Analysis of deoxynivalenol and de-epoxy-deoxynivalenol in animal tissues by liquid chromatography after clean-up with an immunoaffinity column
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method for the determination of deoxynivalenol (DON) and its metabolite de-epoxy-deoxynivalenol (de-epoxy-DON) in blood serum, urine, faeces/digesta and bile fluid is described. Liquid samples (urine and bile after incubation with ß-glucuronidase) were extracted with ethyl acetate on a ChemElut column. Freeze dried faeces and digesta were extracted with a mixture of acetonitrile and water. For clean-up, serum and urine extracts could be directly applied to an immunoaffinity column (IAC). A pre-treatment prior to the IAC clean-up was necessary in the case of bile and faeces/digesta. DON and de-epoxy-DON were determined by high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) with diode-array detection (DAD).
Because of the clean extracts, low detection limits in the range of 4 ng/ml (serum) to 20 ng/g (dried faeces/digesta) were achieved. The recovery of DON and de-epoxy-DON was in the range of 75–89% and 64–85%, respectively. DON was found in blood serum, urine, bile, digesta and faeces of pigs from several feeding studies with DON contaminated feed; de-epoxy-DON could be detected only in digesta, faeces and urine.
- Dänicke, S., Valenta, H., Ueberschär, K.-H. (2000) in Dänicke, S., Oldenburg, E. (eds.) Risikofaktoren für die Fusariumtoxinbildung in Futtermitteln und Vermeidungsstrategien bei der Futtermittelerzeugung und Fütterung. Landbauforschung Völkenrode, Sonderheft 216: 108–139.
- Dahlem, A.M., Swanson, S.P., Cote, L.-M., Yoshizawa, T., Buck, W.B. (1986) Quantitation of deoxynivalenol and its metabolite in bovine urine and feces by gas chromatography with electron-capture detection. J. Chromatogr. 378: 226–231. CrossRef
- Razzazi, E., Böhm, J., Kettner, B., Hochsteiner, W., Kahlbacher, H. (2002) Metabolisierung von Deoxynivalenol beim Schwein: Bestimmung von DON und DOM-1 im Urin vom Schwein. Mycotoxin Res. 18A: 84–88.
- VDLUFA-Methodenbuch III — 5. Ergänzung 200X, VDLUFA-Verlag, Darmstadt
- Valenta, H., Dänicke, S., Wolff, J. (2002) Vergleich einer HPLC- und einer ELISA-Methode zur Bestimmung von Deoxynivalenol in Mühlenstäuben, Kleien und Getreide. 114. VDLUFA-Kongress, 16.–20.9.2002, Leipzig, VDLUFA-Schriftenreihe, in Druck.
- Janes, W., Schuster, M. (2001) Determination of Deoxynivalenol in Blood, Bile, Urine and Excrement Samples from Swine Using Immunoaffinity Chromatography and LC-UV-Detection. Mycotoxin Res. 17: 88–95. CrossRef
- Dänicke, S., Goyarts, T., Valenta, H., Razzazi, E. and Böhm, J. (2003) On the effects of increasing deoxynivalenol (DON) concentrations in pig feed on growth performance and utilization of nutrients and on DON metabolism.submitted
- Döll, S., Dänicke, S., Ueberschär, K.-H., Valenta, H., Schnurrbusch, U., Ganter, M., Klobasa, F., Flachowsky, G. (2003) Effects of graded levels ofFusarium toxin contaminated maize in diets for female weaned piglets. Arch, Anim. Nutr., in press.
- Analysis of deoxynivalenol and de-epoxy-deoxynivalenol in animal tissues by liquid chromatography after clean-up with an immunoaffinity column
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 51-55
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Additional Links
- animal tissues