A Study of emotion and behaviour in children attending a normal school in an urban area
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Anxiety, depression, self-esteem, behavioural deviance and prosocial behaviour were studied in children attending a normal school in a disadvantaged urban area, using self-rated and teacher-ratedquestionnaires. Theprevalence of depression was rated as 5%. 15% described frequent suicidal thoughts. 40% scored as behaviourally deviant. Significant correlations were found between the variables studied. The rates of depression and behavioural deviance were higher than in comparable British populations.
- Fitzgerald, M., Kinsella, A. (1987) Behavioural Deviance in an Irish Urban and Rural Town Sample. Ir. J. Med. Sci. 156: pp. 219-221 CrossRef
- Rutter, M. (1974) Attainment and Adjustment in two geographical areas. Br. J. Psych. 125: pp. 250-250
- O’Rourke, M. and Fitzgerald, M. An Epidemiological Study of Behavioural Deviance, Hyperactivity and Physical Abnormality in a Dublin Primary School Population. Ir. J. Psychiatry. 1985 Spring: 12–16.
- Rutter, M., Tizard, J., Whitmore, K. (1970) Education, Health and Behaviour. Longmans, London
- Lynch, K. (1987) Prevalence of Child Psychiatric Disorders in 10–11 year olds. Ir. J. Psychiatry 8: pp. 20-24
- Albert, N., Beck, A. (1975) The Incidence of Depression in Children and Adolescents. J. of YouthandAdolescencePsychiatry 4: pp. 301-307
- Puig-Antich, J. (1978) Pre-pubertal Depressive Disorder. J. Am. Acad. Child Psychiat. 17: pp. 695-707 CrossRef
- Bagley, C. et al. Personality, Self Esteem and Prejudice. Guildford, Saxon House 1979.
- Weir, K., Duveen, G. (1981) Further Development of the Prosocial Behaviour Questionnaire. J. Child Psychol. Psychiat. 22: pp. 357-374 CrossRef
- Spielberger, C. (1970) Manual for the State Trait Anxiety Inventory. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto
- Birleson, P. (1981) The Validity of Depressive Disorderin Childhood and the Development of a Self Rating Scale. J. Child Psychol. Psychiat. 22: pp. 73-88 CrossRef
- Coopersmith, S. (1981) Self Esteem Inventories. Consulting Psychologists Press, Palo Alto
- Leader, H. et al. The incidence of Major Depressive Disorder in children attending a Child Guidance Clinic. (Unpublished).
- Jorm, A. F. (1986) Behaviour Problems in specific reading retardation and general reading backwardness. J. Child Psychol. Psychiat. 27: pp. 33-43 CrossRef
- Kaslow, N.J. (1984) Social-Cognitive and Cognitive Correlates of Depression in Children. J. Abn. Child Psychol. 12: pp. 605-620 CrossRef
- Ingham, J. G. (1986) Self-esteem, Vulnerability and Psychiatric Disorder in the Community. Br. J. Psychiatry 148: pp. 375-385 CrossRef
- Pfeffer, C. R. (1980) Suicidal Behaviour in latency-age children. J. A. Acad. Child Psychiatry 19: pp. 703-710
- Hawton, K. Suicide and Attempted Suicide among Children and Adolescents. Beverley Hills. Sage. 1986.
- A Study of emotion and behaviour in children attending a normal school in an urban area
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 158, Issue 6 , pp 144-147
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors