Influence of irrigation and nitrogen management on potato yield and quality
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of irrigation, water and nitrogen management on yield and quality of the Russet Burbank cultivar are discussed relevant to developmental stages of growth. Recent research on the interactions of irrigation and nitrogen management on total and U.S. No. 1 yields and specific gravity are presented. Total and U.S. No. 1 yields decline with increasing soil moisture stress. Yield of U.S. No. 1 potatoes is particularly sensitive to short periods of irrigation deficit during tuber initiation. Total yield appears most sensitive to short periods of irrigation deficit during tuber bulking. Allocation of longer term irrigation deficits during years of limited water supply should be either a) avoided during mid-season tuber bulking, or b) uniformly distributed over the entire tuber bulking growth period. Yield increases with higher total available soil nitrogen under deficit irrigation, but the yield response diminishes as the amount of total seasonal water decreases. The influence of irrigation and nitrogen availability is also discussed for specific gravity and tuber maturity. Seasonal (split) nitrogen management is proposed as a method to improve yield, quality and nitrogen fertilizer use efficiency of indeterminant cultivars.
- Ackerson, R.C., D.R. Krieg, T.D. Miller and R.G. Stevens. 1977. Water Relations and Physiological Activity of Potatoes. J Ame Soc Hortic Sci 102(5):572–575.
- Augustin, J., R.E. McDole and G.C. Painter. 1977. Influence of Fertilizer, Irrigation, and Storage Treatments on Nitrate-N Content of Potato Tubers. Am Potato J 54:125–136. CrossRef
- Braue, C.A., R.L. Wample, P.E. Kolattukudy and B.B. Dean. 1983. Relationship of Potato Tuber Periderm Resistance to Plant Water Status. Am Potato J 60:827–837. CrossRef
- Carter, J.N. and S.M. Bosma. 1974. Effect of Fertilizer and Irrigation on Nitrate- Nitrogen and Total Nitrogen in Potato Tubers. Agron J 66:263–266.
- Epstein, E. and W.J. Grant. 1973. Water Stress Relations of the Potato Plant Under Field Conditions. Agron J 65:400–404.
- Hang, A.N. and D.E. Miller. 1986. Yield and Physiological Responses of Potatoes to Deficit, High Frequency Sprinkler Irrigation. Agron J 78:436–440. CrossRef
- Harris, P.M. 1978. Water. In: The Potato Crop (P.M. Harris, Ed.). pp. 244–277.
- Hiller, L.K., D.C. Koller and R.E. Thornton. 1985. Physiological Disorders of Potato Tubers.In: Potato Physiology (PH. Li, Ed.). pp. 389–455.
- Hooker, W.J. 1981. Secondary Growth and Jelly End Rot.In: Compendium of Potato Diseases (W.J. Hooker, Ed.). American Phytopathological Society, St. Paul, MN. pp. 12–13.
- Iritani, W.M. and L.D. Weiler. 1980. Sugar Development in Potatoes. Washington State University Cooperative Extension Bulletin No. 0717.
- Jackson, T.L., C.H. Ullery, T. Davidson and M. Johnson. 1973. Effect of Irrigation and Nitrogen Fertilizer on Yield and Grade of Russet Burbank Potatoes. Proc Annu Pac Northwest Fert Conf 24:55–63.
- Kleinkopf, G.E. 1983. Potato.In: Crop Water Relations (J.D. Teare and M.M. Peet, Eds.). Wiley & Sons, NY. pp. 287–305.
- Kleinkopf, G.E. and DT. Westermann. 1982. Scheduling Nitrogen Applications for Russet Burbank Potatoes. University of Idaho Current Information Series No. 637.
- Kleinkopf, G.E., D.T. Westermann and R.B. Dwelle. 1981. Dry Matter Production and Nitrogen Utilization by Six Potato Cultivars. Agron J 73:799–802.
- Kleinschmidt, G.D., G.E. Kleinkopf, D.T. Westermann and J.C. Zalewski. 1984. Specific Gravity of Potatoes. University of Idaho Current Information Series No. 609.
- Larsen, D.C. 1984. Simplifying Potato Irrigation Scheduling—The Idaho Program. Am Potato J 61:215–227. CrossRef
- Levy, D. 1983. Varietal differences in the Response of Potatoes to Repeated Short Periods of Water Stress in Hot Climates. 2. Tuber Yield and Dry Matter Accumulation and Other Tuber Properties. Potato Res 26:315–321. CrossRef
- McDole, R.E. 1980. Effects of Fertilizers on Specific Gravity. Proceedings of the University of Idaho Winter Commodity Schools 12:57–59.
- McDole, R.E. and G.M. McMaster. 1978. Effects of Moisture Stress and Nitrogen Fertilization on Tuber Nitrate-Nitrogen Content. Am Potato J 55:611–619. CrossRef
- MacKerron, D.K. and R.A. Jefferies. 1985. Observations on the Effects of Relief of Late Water Stress in Potato. Potato Res 28:349–359. CrossRef
- MacKerron, D.K. and R.A. Jefferies. 1986. The Influence of Early Soil Moisture Stress on Tuber Numbers in Potato. Potato Res 29:299–312. CrossRef
- Miller, D.E. and M.W. Martin. 1985. Effect of Water Stress During Tuber Formation on Subsequent Growth and Internal Defects in Russet Burbank Potatoes. Am Potato J 62:83–89. CrossRef
- Miller, D.E. and M.W. Martin. 1987. Effect of Declining or Interrupted Irrigation on Yield and Quality of Three Potato Cultivars Grown on Sandy Soil. Am Potato J 64:109–117. CrossRef
- Nielsen, L.W. and W.C. Sparks. 1953. Bottleneck Tubers and Jelly-End Rot in the Russet Burbank Potato. University of Idaho Agric Exp Sta Res Bull No. 23.
- Ojala, J.C., J.C. Stark, G.D. Kleinschmidt, R.G. Beaver and E.V. Musselman. 1989. Brown Center and Hollow Heart in Potatoes. University of Idaho Current Information Series No. 691.
- Painter, C.G. and J. Augustin. 1976. The Effect of Soil Moisture and Nitrogen on Yield and Quality of the Russet Burbank Potato. Am Potato J 53:275–284. CrossRef
- Painter, C.G., R.E. Ohms and A. Waltz. 1977. The Effect of Planting Date, Seed Spacing, Nitrogen Rate and Harvest Date on Yield and Quality of Potatoes in Southwestern Idaho. University of Idaho Agri Exp Sta Bull No. 571.
- Painter, C.G. and D.V. Naylor. 1973. Loss of Nitrate-Nitrogen and Soil Sediments From Water Run-Off and Movement of Nitrate-Nitrogen in Soil From Furrow Irrigation of Potatoes in Southwestern Idaho. University of Idaho Agri Exp Sta Progress Re No. 166.
- Rex, B.L. and G. Mazza. 1989. Cause, Control and Detection of Hollow Heart in Potatoes: A Review. Am Potato J 66:165–183. CrossRef
- Roberts, S. and J.E. Middleton. 1972. Environmental Consideration in Nitrogen- Irrigation Management for Potato Production on Sandy Soil. Proc Annu Pac Northwest Fert Conf 23:53–62.
- Roberts, S., W.H. Weaver and J.P. Phelps. 1982. Effect of Rate and Time of Fertilization on Nitrogen and Yield of Russet Burbank Potatoes Under Center Pivot Irrigation. Am Potato J 59:77–86. CrossRef
- Ruf, R.H. 1964. Shape Defects of Russet Burbank Potato Tubers as Influenced by Soil Moisture, Temperature and Fertility Level. Proc Am Soc Hort Sci 85:441–445.
- Ruf, R.H. 1964. The Influence of Temperature and Moisture Stress on Tuber Malformation and Respiration. Am Potato J 41:377–381. CrossRef
- Sattelmacher, B. and H. Marschner. 1979. Tuberization in Potato Plants as Affected by Applications of Nitrogen to the Roots and Leaves. Potato Res 22:49–57. CrossRef
- Singh, G. 1969. A Review of the Soil-Moisture Relationship in Potatoes. Am Potato J 46:398–403. CrossRef
- Sparks, W.C. 1958. Abnormalities in the Potato Due to Water Uptake and Translocation. Am Potato J 35:430–436. CrossRef
- Stark, J.C. 1985. Management Factors Affecting Potato Quality. Proceedings of the University of Idaho Winter Commodity Schools 17:139–141.
- Stevenson, F.J. 1982. Origin and Distribution of Nitrogen in Soil.In: Nitrogen in Agricultural Soils (F.J. Stevenson, Ed.). American Society of Agronomy, Inc., Madison, WI. pp. 1–42.
- Struik, P.C. and G. Van Voorst. 1986. Effects of Drought on the Initiation, Yield and Size Distribution of Tubers ofSolarium tuberosum L. cv. Bintje. Potato Res 29:487–500. CrossRef
- Van Heemst, H.D.J. 1986. The Distribution of Dry Matter During Growth of a Potato Crop. Potato Res 29:55–66. CrossRef
- Van Loon, C.D. 1981. The Effect of Water Stress on Potato Growth, Development, and Yield. Am Potato J 58:51–69. CrossRef
- Westermann, D.T. and G.E. Kleinkopf. 1985. Nitrogen Requirements of Potatoes. Agron J 77:616–621.
- Westermann, D.T., G.E. Kleinkopf and L.K. Porter. 1988. Nitrogen Fertilizer Efficiencies on Potatoes. Am Potato J 65:377–386. CrossRef
- Influence of irrigation and nitrogen management on potato yield and quality
American Potato Journal
Volume 67, Issue 1 , pp 29-43
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Plant Science Division, University of Idaho, University Place, 83402, Idaho Falls, ID
- 2. Plant Science Division, University of Idaho Agricultural Research and Extension Center, 83210, Aberdeen, ID
- 3. Plant Science Division, University of Idaho Agricultural Research and Extension Center, 83301, ID, Kimberly