Dilute-Acid Pretreatment of Corn Residues and Short-Rotation Woody Crops
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
As a prerequisite for the enzymatic saccharification or simultaneous saccharification and fermentation process for ethanol synthesis, a dilute-acid pretreatment of the biomass has been shown to be a very effective first step in the yeast-catalyzed bioprocess. Three hardwoods (silver maple, sycamore, and black locust) and two corn residues (cobs and stover) were chosen and subjected to prehydrolysis with dilute sulfuric acid at 140 and 160 °C for reaction times ranging from 5 to 60 min. Although the hemicelluloses from all five samples could be completely hydrolyzed at both 140 and 160 °C, hydrolysis at 160 °C for the woods and stover produced a superior substrate for the cellulase enzyme from Trichoderma reesei, in which > 90% of the cellulose was hydrolyzed by the enzyme. Corn cobs produced an excellent substrate after only 5 min at 140°C. Small amounts of lignin and glucan were also solubilized by the acid in all samples.
- Wright, J. D. (1988),Energy Progress 8, No, 2, 71–78.
- Grohmann, K., Himmel, M., Rivard, C, Tucker, M., Baker, J., Torget, R., and Graboski, M., (1984),Biotech. Bioeng. Symposium 14, 139–157.
- Grohmann, K., Torget, R., and Himmel, M. (1985),Biotech. Bioeng. Symposium 15, 59–80.
- Grohmann, K., Torget, R., and Himmel, M. (1986),Biotech. Bioeng. Symposium 17, 135–151.
- Himmel, M., Tucker, M., Baker, J., Rivard, C, Oh, K., and Grohmann, K. (1985),Biotech. Bioeng. Symposium 15, 39–58.
- Torget, R. (1985), Kinetics of dilute sulfuric acid pretreatment of wheat straw. MS Thesis, Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO.
- Torget, R., Himmel, M., Wright, J., and Grohmann, K. (1988),Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 17, 89–104. CrossRef
- Torget, R., Werdene, P., Himmel, M., and Grohmann, K. (1990),Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology,24/25, 115–126. CrossRef
- Grethlein, H. E. (1980),US Patent No. 4, 237, 226.
- Grehlein, H. E., Allen, D. C, and Converse, A. O. (1984),Biotech. Bioeng. 26, 1498–1505. CrossRef
- Grethlein, H. E. (1985),Bio/Technology 3, 155–160. CrossRef
- Allen, C. D., Grethlein, H. E., and Converse, A. O. (1983),Biotech. Bioeng. Symposium 13, 99–111.
- Knappert, D., Grethlein, H., and Converse, A. (1980),Biotech. Bioeng. 22, 1449–1463. CrossRef
- Knappert, D., Grethlein, H., and Converse, A. (1981),Biotech. Bioeng. Symposium 11, 67–77.
- Sudo, K., Shimizu, K., Ishii, T., Fujii, T., and Nagasawa, S. (1986),Holzforschung 40, 339–345.
- Ghose, T. K. (1987),Pure and Appl. Chem. 59, 257–268. CrossRef
- Himmel, M. (1986),Biotech. Bioeng. 28, 126–128. CrossRef
- Moore, W. E., and Johnson, D. B. (1967),Procedures for the Chemical Analysis of Wood and Wood Products, (USDA Forest Products Laboratory, Madison, WI).
- Official Test Methods, TAPPI, Atlanta, Georgia (1983).
- Dilute-Acid Pretreatment of Corn Residues and Short-Rotation Woody Crops
Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
Volume 28-29, Issue 1 , pp 75-86
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Humana Press
- Additional Links
- Dilute-acid pretreatment
- short-rotation crops
- herbaceous crops
- cellulase digestion
- Industry Sectors