Morphological Basis of Resistance in Cotton to the WhiteflyBemisia Tabaci
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The morphological basis of resistance to the whiteflyBemisia tabaci Genn. (Aleyrodidae: Hemiptera) was studied. The plant characters examined were leaf area, thickness of leaf lamina, hair density, hair length, angle of insertion of leaf hair, and density of gossypol glands. Hair density and leaf thickness were positively correlated with the population ofB. tabaci, and a positive correlation was obtained between the adult whitefly population and gossypol glands on stem internodes. Cotton genotype USA-22 (sparsely hairy) was found to be more tolerant toB. tabaci than was genotype USA-13 (velvety hairy). The use of thinner and glabrous leaved cotton varieties is suggested to minimize the whitefly menace in cotton.
- Ahmed, A. H. M., Elhag, E. A. and Bashir, N. H. H. (1987) Insecticide resistance in the cotton whitefly(Bemisia tabaci Genn.) in the Sudan Gezira.Trop. Pest Mgmt 33:67–72, 103, 107.
- Anon. (1987) Package of Practices forKharif crops of Punjab. Directorate of Extension Education, Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India.
- Baloch, A. A., Soomro, B. A. and Mallah, G. H. (1982) Evaluation of some cotton varieties with known genetic markers for their resistance/tolerance against sucking and bollworm complex.Türk. Bitki Kor. Derg. 6:3–14. [Cited inRev. appl. Era. 70:27 (1982)]
- Batra, G. R. and Gupta, D. S. (1970) Screening of varieties of cotton for resistance to jassid.Emp. Cott. Grow. Rev. 47:285–291.
- Bindra, O. S. (1985) Relation of cotton cultivars to the cotton pest problem in the Sudan Gezira.Euphytica 34:849–856. CrossRef
- Butler, G. D. Jr. and Henneberry, T. J. (1984) Effect of cotton(Gossypium hirsutum) leaf pubescence on abundance.Southwest. Ent. 9:91–94. [Cited inBiol. Abstr. 78:34268 (1984)]
- Butler, G. D. Jr., Henneberry, T. J. and Wilson, F. D. (1986)Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae) on cotton: adult activity and cultivar oviposition preference.J. econ. Ent. 79:350–354.
- Costa, A. S., Costa, C. L. and Sauer, H. F. G. (1973) Surto de musca branca em cultures do arana Parana and Sao Paulo.Anais Soc. ent. Brasil 2:20–30.
- Dittrich, V., Hassan, S. O. and Ernst, G. H. (1985) Sudanese cotton and the whitefly: a case study of emergence of a new primary pest.Crop Prot. 4:161–176. CrossRef
- Draper, N. R. and Smith, H. (1981) Applied Regression Analysis. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY.
- Evans, D. E. (1965) Jassid population on three hairy varieties of Sakel cotton.Emp. Cott. Grow. Rev. 42:211–217.
- Hasain, M. A. and Trehan, K. N. (1933) Observations on the life history, bionomics and control of the whitefly of cottonBemisia gossypiperda M & L).Indian J. agric. Sci. 3:701–753.
- Johnson, M. W., Toscano, N. C., Reynolds, H. T., Sylvester, E. S., Kido, K. and Natwick, E. T. (1982) Whiteflies cause problem for Southern California growers.Calif. Agric. 36 (9/10):24–26.
- Khalifa, H. and Gameel, O. I. (1982) Control of cotton stickiness through breeding cultivars resistant to whitefly (Bemisia tabaci Genn.) infestation.in: Improvement of Oilseed and Industrial Crops by Induced Mutations. Proc. of an Advisory Group Meeting (Vienna, 17–21 Nov. 1980), organized by the joint FAO/IAEA Div. of Isotope and Radiation Application of Atomic Energy for Food and Agriculture Development. IAEA, Vienna, pp. 181–186.
- Khalifa, H. and Gameel, O. I. (1983) Breeding cotton cultivars resistant to whitefly,Bemisia tabaci Genn. in: Lamberti, F., Waller, J. M. and Graaf, N. A. Vander [Eds.] Durable Resistance in Crops. Plenum Press, New York, NY. pp. 231–236.
- Misra, C. S. and Lamba, K. S. (1929) The cotton whiteflyBemisia gossypiperda n. sp.Bull, agric. Res. Pusa 196:7.
- Mound, L. A. (1965) Effect of leaf hair on cotton whitefly populations in the Sudan Gezira.Emp. Cott. Grow. Rev. 42:33–40.
- Niles, G. A. (1980) Breeding cotton for resistance to insect pests. in: Maxwell, F. G. and Jennings, P. R. [Eds.] Breeding Plants Resistant to Insects. Wiley Interscience Publ., New York, NY.
- Ohnesorge, B. and Rapp, G. (1986) Methods for estimating the density of whitefly nymphs(Bemisia tabaci Genn.) in cotton.Trop. Pest Mgmt 32:207–211, 256, 258.
- Omran, H. H. and El-Khidir, E. (1978) On the preference ofBemisia tabaci Genn. (Homoptera:Aleyrodidae) on various cotton cultivars in Cukurova, Turkey.Agric. Ecosyst. Envir. 17:83–88.
- Ozgur, F. and Sekeroglu, E. (1984)Bemisia Newsletter. No. 1. ed. by Gerling, D. and Ohnesorge, B.
- Pollard, D. G. and Saunders, J. H. (1956) Relations of some cotton pests to jassid resistant Sakel.Emp. Cott. Grow. Rev. 33:197–202.
- Prabhaker, N. E., Caudriet, D. L. and Meyerdirk, D. E. (1985) Insecticide resistance in the sweet potato whitefly,Bemisia tabaci (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae).J. econ. Ent. 78:748–752.
- Sengonça, C. (1975) Report on the epidemic occurrence of the tobacco whitefly,Bemisia tabaci Genn. on cotton plants in South Anatolia (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae).Am. Schädlingskd. PflSchutz Umweltschutz 48:140–142. CrossRef
- Severin, H. H. P. (1931) Modes of curly-top transmission by the beet leafhopper,Eutettix tenellus (Baker).Hilgardia 6:253–276.
- Sippell, D. W., Bindra, O. S. and Khalifa, H. (1987) Resistance to whitefly(Bemisia tabaci) in cotton(Gossypium hirsutum) in the Sudan.Crop Prot. 6:171–178. CrossRef
- Sohi, G. S. (1964) Pests of cotton. in: Entomology in India. Publication of Entomological Society of India, New Delhi.
- Steel, R. G. D. and Torrie, J. H. (1980) Principles and Procedures of Statistics: A Biometrical Approach. McGraw-Hill Book Co., New York, NY.
- Sukhija, H. S., Butter, N. S. and Singh, J. (1986) Determination of the economic threshold of whitefly,Bemisia tabaci Genn. on American cotton in the Punjab.Crop Pest Mgmt 32:134–136. CrossRef
- Wangboonkong, S. (1981) Chemical control of cotton insect pests in Thailand.Thai Pest Mgmt 27:495–500.
- Wilson, P. D. and George, B. W. (1986) Smoothleaf and hirsute cottons: response to insect pests and yield in Arizona.J. econ. Ent. 79:229–232.
- Morphological Basis of Resistance in Cotton to the WhiteflyBemisia Tabaci
Volume 17, Issue 4 , pp 251-261
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Gossypium spp.
- Bemisia tabaci, resistance to
- morphological basis of resistance
- leaf area
- thickness of leaf lamina
- hair density
- hair length
- angle of insertion of leaf hair
- density of gossypol glands
- cotton genotypes
- Industry Sectors