Glandular differentiation in cardiac myxomata
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
We present a case of cardiac myxoma associated with Carney’s complex in which histological examination revealed numerous well formed glandular structures at the base of the lesion. Immunoperoxidase studies showed these glands to be epithelial-like with positive staining for EMA, CEA and CAM 5.2. Mucin stains were also positive. The presence of these gland-like structures within a cardiac myxoma, unless recognised as part of the tumour, may lead to the erroneous diagnosis of secondary adenocarcinoma. We reviewed eighteen further cardiac myxomata of which two were associated with Carney’s complex. Of these eighteen tumours only one, not associated with Carney’s complex, contained glandular structures and these were poorly formed.
- Wold, L. E., Lie, J. T. Cardiac myxoma: A clinicopathological profile. Am. J. Pathol. 1980: 101, 219–240.
- Lie, J. T. The identity and histogenesis of cardiac myxoma, a controversy put to rest. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 1989: 113, 724–726.
- Pritchard, R. W. Tumours of the heart: Review of the subject and report of one hundred and fifty cases. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 1951: 51, 98–128.
- Griffiths, G. C. A review of primary tumours of the heart. Prog. Cardiovasc. 1965: Disc; 7, 465–479. CrossRef
- Carney, J. A., Gordon, H., Carpenter, P. C.et al. The complex of myxomas, spotty pigmentation and endocrine overactivity. Medicine 1985: 64(4), 270–283. CrossRef
- Anderson, W. A. D., Dmytryk, E. T. Primary tumor of the heart containing epithelium-like elements. Am. J. Path. 1946: 22, 337–349.
- Johansson, L. Histogenesis of cardiac myxomas. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 1989: 113, 735–741.
- Abenoza, P., Sibley, R. K. Cardiac myxoma with gland-like structures. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 1986: 110, 736–739.
- Goldman, B. I., Frydman, C., Harpaz, N.et al. Glandular cardiac myxomas. Cancer 1987: 59, 1767–1775. CrossRef
- Thornton, C. M., Handley, J., Bingham, E. A., Walsh, M. Y. Psammomatous melanotic schwannoma arising in the dermis in a patient with Carney’s complex. Histopathology 1992: 20, 71–73. CrossRef
- Glandular differentiation in cardiac myxomata
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 162, Issue 3 , pp 95-97
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors