Computer simulation of the dartmouth process for separation of dilute Ethanol/Water mixtures
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
High energy costs are associated with the recovery of ethanol from fermentation broths. This paper discusses a computer simulation of the Dartmouth Process, which aims to reduce these costs by the use of IHOSR distillation, extensive heat integration, and extractive distillation using a salt.
To resolve the uncertainty in modeling alcohol-water-salt vapor-liquid equilibrium, a new and more accurate activity coefficient model was used. An Aspen™ model was used to generate capital and energy costs for a range of ethanol concentrations in the feed. Simulation results show that the Dartmouth Process offers substantial economic advantages over benzene azeotropic distillation, particularly at low feed concentrations.
- Abrams, D. S. and Prausnitz, J. M. (1975),AIChE J. 21(1), 116. CrossRef
- Aspen Technology, Inc., 251 Vassar Street, Cambridge, MA 02139.
- Chem Systems, Inc. (1984), “Economic Feasibility Study of an Enzymatic Hydrolysis Based Ethanol Plant with Prehydrolysis Pretreatment,” SERI Subcontract No. XX-3-03097-2, New York.
- Cook, R. and Furter, W. F. (1968),Can. J. Chem. Eng. 46, 119. CrossRef
- Katzen, R. and Associates (1978), US Dept. of Commerce, HCP/J6639-01.
- Lynd, L. R. (1988),Advances in Biochemical Engineering/Biotechnology, Fiechter, A., ed., Springer/Verlag.
- Lynd, L. R. and Grethlein, H. E. (1984),Chem. Eng. Prog.
- Lynd, L. R. and Grethlein, H. E. (1986),AIChE J. 32(8).
- Schmitt, D. (1979),Dr. Ing. thesis, University of Karlsruhe, West Germany.
- Schmitt, D. and Vogelpohl, A. (1983),Sep. Sci. Technol. 18(6), 547. CrossRef
- Torres, J. L. (1988),D. Eng. thesis, Thayer School of Engineering, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH.
- Torres, J. L., Lynd, L. R., and Grethlein, H. E.AIChE J., submitted.
- Venkatasubramanian, K. and Keim, C. (1985),Starch Conversion Technology, van Beynum, G. M. A. and Roels, J. A., eds., Dekker, NY.
- Computer simulation of the dartmouth process for separation of dilute Ethanol/Water mixtures
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 20-21, Issue 1 , pp 621-633
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Ethanol separation
- computer simulation
- Industry Sectors