A malignant blue naevus, with metastasis to regional lymph node
- D. O’B. Hourihane
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A CASE of malignant blue naevus of the foot with metastasis to an inguinal lymph node is reported and the histological features which led to the diagnosis are presented.
Blue naevi and cellular blue naevi are unusual pigment-producing lesions which do not arise from epidermal melanoblasts but appear to be derived from migrating neural crest cells as suggested by Masson (1951). Malignant blue naevi are extremely rare, and the receipt of such a case has led to the presentation of this report.
- Allen, A. C. 1967. The Skin, 2nd Edition, London. Heinemann Medical Books.
- Fisher, E. R. 1956. Malignant blue naevus. Arch. Dermatol., 74: 227–231.
- Goldman, R. L. and Friedman, N. B. 1967. Blue naevus of the uterine cervix. Cancer, 20: 210–214. CrossRef
- Johnson, W. T. and Helwig, E. B. 1969. Benign naevus cells in the capsule of lymph nodes. Cancer, 23: 747–753. CrossRef
- Kwittken, J. and Negri, L. 1966. Malignant blue naevus. Case report of a negro woman. Arch. Dermatol., 94: 64–69. CrossRef
- Masson, P. 1951. My conception of cellular naevi. Cancer, 4: 9–38. CrossRef
- Merkow, L. P., Burt, R. C., Hayeslip, D. W., Newton, F. J., Slifkin, M. and Parto, M. 1969. A cellular and malignant blue naevus: a light and electron microscopic study. Cancer, 24: 888–896. CrossRef
- Nakai, T., Rappaport, H. 1963. A study of the histogenesis of experimental melanotic tumours resembling cellular blue naevi: the evidence in support of their neurogenic origin. Amer. J. Path., 43: 175–200.
- Nigogosyan, G., de la Pava, S., Pickren, J. W. and Woodruff, M. W. 1963. Blue naevus of the prostate gland. Cancer, 16: 1097–1099. CrossRef
- Rodriguez, H. A. and Ackerman, L. V. 1968. Cellular blue naevus. Clinicopathologic study of forty-five cases. Cancer, 21: 393–405. CrossRef
- A malignant blue naevus, with metastasis to regional lymph node
Irish Journal of Medical Science
Volume 140, Issue 4 , pp 169-175
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Central Histopathology Laboratory of the Federated Dublin Voluntary Hospitals, School of Pathology, Trinity College, Dublin