Controlling downy mildew (Plasmopara viticola) in field-grown grapevine with β-aminobutyric acid (BABA)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Two foliar sprays of BABA (DL-3-amino-n-butanoic acid, DL-β-aminobutyric acid), or a mixture of BABA and different fungicides at reduced rates, effectively controlled (>90%) downy mildew, caused byPlasmopara viticola, in the foliage of field-grown grapevines. In five field trials BABA sprays resulted in a significant reduction of infectious leaf area and fungal sporulation, and of necrosis of oilspots. The level of disease control for BABA in four trials was similar to that achieved by metalaxyl-Cu or ‘Acrobat Plus’ (dimethomorph + mancozeb). Two-way tank-mixtures of BABA + fosetyl-AI, BABA + folpet, or BABA + Bion (benzothiadiazole), each at half the recommended rate, provided an additive effect againstP. viticola, performing as well as the full rate of each fungicide alone. BABA was not phytotoxic and did not affect pH, total titratable acids, or °Brix of the juice, as determined by commercial fungicidal standards. The results indicate that foliar applications of BABA can efficiently be integrated into a downy mildew control program in vineyards.
- Cohen, Y. (1994) Local and systemic control ofPhytophthora infestans in tomato plants by DL-3-amino-n-butanoic acids.Phytopathology 84:55–59. CrossRef
- Cohen. Y. (1994) 3-Aminobutyric acid induces systemic resistance againstPeronospora tabacina.Physiol. Mol. Plant Pathol. 44:273–288. CrossRef
- Cohen, Y. (1996) Induced resistance against fungal diseases by aminobutyric acids.in: Lyr, H., Russell, P.E. and Sisler, H.D. [Eds.] Modern Fungicides and Antifungal Compounds. Intercept, Andover, UK. pp. 461–466.
- Cohen, Y. and Coffey, M.D. (1986) Systemic fungicides and the control of Oomycetes.Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 24:311–338. CrossRef
- Cohen, Y. and Gisi, U. (1994) Systemic translocation of14C-DL-3-aminobutyric acid in tomato plants in relation to induced resistance againstPhytophthora infestans.Physiol. Moi. Plain Pathol. 45:441–456. CrossRef
- Cohen, Y, Niderman, T., Mosinger, E. and Fluhr, R. (1994) β-Aminobutyric acid induces the accumulation of pathogenesis-related proteins in tomato(Lycopersicon escutentum L.) and resistance to late blight infection caused byPhytophthora infeslans.Plant Physiol. 104:59–66.
- Cohen, Y, Keuveni, M. and Baider, A. (1999) Local and systemic activity of BABA (DL-3-aminobutyric acid) againstPlasmopara viticola in grapevines.Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 105:351–361. CrossRef
- Dekker, J. (1987) Build-up and persistence of fungicide resistance.in: Brent, E.J. and Atkin, E.K. [Eds.] Rational Pesticide Use. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. pp. 153–168
- Gisi, U. (1996) Synergistic interaction of fungicides in mixtures.Phytopathology 86:1273–1279.
- Kosman, E. and Cohen, Y. (1996) Procedures for calculating and differentiating synergism and antagonism in action of fungicide mixtures.Phytopathology 86:1255–1264. CrossRef
- Leroux, P. and Clerjeau, M. (1985) Resistance ofBotrytis cinerea andPlasmopara viticola to fungicides in the French vineyards.Crop Prot. 4:137–160. CrossRef
- Li, J., Zingen-Sell, I. and Buchenauer, H. (1996) Induction of resistance of cotton plants to Verticillium wilt and of tomato plants to Fusarium wilt by 3-aminobutyric acid and methyl jasmonate.Z PflanzenKr. PflamzenSchutz. 103:288–299.
- Oka, Y, Cohen, Y. and Spiegel, Y. (1999) Local and systemic induced resistance to the root-knot nematode in tomato by DL-β-amino-n-butyric acid.Phytopathology 89:1138–1143. CrossRef
- Papavizas, F.G. (1964) Greenhouse control of Aphanomyces root rot of peas with aminobutyric acid and methylaspartic acid.Plant Dis. Rep. 48:537–541.
- Pearson, R.C. and Goheen, A.C. [Eds.] (1988) Compedium of Grape Diseases. APS Press, St. Paul, MN, USA.
- Reuveni, M. (1997) Post-infection applications of K3PO3, phosphorous acid and dimethomorph inhibit development of downy mildew caused byPlasmopara viticola on grapevines.J. Small Fruit & Vitic. 5:27–38. CrossRef
- Staub, T. (1991) Fungicide resistance: Practical experience with antiresistance strategies and the role of integrated use.Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 29:421–442. CrossRef
- Sunwoo, J.Y., Lee, Y.K. and Hwang, B.K. (1996) Induced resistance againstPhytophthora capsici in pepper plants in response to DL-β-amino-n-butyric acid.Eur. J. Plant Pathol. 102:663–670. CrossRef
- Wicks, T.J., Magarey, P.A., Wachtel, M.F. and Frensham, A.B. (1991) Effect of post-infection application of phosphorous (phosphonic) acid on the incidence and sporulation ofPlasmopara viticola on grapevine.Plant Dis. 75:40–43.
- Controlling downy mildew (Plasmopara viticola) in field-grown grapevine with β-aminobutyric acid (BABA)
Volume 29, Issue 2 , pp 125-133
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Induced resistance
- integrated disease control
- systemic fungicides
- Vitis vinifera
- Industry Sectors