Resistance to fusarium basal rot of onion in greenhouse and field and associated expression of antifungal compounds
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Greenhouse and field evaluations of onion for resistance to Fusarium basal rot caused byFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae were conducted on cultivars ‘Akgün 12’ and ‘Rossa Savonese’ previously described as resistant at the seedling stage. In the greenhouse experiments inoculations were carried out on seeds or soil; in the field experiments evaluation was performed on onion sets from plants grown in naturally infested soils. Akgün 12 and to a lesser extent Rossa Savonese were resistant to the disease at the bulb stage in all experiments. Results were also consistent with those obtained from a previous screening at the seedling stage. Onion sets were also extracted and fractionated by thin layer chromatography to determine their content of antifungal compounds. Extracts were characterized by the expression of distinct antifungal components, which may be involved in resistance to the pathogen.
- Abawi, G.S. and Lorbeer, J.W. (1971) Reaction of selected onion varieties to infection byFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae.Plant Dis. Rep. 55:1000–1004.
- Cammue, B.P.A., Thevissen, K., Hendriks, M., Eggermont, K., Goderis, I.J., Proost, P.et al. (1995) A potent antimicrobial protein from onion seeds showing sequence homology to plant lipid transfer proteins.Plant Physiol. 109:445–455. CrossRef
- Cramer, C.S. (2000) Breeding and genetics of Fusarium basal rot resistance in onion.Euphytica 115:159–166. CrossRef
- Everts, K.L., Schwartz, H.F., Epsky, N.D. and Capinera, J.L. (1985) Effects of maggots and wounding on occurrence of Fusarium basal rot of onions in Colorado.Plant Dis. 69:878–882. CrossRef
- Fantino, M.G. and Schiavi, M. (1987) Onion breeding for tolerance toFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae in Italy.Phytopathol. Mediterr. 26:108–112.
- Favaron, F., Castiglioni, C. and Di Lenna, P. (1993) Inhibition of some rot fungi polygalacturonases byAllium cepa L. andAllium porrum L. extracts.J. Phytopathol. 139:201–206. CrossRef
- Ganeshan, G., Pathak, C.S. and Veere Gowda, B. (1998) Reaction of onion lines to basal rot disease caused byFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae.PKV Res. J. 22:53–54.
- Köycü, N.D. and Özer, N. (1997) Determination of seedborne fungi in onion and their transmission to onion sets.Phytoparasitica 25:25–31.
- Krueger, S.K., Weinman, A.A. and Gabelman, W.H. (1989) Combining ability among inbred onions for resistance to Fusarium basal rot.HortScience 24:1021–1023.
- Lacy, M.L. and Roberts, D.L. (1982) Yields of onion cultivars in Midwestern organic soils infested withFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae andPyrenochaeta terrestris.Plant Dis. 66:1003–1006.
- Link, K.P. and Walker, J.C. (1933) The isolation of catechol from pigmented onion scales and its significance in relation to disease resistance in onions.J. Biol. Chem. 100:379–383.
- Özer, N. (1998) Reaction of some onion cultivars toAspergillus niger V. Tiegh. andFusarium oxysporum Schlecht.J. Turk. Phytopathol. 27:17–26.
- Özer, N., Chilosi, G. and Magro, P. (1999) Differential accumulation of antifungal compounds during the onion seed germination and upon infection ofAspergillus niger V. Tieghem.J. Plant Pathol. 81:201–205.
- Özer, N. and Köycü, N.D. (1997) The pathogenicity ofAspergillus niger and someFusarium species on onion seeds and seedlings.Proc. 10 th Congr. Mediterranean Phytopathological Union (Montpellier-Le Corum, France), pp. 277–281.
- Özer, N., Köycü, D., Chilosi, G., Pizzuolo, P.H., Coşkuntuna, A. and Magro, P. (2003) Pectolytic isoenzymes byFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae and antifungal compounds in onion cultivars as a response to pathogen infection.Can. J. Plant Pathol. 25:249–257.
- Retig, N., Kust, A.F. and Gabelman, W.H. (1970) Greenhouse and field tests for determining the resistance of onion lines to Fusarium basal rot.J. Am. Soc. Hortic. Sci. 95:422–424.
- Stadnik, M.J. and Dhingra, O.D. (1996) Response of onion genotypes ofFusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae during the growth phase and in store.Fitopatol. Bras. 21:431–435.
- Sutton, D.C. and Deverall, B.J. (1984) Phytoalexin accumulation during infection of bean and soybean by ascospores and mycelium ofSclerotinia sclerotiorum.Plant Pathol. 33:377–383. CrossRef
- Thornton, M.K. and Mohan, S.K. (1996) Response to sweet Spanish onion cultivars and numbered hybrids to basal rot and pink root.Plant Dis. 80:660–663.
- Villevieille, M. (1996) Mise au point d’un test de selection pourFusarium oxysporum Schlect. emend. Snyder & Hansen f.sp.cepae.Acta Bot. Gall. 143:109–115 (French, with English abstr.).
- Resistance to fusarium basal rot of onion in greenhouse and field and associated expression of antifungal compounds
Volume 32, Issue 4 , pp 388-394
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Allium cepa L.
- antifungal compounds
- Fusarium oxysporum f.sp.cepae
- greenhouse tests
- field experiments
- Industry Sectors