Late Response to Cyclosporine in Refractory Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Plasma exchange (PEX) with fresh frozen plasma, usually in association with steroid therapy, has been shown to be the firstline treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. It works by removing ultralarge von Willebrand factor (vWF) multimers and inhibitory antibody and by supplying normal protease. For patients with disease refractory to PEX, there is no standardized treatment. Limited and sporadic success with different therapies (vincristine sulfate, prostacyclin, intravenous immunoglobulins, splenectomy) has been described. We report the case of a woman who developed refractory disease after an initial response to PEX and despite a very high number of PEX procedures performed. Low activity (<5%) of serum vWF-cleaving protease and a low level of protease inhibitor were documented. The patient had a slow but sustained response when oral cyclosporine was administered concomitantly with PEX, which was slowly tapered. The activity of serum vWF-cleaving protease normalized. At relapse, treatment with cyclosporine, added after the failure of steroids and PEX, led to a lasting response. It is possible that in some cases cyclosporine therapy must be of particularly long duration before being considered ineffective.Int J Hematol. 2002;76:284-286.
- Furlan M, Robles R, Galbusera M, et al. von Willebrand factor cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and hemolytic-uremic syndrome.N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1578–1584. CrossRef
- Tsai HM, Lian EC. Antibodies to von Willebrand factor cleaving protease in acute thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.N Engl J Med. 1998;339:1585–1594. CrossRef
- van Ojik H, Biesma DH, Fijnheer R, et al. Cyclosporine for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura after autologous bone marrow transplantation.Br J Haematol. 1997;96:641–643. CrossRef
- Kierdorf H, Maurin N, Heintz B. Cyclosporine for thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Ann Intern Med. 1993;118:987–988.
- Bachman TC. Refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura treated with cyclosporine.Am J Hematol. 1996;51:93–94. CrossRef
- Hand JP, Lawloe ER,Yong CKK, Davis JK. Successful use of cyclosporine A in the treatment of refractory thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Br J Haematol. 1998;100:597–599. CrossRef
- Gable PS, Smith WS, Millard FE. Cyclosporine in relapsed thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.Blood. 1993;82:604a.
- Pasquale D, Vidhya R, DaSilva K, Tsam MF, Lansing L, Chikkappa G. Chronic relapsing thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura: role of therapy with cyclosporine.Am J Med. 1998;57: 57–61.
- Kalhs P, Brugger S, Schwarzinger I, et al. Microangiopathy following allogeneic marrow transplantation: association with cyclosporine and methylprednisolone for graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis.Transplantation. 1995;60:949–957. CrossRef
- Paquette RL, Tran L, Landaw EM. Thrombotic microangiopathy following allogeneic bone marrow transplantation is associated with intensive graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis.Bone Marrow Transplant. 1998;22:351–357. CrossRef
- Pettitt AR, Clarck RE. Thrombotic microangiopathy following bone marrow transplantation.Bone Marrow Transplant. 1994;14: 495–504.
- Dzik WK, Georgi BA, Khettry U, Jenkins RL. Cyclosporine-associated thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura following liver transplantation: successful treatment with plasma exchange.Transplantation. 1987;44:570–572. CrossRef
- Remuzzi G, Bertani T. Renal vascular and thrombotic effects of cyclosporine.Am J Kidney Dis. 1989;13:261–272.
- Bobbio-Pallavicini E, Centurioni R, Gugliotta L, et al. Vincristine sulfate for the treatment of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura refractory to plasma exchange.Eur J Haematol. 1994;52:222–226. CrossRef
- Porta C, Caporali R, Montecucco C. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and autoimmunity: a tale of shadows and suspects.Haematologica. 1999;84:260–269.
- Late Response to Cyclosporine in Refractory Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura
International Journal of Hematology
Volume 76, Issue 3 , pp 284-286
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Oncology and Hematology, Niguarda Ca’ Granda Hospital, Piazza Ospedale Maggiore 3-20162, Milano, Italy
- 2. Transfusion Medicine, Niguarda Ca’ Granda Hospital, Milan, Italy