The circular and time reversal tests reconsidered in economic price index theory
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
In this paper, a generalized definition of the well known economic price index is used to derive some similarities and dissimilarities between statistical and economic price index theory. The relationships between statistical and economic index numbers are analyzed by means of two tests taken from axiomatic (statistical) approaches which can also be formulated in an economic context.
- Diewert, W.E. , “Exact and Superlative Index Numbers,” Journal of Econometrics 4, 115–145. CrossRef
- Diewert, W.E. , “Duality Approaches to Microeconomic Theory,” in: K.J. Arrow and M.D. Intriligator (eds.),Handbook of Mathematical Economics II, North-Holland, Amsterdam, 535–599.
- Diewert, W.E. , “The Theory of the Cost-of-Living Index and the Measurement of Welfare Change,” in: W.E. Diewert (ed.),Conference on Price Measurement, Statistics Canada, Ottawa, 163–233.
- Eichhorn, W. and J. Voeller , “Axiomatic Foundation of Price Indexes and Purchasing Power Parities,” in: W.E. Diewert (ed.),Conference on Price Measurement, Statistics Canada, Ottawa, 411–450.
- Fisher, I. , “The Making of Index Numbers,” Houghton-Mifflin, Boston.
- Fuchs-Seliger, S., U. Niemeyer and A. Pfingsten , “An Analysis of Statistically-Motivated Tests in Economic Price Index Theory,” in: M. Beckmann et al. (eds.),Methods of Operations Research 54, Hain, Konigstein, 233–244.
- Gorman, W.M. , “Separable Utility and Aggregation,” Econometrica 27, 469–481. CrossRef
- Krtscha, M. , “Über Preisindices und deren axiomatische Charakterisierung,” Dissertation, University of Karlaruhe.
- Lau, L.J. , “On Exact Index Numbers,” Review of Economics and Statistics 61, 73–82. CrossRef
- Pfingsten, A. , “A Note on the True Factorial Price Index— Addendum to a Note by Balk,” Statistische Hefte 26, 65–69.
- Pollak, R.A. , “The Theory of the Cost-of-Living Index,” in: W.E. Diewert (ed.),Conference on Price Measurement, Statistics Canada, Ottawa, 87–161.
- Samuelson, P.A. and S. Swamy , “Invariant Economic Index Numbers and Canonical Duality: Survey and Synthesis,” American Economic Review 64, 566–593.
- The circular and time reversal tests reconsidered in economic price index theory
Volume 28, Issue 1 , pp 271-284
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors