Microflora of the honeybee gastrointestinal tract
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Microorganisms in the midgut and rectum of the honeybee were enumerated and characterized. Counts of aerobic microorganisms were distinctly lower than counts of anaerobes (105–106 viable cells per g of intestinal contentvs. 108–109 per g). Total numbers of anaerobic microorganisms were almost identical with the count of anaerobic Gram-positive acid resistant rods. A higher number of coliform bacteria andBacillus spp. was detected in the rectum (105 per g). Anaerobic and aerobic microorganisms, coliforms, enterococci,Bacillus spp.,Pseudomonas spp. and yeasts were found in all bees; lactobacilli, staphylococci and moulds were not found.
- Gilliam M.: Microbial ecology of honeybees. pp. 217–220 inProc. 31st Internat. Apicultural Congr., Warsaw (Poland) 1987. Apimondia Publishing House, Bucharest (Rumania) 1987.
- Gilliam M., Morton H.L., Prest D.B., Martin R.D., Wickerham J.: The mycoflora of adult worker honeybees (Apis melifera): effect of 2,4,5-T and caging of bee colonies.J.Invertebr.Pathol. 30, 50–54 (1977). CrossRef
- Holt G.J., Krieg N.R., Sneath P.H.A.L., Staley J.T.:Bergey’s Manual of Determinative Bacteriology, p. 787. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore 1994.
- Máchová M.: Intestine microflora of bees. (In Slovak)Včelár 10, 156 (1996).
- Máchová M., Rada V., Huk J., Smekal F.: Development of probiotics for bees.Apiacta 32, 99–111 (1997).
- Rada V., Máchová M., Huk J., Marounek M., Dušková D.: Microflora in the honeybee digestive tract: counts, characteristics and sensitivity to veterinary drugs.Apidologie 28, 357–365 (1997). CrossRef
- Smolska-Szymczewska B.: The influence of the chosen chemotherapeutics on the intestinal flora of the honeybee.Apiacta 24, 71–78 (1989).
- Snodgrass R.E., Erickson E.H.: The anatomy of the honeybee, pp. 103–169 inThe Hive and the Honey Bee. Dadant and Sons, Hamilton (USA) 1992.
- Microflora of the honeybee gastrointestinal tract
Volume 49, Issue 2 , pp 169-171
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Microbiology, Slovak Agricultural University, Nitra, Slovakia
- 2. Department of Poultry Science and Small Animal Husbandry, Slovak Agricultural University, Nitra, Slovakia
- 3. Department of Genetics and Breeding Biology, Slovak Agricultural University, Nitra, Slovakia