Atypical Presentations of Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) usually presents in a fulminant fashion with marked hematologic abnormalities often associated with fever and neurologic and renal abnormalities. Two cases of TTP are reported in which neurologic deficits were initially the dominant findings, followed weeks later by the pronounced hematologic manifestations. Young patients with unexplained neurologic findings, even if there is only minimal anemia or thrombocytopenia, should be monitored for subsequent manifestations of TTP so that treatment may be instituted promptly. Int J Hematol. 2002;76:471-473.
- Ridolfi RL, Bell WR. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: report of 25 cases and review of the literature.Medicine (Baltimore). 1981;60:413–428. CrossRef
- Bell WR. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.JAMA. 1991;265: 91–93. CrossRef
- Rose M, Eldor A. High incidences of relapses in thrombotic throm- bocytopenic purpura: a clinical study of 38 patients.Am J Med. 1987;83:437–444. CrossRef
- Bell WR, Braine HG, Ness PM, Kickler TS. Improved survival in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: a clinical experience in 108 patients.N Engl J Med. 1991; 325:398–403.
- Rock GA, Shumak KH, Buskard NA, et al. Comparison of plasma exchange with plasma infusion in the treatment of throm- botic thrombocytopenic purpura. Canadian Apheresis Study Group.N Engl J Med. 1991;325:393–397.
- Bennett CL, Weinberg PD, Rozenberg-Ben-Drok K, Yarnold PR, Kwaan HC, Green D. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with ticlopidine: a review of 60 cases.Ann Intern Med. 1998; 128:541–544.
- Kay AC, Solberg LA, Nichols DA, Petitt RM. Prognostic significance of computed tomography of the brain in thrombotic throm- bocytopenic purpura.Mayo Clinic Proc. 1991;66:602–607.
- Trent K, Neustater BR, Lottenberg R. Chronic relapsing throm- botic thrombocytopenic purpura and antiphospholipid antibodies: a report of two cases.Am J Hematol. 1997;54:155–159. CrossRef
- Joseph R, Tsering C, Grunfeld S, Welch KMA. Platelet secretory products may contribute to neuronal injury.Stroke. 1991;22: 1448–1451.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Weekly clini- copathological exercises. Case 33-1994. A 41-year-old woman with thrombocytopenia, anemia, and sudden death.N Engl J Med. 1994; 331:661–667. CrossRef
- Furlan M, Robles R, Galbusera M, et al. von Willebrand factor- cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and the hemolytic uremic syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1998;339: 1578–1584. CrossRef
- Tsai HM, Lian EC. Antibodies to von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1589–1594. CrossRef
- Atypical Presentations of Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 76, Issue 5 , pp 471-473
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Neurologic deficits
- Industry Sectors