If so, how do we prevent it?Blood,80,3–7 (1992).
- Bitran J, White L, Okuno T, Martinec J, Samuels B and Klein L. Mobilization of early hematopoietic progenitors after high dose cyclophosphamide alone and cyclophosphamide and thiotepa.ASCO,12,1527 (1993).
- Fleischlauer K, Kernan N, O’Reilly R J, Dupont B and Young Yang S. Bone marrowallograft rejection by Tlymphocytes recognizing a single amino acid difference in HLAB44.N Engl J Med,323,1381–1822 (1990).
- Emerson S G, Sieff C A, Gross R G, Rozans M K, Miller R A, Rappeport J M and Nathan D G. Decreased hematopoietic accessory cell function following bone marrow transplantation.Exp Hematol,15,1013–1021 (1987).
- Straus S E, Cohen J, Tosato G and Meier J. Epstein Barr virus infections: Biology, pathogenesis, and management.Annals of Internal Medicine,118,45–58 (1993).
- Anderson L J and Torok T. Human Parvovirus B19.NEJM,321,536–538 (1989).
- Matthews J H. Pulmonary toxicity of ABVD chemotherapy and GCSF in Hodgkin’s disease: Possible synergy.Lancet,342,988 (1993). CrossRef
- Iki S, Yoshinaga K, Ohbayashi Y,et al. Cytotoxic drug-induced pneumonia and possible augmentation b GCSFClinical attention.Ann Hematol 66,217–218 1993. CrossRef
- Brugger W, Bross K, Fisch J,et al. Mobilization of peripheral blood progenitor cells by sequential administration of interleukin-3 and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor following polychemotherapy with etoposide, if osfamide, and cisplatin.Blood,79,1193–1200 (1992).
- Neidhart J, Mangalik A, Stidley C, Tebich S, Sarmiento L, Pfile J, Oette D and Oldhan F. Dosing regimen of granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor to support dose-intensive chemotherapy.J Clin Oncol,10,1460–1469 (1992).
- Wing E J, Magee D M, Whiteside T L, Kaplan S S and Shadduck R K. Recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor enhances monocyte cytotoxicity and secretion of tumor necrosis factor a and interferon in cancer patients.Blood,73,643–646 (1989).
- Rabinowitz J, Petros W P, Stuart A R and Peters W P. Characterization of endogenous cytokine concentrations alter highdose chemotherapy with autologous bone marrow support.Blood,81,2452–2459 (1993).
- Kawano Y, Takaue Y, Saito S I, Sato J, Shimuzu T, Suzue T, Hirao A, Okamoto Y, Abe T, Watanabe T, Kuroda Y, Kimura F, Motoyoshi K and Asano S. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor macrophage CSF, granulocyte-macrophage CSF, interleukin-3, and interleukin-6 levels in sera from children undergoing blood stem cell autografts.Blood,81,856–860 (1993).
- Locatelli F, Pedrazzoli P, Barosi G, Zecca M, Porta F, Liberato L, Gambarana D, Nespoli L and Cassola M. Recombinant human erythropoietin is effective in correcting erythropoietin-deficient anemia after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation.British J Haematol,80,545–549 (1992). CrossRef
- Miller C B, Platanias L C, Mills S R, Zahurak M L, Ratain M J, Ettinger D S and Jones R J. Phase 111 trial of erythropoietin in the treatment of cisplatinassociated anemia.J Natl Cancer Inst,84,98–103 (1992). CrossRef
- Platanias L C, Miller C B, Mick R, Hart R D, Ozer H, McEvilly J M, Jones R J and Ratain M J. Treatment of chemotherapy-induced anemia with recombinant human erythropoietin in cancer patients.J Clin Oncol,9,2021–2026 (1991).
- Gulati S C, Bennett C, Phillips J and Van Poznak C. GMCSF as an adjunct to autologous bone marrow transplantation.Stem Cells,11,20–25 (1993). CrossRef
- Crown J, Kritz A, Vahdat L, Reich L, Moore M, Hamilton N, Schneider J, Harrison M, Gilewski T, Hudis C, Gulati S C and Norton L. Rapid administration of multiple cycles of highdose myelosuppressive chemotherapy in patients with metastatic breast cancer.JCO,11,1144–1149 (1993).
- Rubinstein P, Rosenfield R E, Adamson J W and Stevens C E. Stored placental blood for unrelated bone marrow reconstitution.Blood,81,1679–1690 (1993).
- Brugger W, Klaus J B Glattet al. Mobilization of tumor cells and hematopoietic progenitor cell into peripheral blood of patients with solid tumors.Blood,83,636–640 (1994)
- Gulati S C. Did we focus on the most important issues in the use of growth factors and stem cell transplantation?J Clin Oncol,12,650–652 (1994).
- Kutsogiannis D J, Crowther M A and Lazarovitis A I, Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor for the therapy of cytomegalovirus and gancyclovir-induced leukopenia in a renal transplant recipient.Transplantation,53,930–932 (1992). CrossRef
- Growth factors and hematopoietic recovery
Volume 11, Issue 1 , pp 1-6
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Growth factors
- hematopoietic recovery
- Industry Sectors