Comparative efficacy of positron emission tomography and ultrasonography in preoperative evaluation of axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In primary breast cancer, axillary nodal status is the most powerful predictive factor of recurrence. However, axillary lymph node dissection may cause surgical complications. If preoperative evaluation of axillary lymph node metastases is possible, unnecessary axillary lymph node dissections can be avoided. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of positron emission tomography (PET) on detection of axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer.
PET scans of the axilla were obtained in 32 patients with primary breast cancer. All patients fasted for at least 4 hours before the examination. After transmission scans for attenuation correction were performed, emission scans after intravenous injection of 2-[18F]-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose (FDG) were obtained.
Overall accuracy of PET alone, ultrasonography alone, and in combination in the detection of axillary metastases were 82%, 79%, and 85% respectively.
There were no significant differences between PET, ultrasonography, and PET in combination with ultrasonography regarding sensitivity, specificity and accuracy in the detection of axillary metastases.
- Fisher B, Bauer M, Wickerham L,et al: Relation of number of positive axillary nodes to the prognosis of patients with primary breast cancer; An NSABP update.Cancer 52:1551–1557, 1983. CrossRef
- Pezner RD, Pattterson MP, Hill LR: Arm edema in patients treated conservatively for breast cancer; Relationship to patient’s age and axillary node dissection technique.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 12:2079–2083, 1986.
- Assa J: The intercostobrachial nerve in radical mastectomy.J Surg Oncol 6:123–126, 1974. CrossRef
- Warburg O: On the origin of cancer cells.Science 123:309–314, 1956. CrossRef
- Kubota R, Kubota K, Yamada S,et al: Microautoradiographic study for the differentiation of intratumoral macrophages, granulation tissues and cancer cells by the dynamics of fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose uptake.J Nucl Med 35:104–112, 1994.
- Di Chiro G: Positron emission tomography using (18F) fluorodeoxy-glucose in brain tumors; A powerful diagnostic and prognostic tool.Invest Radiol 22:360–371, 1987. CrossRef
- Rege S, Maass A, Chaiken L,et al: Use of positron emission tomography with fluorodeoxyglucose in patients with extracranial head and neck cancers.Cancer 73:3047–3058, 1994. CrossRef
- Laubenbacher C, Saumweber D, Wagener-Manslau C,et al: Comparison of fluorine-18-fluorodeoxy-glucose PET, MRI and endoscopy for staging of head and neck squamous-cell carcinomas.J Nucl Med 36:1747–1757, 1995.
- Wahl RL, Quint LE, Greenough RL,et al: Staging of mediastinal non-small cell lung cancer with FDG PET, CT, and fusion images; Preliminary prospective evaluation.Radiology 191:371–377, 1994.
- Lewis P, Griffin S, Marsden P,et al: Whole-body 18F- fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in preoperative evaluation of lung cancer.Lancet 344:1265–1266, 1994. CrossRef
- Bares R, Klever P, Hauptmann S,et al: F-18 fluorodeoxyglucose PET in vivo evaluation of pancreatic cancer.Radiology 192:79–86, 1994.
- Okada J, Yoshikawa K, Itami M,et al: Positron emission tomography using fluorine-18-fluorodeoxy-glucose in malignant lymphoma; A comparison with proliferative activity.J Nucl Med 33:325–329, 1992.
- Griffeth LK, Dehdashti F, McGuire AH,et al: PET evaluation of soft-tissue masses with fluorine-18 fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose.Radiology 182:185–194, 1992.
- Adler LP, Blair HF, Makley JT,et al: Noninvasive grading of musculoskeletal tumors using PET.J Nucl Med 32:1508–1512, 1991.
- Wahl RL, Cody RL, Hutchins GD,et al: Primary and metastatic breast carcinoma; Initial clinical evaluation with PET with the radiolabeled glucose analog 2- [18F]-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glucose.Radiology 179:765–770, 1991.
- Adler LP, Crowe JP, Al-Kaisi NK,et al: Evaluation of breast masses and axillary lymph nodes with [F-18]- 2-deoxy-2-fluoro-D-glucose PET.Radiology 187:743–750, 1993.
- Bombardieri E, Crippa F, Maffioli L,et al: Axillary lymph node metastases detection with nuclear medicine approaches in patients with newly diagnosed breast cancer; Can positron emission tomography (PET) with18F-FDG be considered as the best method?Int J Oncol 8:693–699, 1996.
- Holle LH, Trampert L, Lung-Kurt S,et al: Investigations of breast tumors with fluorine-18-fluorodeoxy- glucose and SPECT.J Nucl Med 15:61–66, 1996.
- Kubota K, Matsuzawa T, Amemiya T,et al: Imaging of breast cancer with [18F]fluorodeoxyglucose and positron emission tomography.J Comput Assist Tomogr 13:1097–1098, 1989.
- Tse NY, Hoh CK, Hawkins RAet al: The application of positron emission tomographic imaging with fluorodeoxyglucose to the evaluation of breast disease.Ann Surg 216:23–33, 1992. CrossRef
- Wahl RL, Helvie MA, Chang AE,et al: Detection of breast cancer in women after augmentation mammoplasty using fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose-PET.J Nucl Med 35:872–875, 1994.
- Pietrzyk U, Scheidhauer K, Scharl A,et al: Presurgical visualization of primary breast carcinoma with PET emission and transmission imaging.J Nucl Med 36:1882–1884, 1995.
- Scheidhauser K, Scharl A, Pietrzyk U,et al: Qualitative [18F]FDG positron emission tomography in primary breast cancer; Clinical relevance and practicability.Eur J Nucl Med 23:618–623, 1996. CrossRef
- Wahl RL, Zasadny K, Helvie M,et al: Metabolic monitoring of breast cancer chemotherapy using positron emission tomography; Initial evaluation.J Clin Oncol 11:2101–2111, 1993.
- Bassa P, Kim EE, Inoue T,et al: Evaluation of preoperative chemotherapy using PET with fluorine-18-fluorodeoxyglucose in breast cancer.J Nucl Med 37:931–938, 1996.
- Greco M, Agresti R, Raselli R,et al: Axillary dissection can be avoided in selected breast cancer patients; Analysis of 401 cases.Anticancer Res 16:3913–3918, 1996.
- Crippa F, Agresti R, Seregni E,et al: Prospective evaluation of fluorine-18-FDG PET in presurgical staging of axilla in breast cancer.J Nucl Med 39:4–8, 1998.
- Utech CI, Young CS, Winter PF,et al: Prospective evaluation of fluorine-18 fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography in breast cancer for staging of the axilla related to surgery and immunocytochem- istry.Eur J Nucl Med 23:1588–1593, 1996. CrossRef
- Avril N, Dose J, Janicke F,et al: Assessment of axillary lymph node involvement in breast cancer patients with positron emission tomography using radiolabeled 2-(Fluorine-18)-fluoro-2-deoxy-D-glu- cose.J Natl Cancer Inst 88:1204–1209, 1996. CrossRef
- Pamilo M, Soiva M, Lavast EM,et al: Realtime ultrasound, axillary mammography, and clinical examination in the detection of axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer patients.J Ultrasound Med 8:115–120, 1989
- Bruneton JN, Caramella E, Aubanel D,et al: Axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer; Preoperative detection with US.Radiology 158:325–326, 1986
- Mustonen P, Farin P, Kosunen O: Ultrasonographic detection of metastatic axillary lymph nodes in breast cancer.Ann Chir Gynecol 79:15–18, 1990.
- Tate JJT, Lewis V, Archer T,et al: Ultrasound detection of axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer.Eur J Surg Oncol 15:139–141, 1989.
- Smith IC, Ogston KN, Whitford P,et al: Staging of the axilla in breast cancer; Accurate in vivo assessment using positron emission tomography with 2-(fluorine-18)-fluoro-2-D-glucose.Ann Surg 2:220–227, 1998. CrossRef
- Comparative efficacy of positron emission tomography and ultrasonography in preoperative evaluation of axillary lymph node metastases in breast cancer
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 99-103
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Axillary lymph node metastases
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Surgery, Tokai University School of Medicine, Japan
- 3. Himedic Imaging Center at Lake Yamanakako, Japan