Automatic pesticide application in greenhouses
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Three automatic pesticide application systems are presented: an automatic thermal vaporimeter; a cold fogger (low volume mist applicator or mechanical aerosol generator); and an automatic air-assisted sprayer for controlled droplet application (CDA). The automatic thermal vaporimeter is thermally regulated to prevent spontaneous ignition of the evaporated pesticide, and is equipped with an automatic quantity-control system. One vaporimeter is capable of treating an area of 0.4 ha when an air circulation system is operated. The efficacy of some commercially available cold foggers for pest control was evaluated in various crops (rose, gerbera, gypsophila, tomato) and under different application conditions in plastic houses in Israel. Uniform spray distribution and good penetration into the foliage, with a high ratio of the deposits on upper: lower leaf surfaces and lower: upper parts of the plants, were obtained when assisted by indoor air movement (e.g. by horizontal air blowers). There was a high correlation between the deposition patterns produced by cold foggers and their biological efficacy against pests and disease agents. The third system—the automatic CDA air-assisted sprayer—was designed with the purpose to benefit from the advantages of the knapsack mist blower, at the same time avoiding operator mistakes. It consists of an air-assisted sprayer, self-propelled along a monorail, which revolves on its axis during its forward movement, applying drops in the 100 μm volume median diameter size range and leaving an even deposit within a 14–18-m-wide swath. The advantages of automatic pesticide application systems are: no exposure of the operator to toxic materials; increased efficiency and effectiveness; optimal timing; and reduced error by the operator. Reduced pesticide dosages make them of increasing importance in modern agriculture.
- Austerweil, M., Ben-David, T., Steiner, B., Riven, Y., Zilberg, V., Amir, R. and Grinstein, A. (1996) Control of powdery mildew by mechanical aerosol generators (‘cold foggers’).Phytopamsitica 24:151–152 (abstr.).
- Austerweil, M., Zvieli, E., Grinstein, A., Ben-David, T., Gotlieb, Y., Steiner, B. and Riven, Y. (1994) Improved pest management in greenhouses by mechanical aerosol generators (‘cold foggers’).Phytoparasitica 22:162 (abstr.).
- Austerweil, M, Zvieli, E., Steiner, B., Shmueli, S. and Dubitzki, E. (1992) A low-volume mist applicator for greenhouses: quantitative evaluation of the deposit.Phytoparasitica 20:247 (abstr.).
- Brouwer, D.H., De Vreede, J.A.F., Ravensberg, J.C., Engel, R. and Van Hemmen, J.J. (1992) Dissipation of aerosols from greenhouse air after application of pesticides using a low-volume technique. Implications for safe re-entry.Chemosphere 24:1157–1169. CrossRef
- Frankel, H. (1981) Automatic thermal vaporizer for example for vaporizing of pesticides. Israel Patent Application No. 52536.
- Frankel, H., Gan-Mor, S. and Grinstein, A. (1983) Automatic sprayer for hothouse application. Israel Patent Application No. 69853.
- Lindquist, R.K., Adams, A.J., Hall, A.J. and Adams, I.H.H. (1990) Laboratory and greenhouse evaluation of Margosan-O against bifenthrin resistant and susceptible greenhouse whiteflies,Trialeurodes vaporariorum (Homoptera: Aleyrodidae).Proc. U.S. Dep. Agric. Neem Workshop —Neem’s Potential in Pest Management Programs. ARS-86:91–99.
- Lindquist, R.K., Powell, C.C. and Hall, F.R. (1993) Glasshouse treatment.in: Matthews, G.A. and Hislop, E.C. [Eds.] Application Technology for Crop Protection. CAB International, Wallingford, Oxon, UK. pp. 275–290.
- Matthews, G.A. (1992) Pesticide Application Methods. 2nd ed. Longman, London, UK.
- Moriya, S. and Tsuga, K. (1988) Low volume spraying for pest control in the horticulture under covers.Jpn. Pestic. Inf. 52:22–26.
- Pimentel, D. and Levitan, L. (1986) Pesticides: amounts applied and amounts reaching pests.BioScience 36:86–91. CrossRef
- Automatic pesticide application in greenhouses
Volume 25, Issue 1 Supplement, pp S71-S80
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Pesticide application
- automatic sprayer
- cold fogger
- operator safety
- Industry Sectors