Effect of transient variation of temperature on acid hydrolysis of aspen hemicellulose
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thermal diffusivities of Aspen wood were experimentally determined and subsequently incorporated into a theoretical model to establish the effect of transient temperature variation within a solid substrate during acid catalyzed hydrolysis of hemicellulose. The simulation results were analyzed to evaluate the impact of particle size on hemicellulose hydrolysis. Total xylose yield was found to decrease for increasing chip size and this effect was intensified by increasing reaction temperature. Quantitative criteria were established for assessment of transient temperature effect on xylose yield and reaction time at various reaction conditions.
- Beck, S. R. and Wang, T. (1982), AIChE National Meeting, Orlando, FL.
- Bhandari, N., McDonald, D. G., and Bakhchi, N. N. (1984),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 26, 320. CrossRef
- Brennan, A. H., Schell, D. J., Hoagland, W., and Werdene, P. G. (1987), 9th Symp. for Biotechnol., Boulder, CO.
- Cahela, D. R., Lee, Y. Y., and Chambers, R. P. (1983),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 25, 3–17. CrossRef
- Kim, S. B. and Lee, Y. Y. (1986),Biotechnol. Bioeng. Symp. 17, 71–84.
- Kobayashi, T. and Sakai, Y. (1956),Bull. Agr. Chem. Soc. Japan,20, 1.
- Fan, L. T., Lee, Y. H., and Breadmore, D. H. (1980),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 22, 177. CrossRef
- Kelsey, R. G. and Shafezdah, F. (1980),Biotechnol. Bioeng. 22, 1025. CrossRef
- Grohmann, K., Torget, R., and Himmel, M. (1985),Biotechnol. Bioeng. Symp. 15, 59–80.
- Stamm, A. and Harris, E. (1953),Chemical Processing of Wood, Chemical Publishing, 153.
- Effect of transient variation of temperature on acid hydrolysis of aspen hemicellulose
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 20-21, Issue 1 , pp 107-117
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Thermal diffusivity
- hemicellulose hydrolysis
- acid catalyzed
- transient temperature variation
- Industry Sectors