Population studies of the citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae: Factors influencing population size
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
An attempt was made to correlate population fluctuations of an isolated population of the citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Del Guercio) (Hemiptera: Triozidae), with both the availability of young developing leaves and the saturation deficit index. Citrus psylla population dynamics seems to be governed by more than these two factors. There were significant positive correlations among egg, nymph and adult numbers. Increases in the minimum temperature and minimum relative humidity were followed by increases in the numbers of adults, eggs and nymphs. Seedlings of four citrus cultivars which seem to be less attractive to adult psylla than the other cultivars were identified.
- Anon. (1985) SAS Procedure Guide for Personal Computers, Version 6 Edition. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- Aubert, B., Garnier, M., Cassin, J.C. and Bertin, Y. (1988) Citrus greening disease survey in East and West African countries south of Sahara.Proc. 10th Conf. Int. Organization of Citrus Virologists (Valencia, Spain, 1986), pp. 231–237.
- Bové, J.M. (1986) Greening in the Arabian Peninsula: Towards new techniques for its detection and control.F.A.O. Plant Prot. Bull. 34:7–14.
- Bové, J.M. and Garnier, M. (1984) Citrus greening and psylla vectors of the disease in 193 the Arabian Peninsula.Proc. 9th Conf. Int. Organization of Citrus Virologists (Univ. of California, Riverside, CA, 1983), pp. 109–114.
- Catling, H.D. (1969) The bionomics of the South African citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Del Guercio) (Homoptera: Psyllidae) 1. The influence of the flushing rhythm of citrus and factors which regulate flushing.J. Entomol. Soc. South. Afr. 32:191–208.
- Catling, H.D. (1969) The bionomics of the South African citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Del Guercio) (Homoptera: Psyllidae) 2. The influence of parasites and notes on the species involved.J. Entomol. Soc. South. Afr. 32:209–223.
- Catling, H.D. (1970) The bionomics of the South African citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Del Guercio) (Homoptera: Psyllidae) 4. The influence of predators.J. Entomol. Soc. South. Afr. 33:341–348.
- Catling, H.D. (1972) Factors regulating populations of psyllid vectors of greening.Proc. 5th Conf. Int. Organization of Citrus Virologists (Tokyo, Japan, 1969), pp. 51–57.
- Catling, H.D. and Annecke, D.P. (1968) Ecology of citrus psylla in the Letaba district of Northern Transvaal.S. Afr. Citrus J. 410:8–11, 14, 15, 17.
- Del Guercio, G. (1918) Note ed osservazioni di entomologia agraria. II cecidio delle foglie del limone ed il suo cecidozoo in Eritrea.Estr. Agric. Colon. 12:167–169.
- Green, G.C. and Catling, H.D. (1971) Weather-induced mortality of the citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Del Guercio) (Homoptera: Psyllidae), a vector of greening virus, in some citrus producing areas of Southern Africa.Agric. Meteorol. 8:305–317. CrossRef
- Lounsbury, C.P. (1897) Psyllidae or jumping plant lice,in: Report of the Government Entomologist for the year 1896, Cape of Good Hope, S. Afr. Unpublished report, pp. 115–118.
- Mamet, J.R. (1955) A revised food-plant catalogue of the insects of Mauritius. Bulletin No. 90, Dep. Agric, Mauritius, 95 pp. [Rev. Appl. Entomol. (1956) 44A:252.]
- McClean, A.P.D. and Oberholzer, P.C.J. (1965) Citrus psylla, a vector of the greening disease of sweet orange.S. Afr. J. Agric. Sci. 8:297–298.
- Moreira, S. (1967) Enquete sur les maladies des agrumes, îles Maurice et de la Réunion.F.A.O. Plant Prot. Bull. 15:54–60.
- Samways, M.J. (1987) Weather and monitoring the abundance of the adult citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Del Guercio) (Horn., Triozidae).Z. Angew. Entomol. 103:502–508. CrossRef
- Samways, M.J. and Manicom, B.Q. (1983) Immigration, frequency distributions and dispersion patterns of the psyllidTrioza erytreae (Del Guercio) in a citrus orchard.J. Appl. Ecol. 20:463–472. CrossRef
- Tret’yakov, N.N. (1984) [The distribution of the apple weevil and the apple sucker in orchards.]Zashch. Rast. 9:42–43 (in Russian).
- Van Ark, H. (1981) Simple Biometrical Techniques and Experimental Designs with Special Reference to Entomological Research.S. Afr. Dep. Agric. Fish. Sci. Bull. 396.
- Van den Berg, M.A. and Deacon, V.E. (1989) Flight activities of the citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Hemiptera: Triozidae).Phylophylactica 21:391–395.
- Van den Berg, M.A., Deacon, V.E., Fourie, C.J. and Anderson, S.H. (1987) Predators of the citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Hemiptera: Triozidae), in the Lowveld and Rustenburg areas of Transvaal.Phytophylactica 19:285–289.
- Van den Berg, M.A., Deacon, V.E. and Steenekamp, P.J. (1991) Dispersal within and between citrus orchards and native hosts, and nymphal mortality of citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae (Hemiptera: Triozidae).Agric. Ecosysl. & Environ. 35:297–309. CrossRef
- Wallace, C.R. (1960) Report on an Investigation of Agricultural Pests in St. Helena, 1957–59. Colonial Office, London. [Rev. Appl. Entomol. (1961) 49A:7.]
- Population studies of the citrus psylla,Trioza erytreae: Factors influencing population size
Volume 19, Issue 3 , pp 183-193
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Citrus psylla
- population size
- population studies
- Trioza erytreae
- Industry Sectors