Evaluation of thein vivo antithrombotic, anticoagulant and fibrinolytic activities ofLumbricus rubellus earthworm powder
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A saline suspension ofLumbricus rubellus earthworm powder (EWP) was administered to rats (1 g/kg/day) orally for 15 days to evaluate an oral effectiveness for thrombotic disorders. Blood was drawn at 2-day interval after the administration. Several parameters for antithrombotic, anticoagulant and fibrinolytic activities were measured, including platelet aggregation, clotting time, plasmin activity and the levels of FDP (fibrin/fibrinogen degradation products), D-dimer, and t-PA antigen. It did not affect platelet aggregation induced by ADP and collagen but anticoagulant activity (aPTT and TT) was gradually increased to two-folds for the first 5 days of administration and back to normal. Fibrinolytic acitivity of euglobulin fraction was highest on the 11th day after the administration. The level of FDP was elevated to be comparable to the positve control (5–10 μg/ml) after 9-day treatment. Oral administration of the EWP could also reduce the formation of venous thrombus induced with viper venom. Complete blood count (CBC) profiles were within normal ranges except for a slight increase in white blood cells after the oral administration for 15 days. These results suggested that the EWP may be valuable for the prevention and/or treatment of thrombotic diseases.
- Arruzazabala, M. L., Carbajal, D., Mas, R., Garcia, M. and Fraga, V., Effects of policosanol on platelet aggregation in rats.Thromb. Res. 69, 321–327 (1993) CrossRef
- Astrup, T. and Mullertz, S., The fibrin plate method for estimating of fibrinolytic activity.Arch. Biochem. Biophys., 40, 346–352 (1952) CrossRef
- Diminno, G. and Silver, M. J., Mouse antithrombotic assay: A simple method for the evaluation of antithrombotic agentsin vivo. Potentiation of antithrombotic activity by ethyl alcohol.J. Pharmcol. Exp. Therap. 225, 57–60 (1983)
- Fareed, J., Walenga, J. M. and Kumar, A., A modified statis thrombosis model to study the antithrombotic actions of heparin and its fractions.Sem. Thrombos. Hemost. 11, 155–175 (1985). CrossRef
- Hladovec, J. The effect of ultra-low-dose heparin in experimental venous thrombosis.Thromb. Res. 36, 83–85 (1984) CrossRef
- Hong, S. Y., Yang, D. H., Oh, D. Y. and Park, S. Y., Lumbrikinase effect on physiologic fibrinolytic effect.Kor. J. Int. Med. 40, 77–83 (1991)
- Kim, J. K. and Xio, P. G., Traditional drugs of the East Asia. Younglim Co. Seoul, pp. 415, 1995
- Mihara, H., Sumi, H., Yoneta, T., Mizumoto, H., Ikeda, R., Seiki, M. and Maruyama, M., A novel fibrinolytic enzymes extracted from the earthworm,Lumbricus rubellus.Jap. J. Physiol. 461, 461–472 (1991). CrossRef
- Mihara, H., Sumi, H., Akazawa, K., Yoneta, T., and Mizumoto, H., Fibrinolytic enzyme extracted from earthworm.Thromb. Haemost. 50, 139–143 (1993).
- Mihara, H., Marujama, M. and Sumi, H., Novel thrombolytic therapy discovered from traditional oriental medicine using the earthworm.Southeast Asian J. Trop. Med. Public Helath 23(Suppl), 531–40 (1992).
- Nakajima, N., Ishihara, K., Sugimoto, M., Sumi, H., Mikuni, K. and Hamada, H., Chemical modification of earthworm fibrinolytic enzyme with human serum albumin fragment and characterization of the protease as a therapeutic enzyme.Biosci. Biotech. Biochem. 60, 293–300 (1996)
- Park, S., Kye, K. C., Lee, H. B., Kim, J. S. and Lee, M., Antithrombotic effect of intraveneous administration of lumbrikinase. An earthworm fibrinolytic enzyme on thrombin-induced thromboembolism in mice.Thromb. Haemost. 65, 1195 (1991).
- Prous, J. R., The Year's Drug News Prous Science, Barcelona, pp. 192–282, 1995.
- Sasaki, K., Moriyama, S., Tanaka, Y., Sumi, H., Toki, N., and Robbins, K. The transport of125I-labeled human high molecular weight urokinase across thr tract in a dog model with stimulation of synthesis and/or release of plasminogen activators.Blood, 66, 69–75 (1985).
- Sato, N., Takahashi, H., and Akira, S., Fibrinogen/fibrin degradation products and D-dimer in clinical practice.Ame. J. Hematol. 48, 168–174 (1995). CrossRef
- Sumi, H., Toki, N., Sasaki, K., and Toki N., Oral administration of urokinase.Thromb. Res. 20, 711–714 (1980). CrossRef
- Sumi, H., Hamada, H., Nakanishi, K., and Hiratani, H., Enhancement of the fibrinolytic activity in plasma by oral administration of nattokinase.Acta Haematol. 84, 139–143 (1990).
- Evaluation of thein vivo antithrombotic, anticoagulant and fibrinolytic activities ofLumbricus rubellus earthworm powder
Archives of Pharmacal Research
Volume 20, Issue 1 , pp 17-23
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Pharmaceutical Society of Korea
- Additional Links
- Lumbricus rubellus earthworm powder
- Antiplatelet activity
- Anticoagualant Activity
- Fibrinolytic activity
- Oral administration
- Industry Sectors