Severe infusion reaction induced by trastuzumab: A case report
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We report a case of a severe infusion reaction caused by trastuzumab. A 59-year-old woman with metastatic breast cancer was treated with trastuzumab. During the first infusion, initial symptoms such as severe headache and general fatigue developed. Blood pressure fell 90 minutes after these initial symptoms. A collapsed lung was demonstrated by chest X-ray and computed tomography. Steroid therapy was successfully used for these reactions. Careful monitoring of vital signs, examination of the respiratory system, and the use of steroids are recommended for severe infusion reaction.
- Slamon DJ, Leyland-Jones B, Shak S, Fuchs H, Paton V, Bajamonde A, Fleming T, Eiermann W, Wolter J, Pegram M, Baselga J, Norton L: Use of chemotherapy plus a monoclonal antibody against HER2 for metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses HER2.N Engl J Med 344: 783–792, 2001. CrossRef
- Herceptin (Trastuzumab). Product Information. 1998.
- Dillman RO: Infusion reactions associated with the therapeutic use of monoclonal antibodies in the treatment of malignancy.Cancer Metastasis Rev 18: 465–471, 1999. CrossRef
- Dillman RO, Beauregard JC, Halpern SE, Clutter M: Toxicities and side effects associated with intravenous infusions of murine monoclonal antibodies.J Biol Response Mod 5: 73–84, 1986.
- Dillman RO, Beauregard JC, Jamieson M, Amox D, Halpern SE: Toxicities associated with monoclonal antibody infusions in cancer patients.Mol Biother 1: 81–85, 1988.
- Baumann H, Gauldie J: The acute phase response.Immunol Today 15: 74–80, 1994. CrossRef
- Munck A, Naray-Fejes-Toth A: Glucocorticoids and stress: permissive and suppressive actions.Ann N Y Acad Sci 746: 115–130, 1994. CrossRef
- Breuninger LM, Dempsey WL, Uhl J, Murasko DM: Hydrocortisone regulation of interleukin-6 protein production by a purified population of human peripheral blood monocytes.Clin Immunol Immunopathol 69: 205–214, 1993. CrossRef
- Levine SJ, Larivee P, Logun C, Angus CW, Shelhamer JH: Corticosteroids differentially regulate secretion of IL-6,IL-8, and G-CSF by a human bronchial epithelial cell line.Am J Physiol 265: 360–368, 1993.
- Knudsen PJ, Dinarello CA, Strom TB: Glucocorticoids inhibit transcriptional and post-transcriptional expression of interleukin 1 in U937 cells.J Immunol 139: 4129–4134, 1987.
- Jensen M, Winker U, Manzke O, Diehl V, Engert A: Rapid tumor lysis in a patient with B-cell chronic lym-phocytic leukemia and lymphocytosis treated with an anti-CD20 monoclonal antibody (IDEC-C2B8, rituximab).Ann Hematol 77: 89–91, 1998. CrossRef
- Severe infusion reaction induced by trastuzumab: A case report
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 167-169
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medical Oncology, Japan
- 2. Department of Breast Surgery, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japan