Measuring quality of life in patients with breast cancer: a systematic review of reliable and valid instruments available in japan
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Little is known about the availability and psychometric properties of instruments to measure quality of life (QOL) in clinical research on Japanese patients with breast cancer. The purpose of this systematic review is to find reliable and valid instruments available in Japan, and to summarize their characteristics.
Instruments available in Japan were found through a systematic search of the literature. Each instrument identified was evaluated for item development, reliability, validity, interpretability and utility.
Six questionnaires to measure health-related QOL (the QOL-ACD, the EORTC QLQ-C30, the EORTC QLQ-BR23, the FACT-B, the SF-36, the WHO/QOL-26) and five scales to quantify the psychological burden (the STAI, the POMS, the SDS, the HADS, the GHQ), for which reliability and validity have been documented, are available in Japanese. All instruments were developed in foreign countries except for the QOL-ACD. Two of the QOL questionnaires were specific to breast cancer (the EORTC QLQ-BR23, the FACT-B). Though the measurements can be interpreted in some manner, the meaning of change scores over time has been documented for only three instruments (the EORTC QLQ-C30, the FACT-B, and the GHQ).
The review provides grounds for designing and implementing quantitative research on QOL of breast cancer patients in Japan. Methodological challenges, however, continue, particularly for validating instruments with regard to various study populations of Japanese people and demonstrating the clinical importance of change scores.
- Weston WW, Brown JB: Overview of the patient-centered clinical method. In: Stewart M, Brown JB, Weston WW eds, Patient-Centered Medicine: Transforming the Clinical Method, Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, pp 21–30, 1995.
- Wright JG: Evaluating the outcome of treatment: Shouldn’t we be asking patients if they are better?J Clin Epidemiol 53: 549–553, 2000. CrossRef
- Feinstein AR: Clinimetric perspectives.J Chron Dis 40: 635–640, 1987. CrossRef
- Ganz PA, Coscarelli A, Fred C, Kahn B, Polinsky ML, Petersen L: Breast cancer survivors: Psychological concerns and quality of life.Breast Cancer Res Treat 38: 183–199, 1996. CrossRef
- Slevin ML: Quality of life: philosophical question or clinical reality?BMJ 305: 466–469, 1992.
- Guyatt GH, Feeny DH, Patrick DL: Measuring healthrelated quality of life.Ann Int Med 118: 622–629, 1993.
- Wood-Dauphinee S, Wood-Dauphinee S: Assessing quality of life in clinical research: From where have we come and where are we going?J Clin Epidemiol 52: 355–363, 1999. CrossRef
- Gill TM, Feinstein AR: A critical appraisal of the quality of quality-of-life measurements.JAMA 272: 619–626, 1994. CrossRef
- Leplege A, Hunt S: The problem of quality of life in medicine.JAMA 278: 47–50, 1997. CrossRef
- Ganz PA: Quality of life and the patient with cancer.Cancer 74: 1445–1452, 1994. CrossRef
- Rothman KJ, Greenland S: Causation and causal inference. In: Rothman KJ, Greenland S eds, Modern Epidemiology, 2nd ed, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, pp 7–28, 1998.
- Feinstein AR: Clinical Epidemiology. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, 1985.
- Sackett DL, Haynes RB, Guyatt GH, Tugwell P: Clinical Epidemiology: A Basic Science for Clinical Medicine, 2nd ed, Little, Brown and Co., Boston, 1991.
- Guyatt GH, Naylor CD, Juniper E, Heyland DK, Jaeschke R, Cook DJ: Users’ guides to the medical literature: XII. How to use articles about health-related quality of life.JAMA 277: 1232–1237, 1997. CrossRef
- Streiner DL, Norman GR: Health Measurement Scales: A Practical Guide to Their Development and Use, 2nd ed, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1995.
- van Knippenberg FCE, de Haes JCJM: Measuring the quality of life of cancer patients: Psychometric properties of instruments.J Clin Epidemiol 41: 1043–1053, 1988.
- World Health Organization Working Group: The WHO quality of life assessment instrument. In: Orley J, Kuyken W eds, Quality of Life Assessment in Health Care Settings, Springer-Verlag, Heidelberg, 1994.
- Shimozuma K, Okamoto T, Katsumata N, Koike M, Tanaka K, Osumi S, Saito M, Shikama N, Watanabe T, Mitsumori N, Yamauchi C, Hisashige A: Systematic overview of quality of life studies for breast cancer.Breast Cancer 9: 196–202, 2002.
- Streiner DL: A checklist for evaluating the usefulness of rating scales.Can J Psychiatry 38: 140–148, 1993.
- Shimozuma K, Tominaga T, Hayashi K, Kosaki G: Evaluation of quality of life in breast cancer patients.J Jpn Soc Cancer Ther 26: 1504–1510, 1991 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Shimozuma K, Sonoo H, Ichihara K: Medical economics and quality of life: Analysis of factors that influence the perception of medical cost by post-surgical breast cancer patients.Breast Cancer 2: 143–153, 1995. CrossRef
- Shimozuma K, Sonoo H, Ichihara K: Analysis of factors that improve quality of life of patients with advanced or recurrent breast cancer.Jpn J Cancer Chemother 22: 1095–1102, 1995 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Shimozuma K, Sonoo H, Aoyama T, Ichihara K: A comparison study of the two questionnaire measures in the assessment of quality-of-life of patients with breast cancer.Proceeding of The Society For Survival Time Studies on Cancer Patients 16: 20–26, 1996 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Shimozuma K, Sonoo H, Tanaka K, Yoshikawa K: Prognostic value of quality-of-life scores for breast cancer.Proceeding of The Society For Survival Time Studies on Cancer Patients 17: 22–28, 1997 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Shimozuma K, Sonoo H, Tanaka K, Ichihara K: Analysis of factors that improve quality of life of patients with advanced or recurrent breast cancer.Jpn J Breast Cancer 12: 58–67, 1997 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Shimozuma K, Katsumata N, Ohashi Y, Makino H, Takashima S, Sonoo H, Watanabe T: Psychometric properties of EORTC QLQ-C30 and QOL-ACD in NSAS-BC trial.Jpn J Breast Cancer 14: 548–549, 1999 (in Japanese).
- Shimozuma K, Sonoo H, Ichihara K, Tanaka K: The prognostic value of quality-of-life scores: Preliminary results of an analysis of patients with breast cancer.Surg Today 30: 255–261, 2000. CrossRef
- Amano S, Hata S, Mori K, Saito Y, Shibata M, Takizawa H, Miyake H, Kurosu Y, Yokoyma H: Evaluation of quality of life during neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer.Jpn J Breast Cancer 12: 43–49, 1997 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Higaki K, Okamura S, Toyota M, Tanaka K: A study of comparison of the quality of life of modified radical mastectomy with breast conserving surgery.The Journal of the Hiroshima Medical Association 50: 679–685, 1997 (in Japanese).
- Umegaki H, Minami C, Katou H, Kawasaki T, Fukunaga T, Shimizu A: Perioperative psychological status of patients undergoing radical mastectomy and total hysterectomy.Masui 42: 523–528, 1993 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Koshimura R, Matsuki M, Otani E: The relationship between ego status and anxiety level, social support for mastectomy patients.Nursing Journal of Okasa Univ 1: 25–30, 1995 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Nukariya K: A longitudinal prospective study of psychology in breast cancer.Tokyo Jikeikai Medical Journal 111: 165–182, 1996 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Iida Y, Kakinuma K, Ide S: Chronological changes in intensity and contents of anxiety in patients with breast cancer.The Collection of Papers 29th The Japan Society of Nursing — Adult Nursing II, pp 58–60, 1998 (in Japanese).
- Futawatari T: Quality of life after breast cancer surgery.Bull Inst Public Health 43: 333–335, 1994 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Yokoe T, Lino Y, Takei H, Horiguchi A, Maemura M, Futawatari T, Morishita Y: Quality of life of patients with breast cancer detected by mass screening.J Jpn Assoc Breast Cancer Screen 5: 249–254, 1996 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Saeki H, Osumi S, Saeki T, Takashima S, Eguchi K: Chronological changes of the quality of life of breast cancer patients with breast conservation and / or adjuvant chemotherapy.Proceeding of The Society For Survival Time Studies on Cancer Patients 18: 28–34, 1998 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Higaki K, Okamura S, Morita K, Yoshitaka T, Ohsaki S, Matsuura K, Taki M, Tokunaga N, Hamai Y, Tateishi A, Tagashira H, Onoda T, Shiozaki S, Ohno S, Ninomiya M, Ikeda T, Kobayashi N, Asakura H, Kagemoto M: Evaluation of informed consent based on QOL questionnaire survey when patients decided between mastectomy and breast-conservation.The Journal of the Hiroshima Medical Association 52: 908–915, 1999 (in Japanese).
- Koyama H, Inaji H: Clinical evaluation of Azasetron hydrochloride (single-injection) in controlling chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting in outpatient chemotherapy.Jpn Pharmacol Ther 23: 729–733, 1995 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Kato C, Ito Y, Takahashi S, Nakano Y, Ohsawa H, Ishizuka H, Uno S, Irie T, Mihara H, Aiba K, Horikoshi N: Assessment of quality of life for breast cancer patients receiving CAF in outpatient setting: Patients self-estimation of satisfaction and analysis of their factors.Jpn J Breast Cancer 12: 50–57, 1997 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Iha S, Sonoo H, Shimozuma K, Miyauchi A, Konishi Y, Kohno N, Arita S, Senoo T: BCT and mastectomy: A comparison of their effects on the quality of life of breast cancer patients.Jpn J Breast Cancer 12: 13–22, 1997 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Sprangers MAG, Groenvold M, Arraras JI, Franklin J, de Velde A, Muller M, Franzini L, Williams A, de Haes HC, Hopwood P, Cull A, Aaronson NK: The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer Breast Cancer — Specific quality-of-life questionnaire module: First results from a three-country field study.J Clin Oncol 14: 2756–2768, 1996.
- Brady MJ, Cella DF, Mo F, Bonomi AE, Tulsky DS, Lloyd SR, Deasy S, Cobleigh M, Shiomoto G: Reliability and validity of the functional assessment of cancer therapy-breast quality-of-life instrument.J Clin Oncol 15: 974–986, 1997.
- Fukuhara S, Bito S, Green J, Hsiao A, Kurokawa K: Translation, adaptation, and validation of the SF-36 health survey for use in Japan.J Clin Epidemiol 51: 1037–1044, 1998.
- Fukuhara S, Ware JE, Koshinski M, Wada S, Gandek B: Psychometric and clinical tests of validity of the Japanese SF-36 health survey.J Clin Epidemiol 51: 1045–1053, 1998.
- World Health Organization. WHO/QOL-26 Manual. Tazaki M, Nakane A, eds. Kaneko Shobo, Tokyo, 1997 (in Japanese).
- Zigmond AS, Snaith RP, Kitamura T: Hospital anxiety and depression scale (HAD Scale).Seishinka Shindangaku 4: 371–372, 1993 (in Japanese).
- Nakagawa Y, Daibo I: The Japanese Version of the General Health Questionnaire: User’s Manual. Nihon Bunka Kagakusha, Tokyo, 1985 (in Japanese).
- Kurihara M, Shimizu H, Tsuboi K, Kobayashi K, Murakami M, Eguchi K, Shimozuma K: Development of quality of life questionnaire in Japan: Quality of life assessment of cancer patients receiving chemotherapy.Psycho-Oncology 8: 355–363, 1999. CrossRef
- Cella DF, Tulsky DS, Gray G, Sarafian B, Linn E, Bonomi A, Silberman M, Yellen SB, Winicour P, Brannon J, Eckberg K, Lloyd S, Purl S, Blendowski C, Goodman M, Barnicle M, Stewart I, McHale M, Bonomi P, Kaplan E, Taylor IV S, Thomas CR Jr, Harris J: The functional assessment of cancer therapy scale: Development and validation of the general measure.J Clin Oncol 11: 570–579, 1993.
- Ware JE, Jr: SF-36 Health Survey: Manual & Interpretation Guide. The Health Institute, Boston, 1993.
- Zung WWK: A self-rating depression scale.Arch Gen Psychiatry 12: 63–70, 1965.
- Goldberg DP: The Detection of Psychiatric Illness by Questionnaire: A Technique for the Identification and Assessment of Non-psychotic Psychiatric Illness. Maudsley Monograph No. 21, Oxford University Press, London, 1972.
- Goldberg DP, Williams P: A User’s Guide to the General Health Questionnaire: GHQ, National Foundation for Education Research — Nelson Publishing, Berkshore, 1988.
- User’s Manual for Self-rating Depression Scale. Sankyobo, 1983 (in Japanese).
- Aaronson NK, Ahmedzai S, Bergman B, Bullinger M, Cull A, Duez NJ, Filiberi A, Fletcher H, Fleishman SB, de Haes JCJM, Kaasa S, Klee M, Osoba D, Razavi D, Rofe PB, Schraub S, Sneeuw K, Sullivan M, Takeda F: The European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30: A quality-of -life instrument for use in international clinical trials in oncology.J Natl Cancer Inst 85: 365–376, 1993. CrossRef
- Kobayashi K, Takeda F, Teramukai S, Gotoh I, Sakai H, Yoneda S, Noguchi Y, Ogasawara H, Yoshida K: A cross-validation of the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer QLQ-C30 (EORTC QLQ-C30) for Japanese with lung cancer.Eur J Cancer 34: 810–815, 1998. CrossRef
- Yokoyama K, Araki S: User’s Manual for Japanese Version of Profile of Mood States, Kaneko Shobo, 1994 (in Japanese).
- Hidano N, Fukuhara M, Iwawaki M, Soga S, Spielberger C: User’s Manual for Revised Version of the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory, Jitsumu Kyoiku Shuppan, 1994 (in Japanese).
- Higashi A, Yashiro H, Keisuke K, Kiyota K, Inokuchi H, Hatta H, Fujita K, Watanabe Y, Kawai K: Validation of the hospital anxiety and depression scale in a gastro-intestinal clinic.Jpn J Gastroenterology 93: 884–892, 1996 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- Hatta H, Higashi A, Yashiro H, Ozasa K, Hayashi K, Kiyota K, Inokuchi H, Ikeda J, Fujita K, Watanabe Y, Kawai K: Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale: Reliability and validity study on the Japanese version with a study population of female subjects.Jpn J Psychosomatic Medicine (Tokyo) 38: 309–315, 1998 (in Japanese).
- Tazaki M, Nakane Y: QOL of cancer patients.Shinshin Iryo 7: 1166–1171, 1995 (in Japanese).
- Yokoyama K, Araki S, Kawakami N: Production of the Japanese edition of Profile of Mood States (POMS): Assessment of reliability and validity.Jpn J Public Health 37: 913–918, 1990.
- Takeuchi M, Kitamura T: The factor structure of the General Health Questionnaire in a Japanese high school and university student sample.The International J Social Psychiatry 37: 99–106, 1991. CrossRef
- Ormel J, Koeter MWJ, van den Brink W: Measuring change with the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ). The problem of retest effects.Soc Psychiatry Psychiatrr Epidemiol 24: 227–232, 1989. CrossRef
- McDowell I, Newell C: General Health Status and Quality of Life. In McDowell I, Newell C eds, Measuring Health: A Guide to Rating Scales and Questionnaires, 2nd ed, New York, Oxford University Press, pp 380–383, 1996.
- Lara-Muñoz C, Feinstein AR: How should quality of life be measured?J Investig Med 47: 17–24, 1999.
- Feinstein AR: Clinical judgment revisited: The distraction of quantitative models.Ann Int Med 120: 799–805, 1994.
- Measuring quality of life in patients with breast cancer: a systematic review of reliable and valid instruments available in japan
Volume 10, Issue 3 , pp 204-213
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Breast cancer
- Quality of life (QOL)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Departments of Endocrine Surgery, Japan
- 2. Hygiene and Public Health II, Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Japan
- 3. Lnstitute for Scientific Research of Stress, Public Health Research Foundation, Japan
- 4. School of Health Sciences and Nursing, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Japan
- 5. Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Center Hospital, Japan
- 6. Cinza Prima Clinic, Japan
- 7. Department of Preventive Medicine, University of Tokushima Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
- 8. Department of Surgery, Breast and Thyroid Division, Kawasaki Medical School, Japan
- 9. Department of Surgery, National Shikoku Cancer Center, Japan
- 10. Department of Breast Surgery, National Cancer Center Research Institute, Japan
- 11. Department of Radiology, Shinshu University School of Medicine, Japan
- 12. Department of Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, Kyoto University Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
- 13. Department of Surgery II, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Japan