Usefulness of201Tl and99mTc MIBI scintigraphy in a case of oncogenic osteomalacia
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A 45-year-old male was admitted with difficulty in walking due to leg pain. At the time of the first visit, a reduced serum phosphorus concentration and an increased serum alkaline phosphatase concentration of unknown etiology were observed. Either a whole body bone scintigraphy or CT of the neck, chest and abdominal region did not reveal any underlying disease. However both the whole body201T1 scintigraphy and99mTc MIBI SPECT showed accumulation in the right knee region, and a small tumor was detected by MRI examination. After a diagnosis of oncogenic osteomalacia due to this tumor was determined the tumor was surgically removed, and turned out to be a hemangiopericytoma. By removal of the tumor, either the symptoms or the laboratory data were improved significantly. In this case, both201T1 scintigraphy and99mTc scintigraphy MIBI were useful in identifying the location of the tumor which caused oncogenic osteomalacia.
- Prader VA, Illing R, Uehlinger E, Stalder G. Rachitis infolge Knochentumors.Helv Paediatr Acta 1959; 14: 554–565.
- Drezner MK. Tumor-induced rickets and osteomalacia. In:Primer on the Metabolic Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism, Fravus MJ (ed), 3rd ed. Philadelphia; Lippincott-Raven, 1996: 319–325.
- Dorfman HD, Czerniak B.Bone tumors. St. Louis; Mosby, 1998; 1111–1119.
- Sundarman M, McCarthy EF. Oncogenic osteomalacia.Skeletal Radiol 2000; 29: 117–124. CrossRef
- Econs MJ, Drezner MK. Tumor-induced osteomalacia-unveiling a new hormone.N Engl J Med 1994; 330: 1679–1681. CrossRef
- Nuovo MA, Dorfman HD, Sun CJ, Chalew SA. Tumor-induced osteomalacia and rickets.Am J Surg Pathol 1989; 13:588–599. CrossRef
- Nakahama H, Nakanishi T, Uno H, Takaoka T, Taji N, Uyama O, et al. Prostate cancer-induced oncogenic hypo-phosphatemic osteomalacia.Urol Int 1995; 55: 38–40. CrossRef
- Weinder N, Bar RS, Weiss D, Strottmann MP. Neoplastic pathology of oncogenic osteomalacia/rickets.Cancer 1985; 55: 1691–1705. CrossRef
- Weinder N, Cruz DS. Phosphaturic mesenchymal tumors; A polymorphous group causing osteomalacia or rickets.Cancer 1987; 59: 1442–1454. CrossRef
- Avila NA, Skarulis M, Rubino DM, Doppman JL. Oncogenic osteomalacia: Lesion detection by MR skeletal surveyAJR 1996: 167:343–345.
- Ohta H. Nakanishi S, Oki S, Simizu M, Watanabe H, Fujikawa S, et al. Bone scintigraphy in a case of oncogenous osteomalacia.Clin Nucl Med 1998; 23: 467–469. CrossRef
- Sandhu FA, Martuza RM. Craniofocal hemangiopericytoma associated with oncogenic osteomalacia: case report.J Neur-Oncol 2000; 46: 241–247. CrossRef
- Nguyen BD, Wang EA. Indium-111 pentetreotide scintigraphy of mesenchymal tumor with oncogenic osteomalacia.Clin Nucl Med 1999; 24: 130–131. CrossRef
- Yaghmai I. Angiographic manifestation of soft-tissue and osseous hemangiopericytomas.Radiology 1978; 126: 653–659.
- Levin DC, Gordon DH, McSweeney J. Arteriography of peripheral hemangiomas.Radiology 1976; 121: 625–630.
- Prando A, deSantos LA, Wallace S, Murray JA. Angiography in giant-cell bone tumors.Radiology 1979; 130: 323–331.
- Ozcan Z, Burak Z, Erinc R, Dirlik A, Basdemir G, Sabah D, et al. Correlation of99mTc-sestamibi uptake with blood-pool and osseous phase99mTc-MDP uptake in malignant bone and soft-tissue tumors.Nucl Med Commun 2001; 22: 679–683. CrossRef
- Usefulness of201Tl and99mTc MIBI scintigraphy in a case of oncogenic osteomalacia
Annals of Nuclear Medicine
Volume 18, Issue 1 , pp 63-67
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- oncogenic osteomalacia
- 201T1 scintigraphy
- 99mTc MIBI scintigraphy
- Industry Sectors