Non-Specific abdominal pain in pre-menopausal women
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Non-specific abdominal pain (NSAP) is a well-recognized clinical problem which places a significant burden on health resources. We studied 100 premenopausal women who were admitted consecutively through the Accident and Emergency Department of the Mater Misericordiae Hospital to assess final diagnosis, duration of hospital stay, extent of investigation, recurrence of symptoms and final diagnosis. The patients were placed in the following diagnostic categories: Gynaecological (30%), Renal (9%), Acute appendicitis (23%), Miscellaneous (9%) and Non-specific abdominal pain which accounted for 29% of the admissions. The mean duration of hospital stay for patients with NSAP was 67 days, one third underwent specialized investigations and one third underwent appendicectomies for normal appendices. On review, one year after admission, 66% of patients admitted with NSAP were asymptomatic.
- DeDombal, F. T. Acute abdominal pain — an OMGE survey. Scand. J. Gastroenterol. 1979: 14 (suppl.), 29–43.
- Rang, E. H., Fairburn, A. S., Acheson, E. D. An enquiry into the incidence and prognosis of undiagnosed abdominal pain treated in hospital. J. Prev. Soc. Med. 1970: 24, 47–51.
- Jess, P., Bjerregaard, B., Brynitz, S. et al. Prognosis of acute nonspecific abdominal pain. Am. J. Surg. 1982: 144, 338–40. CrossRef
- Gray, D. W. R. and Collin, J. Non-specific abdominal pain as a cause of acute admission to hospital. Br. J. Surg. 1987: Vol 74, April, Pgs. 239–242. CrossRef
- Pullan, C. R., Jalse, P. C., Sims, D. G., Alexander, F. W., Gardner, P. S., Codd, A. A. Viruses and acute pain in childhood. Arch Dis. Childh. 1979: 54, 780–2. CrossRef
- Wenham, P. W. Viral and bacterial associations of acute abdominal pain in children. Br. J. Clin. Pract. 1982: 36, 321–5.
- Morrison, J. D. Yersinia and viruses in acute non-specific abdominal pain and appendicitis. Br. J. Surg. 1981: 68, 284–86. CrossRef
- Blanton, S., Kirk, V. A psychiatric study of 61 appendicectomy cases. Ann. Surg. 1947: 126, 305–14.
- Wilson, D. H., Wilson, R. G., Walmsley, R. G., Horrocks, J. C., DeDombal, F. T. Diagnosis of acute adominal pain in the accident and emergency department. Br. J. Surg. 1977: 64, 259–4. CrossRef
- Paterson-Brown, S. and Vipond, M. N. Modem aids to clinical decision-making in the acute abdomen. Br. J. Surg. 1990: 77, 13–18. CrossRef
- Non-Specific abdominal pain in pre-menopausal women
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 160, Issue 11 , pp 344-346
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors