Evaluation of Promising Sugarcane Genotypes for Drought
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Promising sugarcane genotypes numbering fifteen were evaluated in the field for their tolerance to drought. The reduction in individual leaf area, leaf number, leaf area index and tiller population was significant due to treatment. Number of millable canes was significantly less in drought treatment (67,770/ha) as compared to the control ( 82,200/ha). Cane yield was reduced by 37% in drought treatment. Mean sugar yield was 9.96t/ha in control, while in drought it was 5.59t/ha. Among the genotypes evaluated Co 95003, Co 95005 and Co 95006 recorded higher cane and sugar yield even under drought treatment indicating their resistance potential.
- Naidu, K.M., Venkataramana, S. (1989) Sugar yield and harvest index in water stressed cane varieties. Sugarcane 6: pp. 5-7
- Panse, V.G, Sukhatme, P.V. (1985) Statistical methods for agricultural workers. Indian Council of Agricultural Research, New Delhi
- Prasada Rao, K.K. (1983) Package of practices for sugarcane subjected to drought in Andra Pradesh. Drought management of sugarcane and drip irrigation. P.29–32.
- Ramanathan, S and Durai, R. (2003). Sugarcane cultivation problems and prospects.Agenda Notes-35th Meeting of Sugarcane Research and Development workers of Tamil Nadu. Sep’8–9 (2003) pp8–11.
- Parashar, K.S, Hukkeri, S.B., Sadaphal, M.N., Sharma, R.P. (1980) Studies on the effect of Soil water stress and levels of N on spring planted sugarcane. Proc. ISSCT 17: pp. 494-503
- Singh, Sudama, Sanjiva Reddy, M. (1980) Growth yield and juice quality performance of sugarcane varieties under different soil moisture regimes in relation to drought resistance. Proc. ISSCT 17: pp. 541-555
- Vasantha, S, Gururaja Rao, P.N. (2003) Influence of moisture stress on the activity of oxidative enzymes in sugarcane. Indian. J. Plant. Physiol. 8: pp. 405-407
- Venkataramana, S. (2003). Varietal response to moisture stress in sugarcane.Agenda Notes-35th Meeting of sugarcane Research and Development workers of Tamil Nadu. Sep’8-9, (2003) pp.20-24.
- Yang, S. J. (1979) The role of soil moisture on the growth and yield of sugarcane under sub tropical climate. Taiwan Sug. 26: pp. 84-95
- Evaluation of Promising Sugarcane Genotypes for Drought
Volume 7, Issue 2-3 , pp 82-83
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer India
- Additional Links
- Moisture stress
- sugar yield and CCS%
- Industry Sectors