Medical history: Seishu hanaoka and his success in breast cancer surgery under general anesthesia two hundred years ago
- Masaru Izuo
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In 1804, Seishu Hanaoka performed the first successful surgical treatment of breast cancer under general anesthesia in the world. It preceeded by 38 years C W Long’s trial of ether anesthesia in 1842. In this paper, Hanaoka’s biography and his contributions to surgery and anesthesiology in those days, and also his advanced ideas about medicine and sanitation are presented.
Hanaoka had made many efforts to develop the optimal prescriptionof the anesthetic“Tsusensan (or Mafutsu-To)”for almost 20 years. Finally, he succeeded in using it clinically for breast cancer surgery, on October 13,1804.
Hanaoka performed operations for breast cancer in a total of 156 cases, and also for many other kinds of surgical procedures. He also eagerly contrived and modified many surgical instruments. In spite of such a busy daily schedule, he eagerly trained and educated many students, using his own philosophy for medical management. Details of his background and some discussion from a present-day viewpoints are included.
- Izuo M: Seishu Hanaoka and his achievements.Jpn J Breast Cancer 9:433–440, 593–602, 1994.Ibid 10:145- 149, 1995 (in Japanese).
- Kure S: Seishu Hanaoka and His Surgery, beoriginal ed., Tohodo, Tokyo, 1923 (in Japanese).
- Kure S: Seishu Hanaoka and His Surgery, reprinted ed., Shibunkaku Publ., Kyoto, 1971 (in Japanese).
- Soda H: Several points on Seishu Hanaoka’s Tsusensan; Supplements. In Kure’s Seishu Hanaoka and His Surgery. Shibunkaku Publ. Kyoto, pp29–34, 1971 (in Japanese).
- Hanaoka S:“Nyugan-Chiken-Roku (Treatment of Breast Cancer with Case Records)”. —.
- Hanaoka S:“Nyugan-Seimei-Roku (A Name List of Breast Cancer Patients)”, —.
- Achiba G: Acceptance of Lorenz Heister (1683-1758).I Modern Medicine 10:115–118, 1974 (in Japanese).
- Heister L: Heikundige Onderwyzingen (Surgery). 1741 (in Dutch, the original text in German, 1718). —
- Sugita G:“Yoka-Taisei (General Survey of Surgery)”, 1768. —
- Matsuki A: Seishu Hanaoka and the date of the first operation under general anesthesia.Masui (Anesthesia) 21:300–301, 1972 (in Japanese).
- Matsuki A: Seishu Hanaoka, a Japanese pioneer in anesthesia.Anesthesiology 32:446–450, 1970. CrossRef
- Matsuki A: Seishu Hanaoka in modern anesthesiology -Battles with pain. Nikkei Medical 120–123, June, 1993 (in Japanese).
- Nakagawa S:“Mayaku-Ko (Some Considerations on Narcotic Drugs)”, 1796. —
- Takeuchi M: Excavation study of“Shunrinken”.Wakayama Culture and Nature Magazine 17:12–15, 1996 (in Japanese).
- Medical history: Seishu hanaoka and his success in breast cancer surgery under general anesthesia two hundred years ago
Volume 11, Issue 4 , pp 319-324
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Medical history
- Seishu Hanaoka
- Breast Cancer
- Industry Sectors
- Masaru Izuo (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Former President of The Japanese Breast Cancer Society Professor Emeritus, Gunma University, Japan
- 2. Breast and Endocrine Surgery, Shorakudo Hospital, Japan