Exploration for anti-insect properties of lectin from seeds of soybean (Glycine max) usingBactrocera cucurbitae as a model
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Lectin fromGlycine max L. was extracted and purified by affinity chromatography using asialofetuin-linked porous amino-activated silica beads. The concentration-dependent effect of lectin was studied on freshly laid eggs (0–8 h old) of the melon flyBactrocera cucurbitae (Coquillett); lectin failed to influence egg hatching. However, treating second instar larvae (64–72 h old) with increasing concentrations of lectin significantly reduced the development period, number of pupae and number of emergingB. cucurbitae, and was negatively correlated with the increase in the lectin concentration. The LC50 value, 54µg ml−1, was calculated on the basis of adult emergence. Treatment of the larvae (64–72 h old) with the LC50 concentration resulted in a decrease in pupal weight. The activity of three hydrolase enzymes (esterases, acid and alkaline phosphatases), one oxidoreductase (catalase) and one group transfer enzyme (glutathione S-transferase) was assayed in second instar larvae at the LC50 concentration of lectin after exposure for 24, 48 and 72 h. The activity of esterases increased significantly (P<0.01) at the three exposure intervals, whereas the activities of the three other hydrolyses and the transferases were significantly suppressed (P<0.01).
- Bandyopadhyay, S., Roy, A. and Das, S. (2001) Binding of garlic (Allium sativum) leaf lectin to the gut receptors of homopteran pests is correlated to its insecticidal activity.Plant Sci. 161:1025–1033. CrossRef
- Bergmeyer, H.U. (1974) Methods of Enzyme Analysis. Vol. 1. Academic Press, New York, NY.
- Boulter, D., Croy, R.R.D., Ellis, R.J., Evans, I.M., Gatehouse, A.M.R., Gatehouse, J.A.et al. (1986) Isolation of genes involved in pest and disease resistance.in: Magnien, E. [Ed.] Report of the EEC Biomolecular Engineering Programme. Martinus Nijhoff/Junk, the Hague, the Netherlands. pp. 715–725.
- Chien, C. and Dauterman, W.C. (1991) Studies on glutathione S-transferase inHelicoverpa (=Heliothis)zea.J. Insect Biochem. 21:857–864. CrossRef
- Czapla, T.H. and Lang, B.A. (1990) Effect of plant lectins on the larval development of European corn borer (Lepidoptera: Pyralidae) and southern corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae).J. Econ. Entomol. 83:2480–2485.
- Devorshak, C. and Roe, R.M. (1999) The role of esterase in insecticide resistance.Rev. Toxicol. 2:501–537.
- Eisemann, C.H., Donaldson, R.A., Pearson, R.D., Cadogan, L.C., Vuocolo, T. and Tellam, R.L. (1994) Larvicidal activity of lectins onLucilia cuprina: Mechanism of action.Entomol. Exp. Appl. 72:1–10. CrossRef
- Enayati, A.A., Ranson, H. and Hemingway, J. (2005) Insect glutathione transferase and insecticide resistance.Insect Mol. Biol. 14:3. CrossRef
- Fasina, Y.O., Garlich, J.D., Classen, H.L., Ferket, P.R., Havenstein, G.B., Grimes, J.L.et al. (2004) Response of turkey poults to soybean lectin levels typically encountered in commercial diets.Poult Sci. 83:1559–1571.
- Gatehouse, A.M.R., Down, R.E., Powell, K.S., Sauvion, N., Rahbe, Y., Newell, C.A.et al. (1996) Transgenic potato plants with resistance to the peach-potato aphidMyzus persicae.Entomol. Exp. Appl. 79:295–307. CrossRef
- Goldstein, I.J. and Poretz, R.D. (1986) Isolation, physiochemical characterization and carbohydrate-binding specificity of lectins.in: Liener, I.E., Sharon, N. and Goldstein, I.J. [Eds.] The Lectins: Properties, Functions and Applications in Biology and Medicine. Academic Press, New York, NY. pp. 33–247.
- Gupta, J.N., Verma, A.N. and Kashyap, R.K. (1978) An improved method for mass rearing of melon fruit flyDacus cucurbitae (Coquillett).Indian J. Entomol. 40:470–471.
- Harper, S.M., Hopkins, T.L. and Czapla, T.H. (1998) Effect of wheat germ agglutinin on formation and structure of the peritrophic membrane in European corn borer (Ostrinia nubilalis) larvae.Tissue Cell 30:166–176. CrossRef
- Janzen, D.H., Justice, B. and Liener, I.E. (1976) Insecticidal action of the phytohemagglutinin in black beans on a bruchid beetle.Science 192:795–796. CrossRef
- Katzenellenbogen, B.S. and Kafatos, F.C. (1971) General esterases of silkmoth moulting fluid: Preliminary characterization.J. Insect Physiol. 17:1139–1151 CrossRef
- Kaur, N., Singh, J. and Kamboj, S.S. (2002) Affinity purification and characterization of a seed lectin fromCrotalaria medicaginea.Indian J. Biochem. Biophys. 39:49–54.
- Laemmli, U.K. (1970) Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4.Nature 277:680–685. CrossRef
- Law, I.J. and Kfir, R. (1997) Effect of mannose-binding lectin from peanut and pea on the stem borerChilo partellus.Entomol. Exp. Appl. 82:261–265. CrossRef
- Li, Z., Li, D. and Qiao, S. (2003) Effects of soybean agglutinin on nitrogen metabolism and on characteristics of intestinal tissues and pancreas in rats.Arch. Tierernaehr. 57:369–380.
- Lis, H. and Sharon, N. (1986) Biological properties of lectins.in: Liener, I.E., Sharon, N. and Goldstein, I.J. [Eds.] The Lectins: Properties, Functions and Applications in Biology and Medicine. Academic Press Inc., New York, NY. p. 152.
- Lowry, O.H., Rosebrough, N.J., Farr, A.R. and Randall, R.J. (1951) Protein measurements with folin-phenol reagent.J. Biol. Chem. 193:265–275.
- Machuka, J., Okeola, O.G., Chrispeels, M.J. and Jackai, L.E.N. (2000) The African yam bean seed lectin affects the development of the cowpea weevil but does not affect the development of larvae of the legume pod borer.Phytochemistry 53:667–674. CrossRef
- Machuka, J., Van Damme, E.J.M., Peumans, W.J. and Jackai, L.E.N. (1999) Effect of plant lectins on larval development of the legume pod borer,Maruca vitrata.Entomol. Exp. Appl. 93:179–187. CrossRef
- McIntyre, R.J. (1971) A method for measuring activities of acid phosphatases separated by acrylamide gel electrophoresis.Biochem. Genet. 5:45–50. CrossRef
- Melander, M., Åhman, I., Kamnert, I. and Strömdahl, A.C. (2003) Pea lectin expressed transgenically in oilseed rape reduces growth rate of pollen beetle larvae.Transgenic Res. 12:555–567. CrossRef
- Mukanganyama, S., Figueroa, C.C., Hasler, J.A. and Niemeyer, H.M. (2003) Effects of DIMBOA on detoxification enzymes of the aphidRhopalosiphum padi (Homoptera: Aphididae).J. Insect Physiol. 49:223–229. CrossRef
- Murdock, L.L. and Shade, R.E. (2002) Lectins and protease inhibitors as plant defenses against insects.J. Agric. Food Chem. 50:6605–6611. CrossRef
- Powell, K.S., Gatehouse, A.M.R., Hilder, V.A., Van Damme, E.J.M., Peumans, W.J., Boonjawat, J.et al. (1995) Different antimetabolic effects of related lectins towards nymphal stages ofNilaparvata lugens.Entomol. Exp. Appl. 75:61–65. CrossRef
- Reisfeld, R.A., Lewis, O.J. and William, D.E. (1962) Disc electrophoresis of basic proteins and peptides on polyacrylamide gels.Nature 1451:281–283. CrossRef
- Rup, P.J. and Kaur, R. (1993) Influence of some plant growth regulators on the hydrolytic enzymes of banana fly,Zaprionus paravittiger (Godbole and Vaidya) (Diptera: Drosophilidae).Pest Manag. Econ. Zool. 1:96–99.
- Shangary, S., Singh J., Kamboj, S.S., Kamboj, K.K. and Sandhu, R.S. (1995) Purification and properties of four monocot lectins from the family Araceae.Phytochemistry 40:449–455. CrossRef
- Shukle, R.H. and Murdock, L.L. (1983) Lipoxygenase, trypsin inhibitor, and lectin from soybeans: Effects on larval growth ofManduca sexta (Lepidoptera: Sphingidae).Environ. Entomol. 12:787–791.
- Srivastava, B.G. (1975) A chemically defined diet forDacus cucurbitae (Coquillett) larvae under aseptic conditions.Entomol. News Lett. 5:24.
- Yu, S.J. and Abo-Elghar, G.E. (2000) Allelochemicals as inhibitors of glutathione S-transferase in the fall armyworm.Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 68:173–183. CrossRef
- Exploration for anti-insect properties of lectin from seeds of soybean (Glycine max) usingBactrocera cucurbitae as a model
Volume 34, Issue 5 , pp 463-473
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Bactrocera cucurbitae
- melon fly
- Glycine max
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Dept. of Zoology, Insect Physiology Laboratory, Guru Nanak Dev University, 143005, Amritsar, India
- 2. Dept. of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Protein Laboratory, Guru Nanak Dev University, 143005, Amritsar, India