HPLC and FPLC
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Automated chromatography techniques such as high-performance (high-pressure) liquid chromatography (HPLC) or fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC) represent a promising, new approach toward resolving the complex protein mixture of pancreatic juice. To achieve highly reproducible and rapid resolution of pancreatic protein profiles, reversed-phase, hydrophobic interaction, and ion-exchange techniques are employed. Until now, none of the respectively reported methods has provided a convenient, specific procedure for diagostic purposes. However, experimental data prove that these methods are very sensitive and furthermore, easy to handle. Therefore, it seems possible to utilize such methods for diagnostics in future.
- Rinderknecht H. Pancreatic secretory enzymes. The exocrine pancreas: biology, pathobiology, and diseases. Go VWL, ardner JD, Brooks FP, Lebenthal E, DiMagno EP, Scheele GA eds. Raven Press, New York, 1985; 163–183.
- Rinderknecht H, Boyd EJS, Wormsley KG. Laboratory tests in the diagnosis of the chronic pancreatic diseases. Tests on pure pancreatic juice.Int J Pancreatol 1987; 2: 291–304.
- Figarella C, Clemente F, Guy O. On zymogens of human pancreatic juice. FEBS Lett 1969; 3: 351–353. CrossRef
- DeCaro A, Figarella C, Guy O. The two human chymotrysinogens: purification and characterization.Biochem Biophys Acta 1975; 379: 431–443.
- White TT, Allan BJ, Schilling JJ, Miyashita H. Human pancreatic secretory protein profiles in pancreas cancer and chronic pancreatitis.Dig Dis Sci 1985; 30: 200–203. CrossRef
- Schneider MU, Rösch W, Domschke S, Domschke W. Pancreatic juice proteins associated with chronic pancreatitis and adenocarcinoma of the pancreas.Scand J Gastroenterol 1984; 19: 139–144.
- Scheele G, Bartelt D, Bieger W. Characterization of human exocrine pancreatic proteins by two-dimensional isoelectric focusing/sodium dodecyl sulfate gel electrophoresis.Gastroenterology 1981; 80: 461–473.
- Scheele G. Two-dimensional electrophoresis in the analysis of exocrine pancreatic proteins. The exocrine pancreas: biology, pathobiology, and disease. Go VWL, Gardner JD, Brooks FP, Lebenthal E, DiMagno EP, Scheele GA eds. Raven Press, New York, 1985; 185–192.
- Hancock WS, Sparrow JT. The separation of proteins by reversed phase high-performance liquid chromatography. High-performance liquid chromatography: advances and perspectives. Horvath C ed. Academic Press, New York, 1983; 49–85.
- Kerkowitz SA, Henry MP, Nau DR, Crane LJ. A strategic approach to the use of silica-based chromatography media (bonded phases) for protein purification.Am Lab 1987; 19: 33–42.
- Huang JX, Guiochon G. Application of preparative highperformance liquid chromatography to the separation and purification of peptides and proteins.J Chromatography 1989; 492: 431–469. CrossRef
- Padfield PJ, Griffin M, Case RM. Separation of guinea pig pancreatic juice proteins by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.J Chromatography 1986; 369: 133–141. CrossRef
- Padfield PJ, Case RM. Release of individual enzymes from guinea pig pancreas following stimulation with CCK-8 or CCK-33.Pancreas 1987; 2: 439–446. CrossRef
- Göke B, Keim V, Meier T, Arnold R, Adler G. Identification of rat pancreatic secretory proteins after separation by highperformance liquid chromatography.Pancreas 1988; 3: 199–20. CrossRef
- Scheele G, Kern H. The exocrine pancreas. Molecular and cellular basis of digestion. Desnuelle P, Sjostrom H, Noren O eds. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1986; 173–194.
- Goke B, Meyer T, Loth H, Adler G, Arnold R. Characterization of phospholipase A2 activity in aspirates of human pancreatic pseudocysts after isolation by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.Klin Wochenschr 1989; 67: 131–135. CrossRef
- Goke B, Keim V, Dagom JC, Arnold R, Adier G. Resolution of human exocrine pancreatic juice proteins by reversedphase high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC).Pancreas 1990; 5: 261–266. CrossRef
- Hancock WS, Sparrow JT. Proteins. HPLC analysis of biological compounds. Hancock WS, Sparrow JT eds. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1984; 26: 230–253.
- Goke B, Printz H, Keim V, Weidenbach F, Arnold R, Adler G. Regulation of rat pancreatic secretory proteins after oral administration of a protease inhibitor analyzed in pancreatic juice and isolated zymogen granules by high performance liquid chromatography.Pancreas 1988, 3: 597. CrossRef
- Printz H, Emmerich B, Loth H, Goke B. Protein Profiles in rabbit pancreatic juice analyzed by HPLC after stimulation of secretion by secretin and cerulein,Z Gastroenterologie 1990; 28: 383–388.
- Nugent KD, Slattery TK, Lundgard RP, Wehr CT, Seiter CH, Burton WG. Automated two-dimensional protein analysis with an optimated RP-HPLC first dimension. BioChromatography 1988; 3: 168–173.
- Dong MW, Gant JR, Larsen BR. Advances in fast reversedphase chromatography in proteins.BioChromatography 1989; 4: 19–34.
- Fausnaugh JC, Pfannkoch E, Gupta S, Regnier FE. Highperformance hydrophobic interaction chromatography of proteins.Analytical Biochem 1984; 137: 464–472. CrossRef
- Padfield PJ, Case RM. Separation of the proteins present in pancreatic juice using hydrophobic interaction chromatography.Analytical Biochem 1988; 171: 294–299. CrossRef
- Kersten U, Fehmann HC, Adler G, Göke B. Resolution of human and rat exocrine pancreatic enzyme profiles by hydrophobic interaction chromatography.Pancreas 1988; 3: 602.
- Pascual R, Burgos FJ, Salva M, Soriano F, Merdez E, Aviles FX. Purification and properties of five different forms of human procarboxypeptidases.Eur J Biochem 1989; 197: 609–616. CrossRef
- Parvez H, Kato Y, Parvez S eds. Gel permeation and ionexchange chromatography of proteins and peptides: progress in HPLC. Science Press, Utrecht, 1985, 1: 133–147.
- Keim V, Fuchs M, Usadel KH. Analysis of human and rat pancreatic secretory proteins by fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC).Gastroenterology 1989; 96: A252.
- Fuchs M, Keim V. Separation of rat pancreatic secretory proteins by cation-exchange fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC).J Chromatography, in press.
- HPLC and FPLC
International Journal of Pancreatology
Volume 11, Issue 2 , pp 109-116
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Pancreatic juice
- Industry Sectors